Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnard aims to take chance at Reds [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Lee Barnard is determined to convince Mark Yates he does not need to sign another striker before the transfer window closes.
The Crawley Town boss has been scouring the loan market for a goalscorer ever since Rhys Murphy returned to Oldham before Christmas.
Murphy’s departure, after scoring nine goals in 15 games for Reds, has left a gaping hole up front which Yates has struggled to fill on his limited budget.
Barnard has been on the fringes at the Checkatrade.com Stadium for much of the season following his arrival from Southend in the summer but has started the two of the last three games as Yates attempts to plug the gap.
The former Southampton frontman is set to keep his place at home to Notts County today after setting up Matt Harrold’s winner in the 1-0 victory against Cambridge United last weekend and knows it is a chance to prove a point.
Barnard said: “I haven’t started that many games this year so it was nice to get the nod last week and get the win as well. It has been difficult coming on as a substitute as you are either seeing the game out or chasing the game. You try to get involved but before you know it the final whistle has gone.
“It has been very frustrating. When you get to my age (31) you want to play as much as you can. Coming here I hoped to get more game time than I have but you’ve just got to keep your head down and work hard to try to get back into the team.
“It has been testing, definitely. I didn’t play much at Southend either so the last few years have been the most testing I have had in my career but it is at these times you’ve got to dig in and stay strong.
“I am confident I can start playing well and get some goals. Obviously I haven’t scored yet but I’ve been working hard for the team.
“Hopefully I will get a run of games now, the ball will start to fall at my feet and I can stick them away.”
Barnard has started just five games for Crawley but last week’s battling victory over Cambridge was the first time he had begun a game alongside Harrold.
And the former Tottenham trainee believes the pair can develop into a successful strike partnership if they are given time.
“When I have played previously this season it has usually been as the main one up top and it is hard to get in positions to score as you are working so hard for the team,” added Barnard.
“With Matty in the team as well he can do the aerial work and hopefully a few more chances will fall my way.
“I think the gaffer saw me more as a big targetman when I came to Crawley.
“I’ve had a chat with him and said I have always played with a big man and that I would like to play with somebody like Matty ideally.
“It’s funny because even in our days at Southend together (in 2008) we didn’t get much time playing as a pair so it has been frustrating as in training you can tell we can play well together and get a partnership going.
“We live only 25 minutes from each other and travel in together for training and we are both very confident can get a partnership going and play off each other. I think we can compliment each other’s games as Matty is very good in the air and although I am not the quickest I seem to read his flick ons well o fingers crossed we’ll get a run of games together to get that going.”
Reds will go into today’s clash with Notts County full of confidence after a run of seven wins in their last eight league games at home but Barnard is expecting a tough afternoon.

And he has warned his team-mates to pay particular attention to striker Izale McLeod who left the club under a cloud in August to move to Meadow Lane having refused to ever play for Crawley again.Barnard said: “Izale was here when I first came for training at Crawley in pre-season.
“He is a good player and has scored a lot of goals in his career so we are going to have to keep an eye on him.
“A lot of players tend to go back to their old clubs and score but we will be working hard to make sure that doesn’t happen.
“He is dangerous so our defenders will have to be on our toes.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here