Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Used car haggling

D

Deleted member 2719

Didn't even get to the haggling stage. Car was rejected after a drive (not by me).

Brilliant.

If you come across any others you like in the Surrey/West Sussex/Hampshire area, PM me as I have a few connections :wink:

D

Deleted member 2719

You've retired !

Ha ha, na I have just had a spell on the bench stretching my limbs each day, but now I am looking for another challenge. :banana:

Any recruiters or companies looking for a goal scorer please PM.

Way off retirement, its overrated !! :hilton:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
What are you looking for Bozza? I'm in the trade and may have access to what you want.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No idea. I just wanted to state that we'd not be taking their finance.
I thought the finance is how they make their profit. I saw a recent article somewhere (forget exactly where - might have been Guardian) that said dealers make very little mark up on the car itself?

Anyone know any better?

Ps. every time I've bought a car, I've come away with the nagging feeling that I've been well and truly done somewhere and somehow - just not sure exactly where or how.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Today it was a BMW estate thing.

Suspect we'll end up going for a Civic.

Bloke who works for me is married to sales manager of a big multi brand franchise dealer in Sussex, will pm you which one. If they have anything you fancy let me know and you'll get a decent deal :)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Virgin Atlantic Amex card. Black one in my case (costs £140 or so a year but the return on miles is a lot better than the one with no fee). Use the miles to get PE/Upper Virgin flights.

Food for thought, might look into that cheers.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], you should get at a grand off a £10K motor. We went 'looking' over a year ago at a nearby garage where they had 3 we were interested in. We got to test drive the priciest and asked what they could really sell it for. We said our top figure was £x which was no good to them. We said goodbye but 10 mins later were called back because the manager said they'd do our price. Have the balls to smile, be nice and walk out.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It all comes down to two things:
a) what the vehicle "owes" them - aka their cost price - only a fool would sell for less than that - end up going out of business.
b) its a bit of a dud, been stuck on the forecourt for a month a more with little interest - need to offload so may accept a loss to shift it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can offer you a 2011 1.6 manual(6 spd) 7 seater Toyota Verso in black with panoramic roof for a very reasonable 8K.

Thanks - I'd never heard of one of these. Had a quick look and it's not quite what we're after.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
can one of you knowledgeable car types give me some advice.

currently looking for a 2nd hand car, prob no more than a couple of years old.
I really don’t do many miles perhaps 6 or 7 thou a year and much of it around town.

I have been told that I should only consider petrol cars and will get myself in all sorts of trouble with a diesel a few years down the line.
Is this correct? I am sort of half aware behind some of this reasoning but does this thinking still apply to modern diesels

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire

I really don’t do many miles perhaps 6 or 7 thou a year and much of it around town.

I have been told that I should only consider petrol cars and will get myself in all sorts of trouble with a diesel a few years down the line.
Is this correct? I am sort of half aware behind some of this reasoning but does this thinking still apply to modern diesels

Personally I wouldn't bother with a Diesel unless you're doing over 15k a year, which your not, so petrol all the way I'd say. Diesels are getting better, but a lot of short runs doesn't do them much good.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Moreso with modern diesels, down to diesel particulate filters getting blocked if the car isn't run long enough at full operating temperature on a regular basis :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here