Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton says club will not panic in transfer window

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
When the club forked out on Baldock and Hemed they did so believing they had bought a quality striker, maybe the did, time will tell . But just because a player costs many millions more than another, it doesn't guarantee he will be the quality striker we need.

The world of football is littered with expensive duds and freebie superstars.

Hemed, a player that has never been prolific for any club, was unlikely to be the messiah, I've seen little to suggest he is going to score many.
I expected more goals from Baldock, but overall I'm impressed by his work rate, attitude and effort.
I'm fully aware that there are no guarantees in football, but our success at obtaining a striker since we got to the Amex has been a bit of a joke.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
With respect, we've needed a quality striker for some time, we've bought a few busts, taken punts on freebies and not got deals over the line, or worse still we've allowed capable strikers to depart. Even when we had Ulloa we needed more, we that extra bit of firepower, this season is no different, nobody is demanding we go out and buy any old Carlos Kickaball, but we've known we need a striker for a couple years, our failure to actually secure one is holding us back. Sure, we could wait until the summer to get the guy we want, but there's absolutely nothing to say we will start next season as well as we have started this one. We're in an incredible position with a great opportunity to get promoted, if that isn't the goal what is?

The thing I worry about is if we don't go up this year there is a real danger of the Kayals, Stephens, and Bongs wanting to jump ship, then we would be back to square one trying to build a squad, to a budget, that is capable of pushing for promotion.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Regardless of how it is enforced, the principle of FFP is to protect football clubs and us supporters from rogue chairman like Peter Ridsdale who got greedy, spent more than the club could afford and turned a once big club into Leeds.

Again, I'm fully aware of why FFP was introduced, but the simple reality is that the teams who flaunt it go to the Premier League(see Bournemouth, Middlesborough), those that don't tend to come up short. Yes it's a gamble but it appears it's very much worth it if promotion is achieved.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is no need to panic, the Championship is just fine. However the longer we wait to acquire a quality striker the better the chances of the clubs around us who have splashed the cash pulling further away, meaning we will probably fail again. It is just very frustrating that we can't get the players to make the final push when you look at the clubs who have managed to get into the Premier League. I have no problem staying in the Championship but a crack at the Premier League with the millions it brings does seem quite attractive!! We just seem incapable of that final push.

The club has stated its ambition is to get to the Premier League so it's no surprise that fans become more demanding in a transfer window when we are just a couple of players from having the squad to do it. Nobody should be surprised if fans get impatient when it never happens.

I see the Boro manager is after another striker and talks of a 25-30 man squad. We are buggered against that sort of investment.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The thing I worry about is if we don't go up this year there is a real danger of the Kayals, Stephens, and Bongs wanting to jump ship, then we would be back to square one trying to build a squad, to a budget, that is capable of pushing for promotion.

Definitely this, we're extremely unlikely to throw wages at them to keep them. We are in such a strong position, but just lack that vital component, complacency could set us back quite a way.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sensible stewardship means the club is being run well, within its or the chairmans means and adhering to FFP. The urgency you are advocating is another word for gambling with the clubs future by spending beyond its means.

You, like the rest of us, have absolutely no idea what is or isn't within the chairman's means. We do know, however, that the chairman is no stranger to gambling. You'd like to think that at some point he'd GO LARGE on going up. either that or hand over the reins to somebody who will. Sensible stewardship only has to go wrong once, as we came pretty close to seeing last season, and you end up having the best stadium and training ground in League One. Is the club just supposed to coast with 20K+ ST in the Championship forever? Stop building and they will stop coming, I'd suggest.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Definitely this, we're extremely unlikely to throw wages at them to keep them. We are in such a strong position, but just lack that vital component, complacency could set us back quite a way.

Hearing you. But do you think the Club IS being complacent?

I am 100% sure that everything is being done to secure a top striker and that the Club is prepared to pay what it takes to get him. Maybe the Club doesn't think it's that smart to tell us everything that they are up to behind the scenes.

It may well be that we don't manage to get any of our targets before the window shuts but I'll back myself in saying that complacency will not be the reason.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Again, I'm fully aware of why FFP was introduced, but the simple reality is that the teams who flaunt it go to the Premier League(see Bournemouth, Middlesborough), those that don't tend to come up short. Yes it's a gamble but it appears it's very much worth it if promotion is achieved.

Is £10,000,000 a season not already a big enough gamble? That is what Tony is currently subsidising the club with. How much does it have to be to guarantee promotion.

He could spend the family silver on what he thinks is the Fernando Torres who was at Liverpool and get the Torres from Chelsea.

And if every club gambled that way, there would be 21 clubs in financial ruin by May. It's not worth the risk.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Is £10,000,000 a season not already a big enough gamble? That is what Tony is currently subsidising the club with. How much does it have to be to guarantee promotion.

He could spend the family silver on what he thinks is the Fernando Torres who was at Liverpool and get the Torres from Chelsea.

And if every club gambled that way, there would be 21 clubs in financial ruin by May. It's not worth the risk.

Are you sure your not Paul Barber...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Sadly, the answer is no if Premier League football is the goal. Can I just say I am not suggesting he spends more, just that if he doesn't we won't be going up. It will need to be much more than that, have a look at what the clubs that do get promoted spend ( except for lucky Palace)

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Are you sure your not Paul Barber...

No, I couldn't take the pay cut!

but there is a reason he gets paid 1/2 a million quid a year and it isn't for his program notes.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No panic then. We'll just drift serenely into February without signing a striker, and then declare that we're "happy with what we have".

Cynical, but soooo true.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What I don't want to happen is Hughton NOT to panic in the window and end up with nothing, then panic AFTER the window by throwing in Harper because he's run out of options.

I spoke about Harper around about the time of the home game against Birmingham and around then I got the impression he wasn't quite ready for the first team but he is not a striker. I thought he was but apparently he plays more just behind the strikers.

Something to watch for tomorrow will be whether David Marshall plays tomorrow. I don't know whether we went back with a new bid in this transfer window or not but if we did and something is close then in all likelihood they will agree not to play him. If thre is no fresh bid and nothing is close then obviously he will play.

I see They just signed Simeon Jackson. That's real desperation on the part of Lambert. I know he scored the goal for Lambert that got Norwich promoted to the Premiership but a striker HE IS NOT. He flatters to deceive. One of these lads who looks great on the ball on his own but put him up against a defender then he hasn't got a clue.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There is no need to panic, the Championship is just fine. However the longer we wait to acquire a quality striker the better the chances of the clubs around us who have splashed the cash pulling further away, meaning we will probably fail again. It is just very frustrating that we can't get the players to make the final push when you look at the clubs who have managed to get into the Premier League. I have no problem staying in the Championship but a crack at the Premier League with the millions it brings does seem quite attractive!! We just seem incapable of that final push.

The club has stated its ambition is to get to the Premier League so it's no surprise that fans become more demanding in a transfer window when we are just a couple of players from having the squad to do it. Nobody should be surprised if fans get impatient when it never happens.

I see the Boro manager is after another striker and talks of a 25-30 man squad. We are buggered against that sort of investment.

Getting to the Premiership seems quite attractive?, it's ESSENTIAL! What is the point of competing at any sport unless you want to progress? More and more in today's climate the Premier League is becoming the only place to play your football, with all of the riches that getting there, and staying there, brings.

We are sooo close to achieving it, so close l can almost smell it, almost touch it.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
If we do get another striker in then i would expect one to go and as we have Wilson in for the rest of the season, so for me it would either be Baldock or Hemed out?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hemed, a player that has never been prolific for any club, was unlikely to be the messiah, I've seen little to suggest he is going to score many.
I expected more goals from Baldock, but overall I'm impressed by his work rate, attitude and effort.
I'm fully aware that there are no guarantees in football, but our success at obtaining a striker since we got to the Amex has been a bit of a joke.

Hemed I agree was a bit of a ''Punt'' - Sometimes you get striker like him who are decent players but not prolific goalscorers but they have one maybe two brilliant seasons where they hit a purple patch and score more than they normally do. I think we were sort of hoping that if we set up a good attacking team and we provided him with the ammunition he would exceed expectations. And it could still happen because he keeps fit and works hard, so I would be happy to keep him in and around the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here