Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton says club will not panic in transfer window

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Blackburn have just signed Simeon Jackson ahead of tomorrows game, personally think that is a poor signing at this level.

2 in 14 for Millwall
3 in 28 for Coventry
0 in 9 for Barnsley

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
We obviously lack goals at the moment, i'm not sure that equates to needing a new striker. I think the recent run of bad results coincides with losing March and our pace/threat out wide. I look at the four forwards, Wilson, Zamora, Hemed and Baldock and that looks pretty decent to me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is £10,000,000 a season not already a big enough gamble? That is what Tony is currently subsidising the club with. How much does it have to be to guarantee promotion.

He could spend the family silver on what he thinks is the Fernando Torres who was at Liverpool and get the Torres from Chelsea.

And if every club gambled that way, there would be 21 clubs in financial ruin by May. It's not worth the risk.

You wouldn't happen to be that official club apologist [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] by any chance? ???

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Getting to the Premiership seems quite attractive?, it's ESSENTIAL! What is the point of competing at any sport unless you want to progress? More and more in today's climate the Premier League is becoming the only place to play your football, with all of the riches that getting there, and staying there, brings.

We are sooo close to achieving it, so close l can almost smell it, almost touch it.

Have you ever stopped to think what life in the Premier League would be like compared to the Championship? Yes it would be nice to play the big boys, but my wife hates my bad moods when we lose, so she is not too keen on seeing us go up.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If we do get another striker in then i would expect one to go and as we have Wilson in for the rest of the season, so for me it would either be Baldock or Hemed out?

No they need to keep the extra striker because Wilson's first loan ends at the end of January and the second loan begins 1st February and the second loan has a recall clause so we need to keep the extra striker in the squad in case they recall him

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a bit weird that the club never appears to have very much urgency about having a real go at reaching the promised land of the Premier League despite having had all the infrastructure in place for some time now. Always seem happy enough to just bump along with 20K+ STH, doing just enough to steer a steady path in the Championship. Even when we reach the play-offs we're always a couple of country miles off looking credible contenders to go up. Pretty sure this season will prove no different.

I too am slightly surprised by the level of ambition that only seems to reach a point, i.e. just BELOW what is needed. We have spent SHITLOADS on this club to get it absolutely perfect for the Prem, but the one thing we need, the final, vital piece of the jigsaw, we seem unbelievably casual about.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Need to find somebody who can clone Kaz-since he's been injured we are poor.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I too am slightly surprised by the level of ambition that only seems to reach a point, i.e. just BELOW what is needed. We have spent SHITLOADS on this club to get it absolutely perfect for the Prem, but the one thing we need, the final, vital piece of the jigsaw, we seem unbelievably casual about.

This. Absolutely :clap2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As he says we were happy with what we had when we were doing well

Yup, that'll be what he comes out with IF we're still empty-handed on Feb 1st.

I was happy we were doing well too obviously, but we are constantly hamstrung by the fact that we don't have a regular goalscorer in our midst. Hemed is top scorer with 6, after 26 games. That's on a par with Rotherham and Prestons top goalscoreres...and its not as if there's a good spread of goals through the team. 31 goals in 26 games is pathetic. Rotherham, in 20th, have scored more than us. We can scrape by when we're not conceding dopey goals every week, but now that we are doing exactly that, those chickens are well and truly roosting.

We're only 6 points adrift of automatic, which I was never expecting anyway. But if we throw away a top 6 place after the start we had, primarily through lack of investing in a quality striker (yes yes I know injuries are a factor, but we all know where the fundamental problem lies), then that will be bloody hard to take.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

If we had a nutshell, this would be in it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I genuinely believe that this seasons directive was stability and a steady progression with the squad, now we got off to a flyer which has taken everybody by surprise including the board. This has caused a slight conundrum in that we were not going to actually strengthen the squad in this window originally and our aim was to really if Chris and squad was performing really splash the cash in the summer and next season go all guns blazing. Therefore no real targets in this window and there never was, actually look around and who is available.... apart from the wonder kids in South America who in all honesty would never come to us, unless we were riding high, which we are not at this crucial moment, a few calls from agents to any journalist, or pundit and they would tell anyone who is prepared to listen we are in free fall and that was to be expected.

In short we are not the pulling power we the fans think we are & who is out there.....

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

? Seem.

Historically our dealings have predominantly been done in a way that it's only been either a scummy agent or players touting themselves about that have led us to hear about signings in advance. Better that way. No?

Do you believe that we HAVE been trying to secure the services of Calleri and/or Bolanos? Does that represent 'ambition'?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

And that frustrates me beyond belief.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Different year, same old shit.

Yeah whatever Chris.

:shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
? Seem.

Historically our dealings have predominantly been done in a way that it's only been either a scummy agent or players touting themselves about that have led us to hear about signings in advance. Better that way. No?

Do you believe that we HAVE been trying to secure the services of Calleri and/or Bolanos? Does that represent 'ambition'?

What I mean is, why do we spend (in my opinion) UNBELIEVABLE sums of money on every part of the club other than the main part that actually makes you money, ultimately?

Did we really need to spend £120m on the new stadium? Don't get me wrong, I am not for a second moaning about Bloom. I'm just slightly baffled by what seems to me as a very unbalanced way of looking at our spending. Fair enough if we don't want to go all out for the Prem, but in that case why spend such huge amounts of money on a stadium and training academy that appear designed with a Prem team in mind etc?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here