Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst TV "comedy" ever?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Don't know if it's been mentioned but the spin-off series to Mike Bassett was very disappointing considering how good the original film was.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Mrs Browns boys is the worst comedy I've ever seen. I thought I must be missing something as it seems to be on all the time and at peak viewing times, so forced myself to watch an entire episode. I just don't get how anyone finds this funny. Everyone I know hates it. Maybe the BBC's viewing stats are wrong or corrupted or something, giving them the impression its popular. I can't think of any other explanation.

Comedy for idiots

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My wife often says to me "how can you watch such crap?". It is usually some sit com or other.

My reply is "It is so awful I just can't stop laughing at it."!! I know others, mostly men, who say the same.

Should i be worried about my sanity?

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
And don't get me started on American humour. I know some people like stuff like Friends and that, but I haven't laughed at a US comedy since WKRP in Cincinatti - now that DID have me rolling about on the floor!

For me Curb your own enthusiasm is just brilliantly clever and funny.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Maybe so but mocking the socially inept isn't to far away from laughing at the disabled. This has been done to good effect from Arkwrights stutter to the childish Joey Deacon stuff of yesteryear. It does not stop judgements being made of those who find it funny though.Personally if its your thing then so be it, i have gone down that path as well but a lot of people have been on the receiving end of Brents and may take dimmer views.

I find it funny and ironic that Gervais was slammed for using the word Mong when he made his name sending up "social mongs".

This reads like you have hardly watched an episode of 'The Office,' but formed your view based upon review soundbites.

Brent is not socially awkward because of any disability or inadequacy, in fact he is acutely aware of what is acceptable in modern work environments. The comedy happens when it becomes clear that he is merely parroting what he knows to be the acceptable and we see that the mask often slips when his greed, ambition or cowardice come into conflict with the expected behaviour. In some ways he is a classic comic villain in the same mould as Uriah Heep; funny because his ulterior motive is visible because he is over-compensating.

The fake documentary style of the series gave the added twist that Brent was desperate to always present himself in his best light to the cameras, giving comment upon the desire for fame regardless of content that shines through so much modern culture, a theme which was followed further in 'Extras.' In the final episodes, Gervais and Merchant humanised Brent in order to show that he could be far more likeable if he dropped the facade and started being himself.

It is true that some of the other characters were more stereotypical, but the likes of Gareth and Big Keith were there for the main characters, Tim, Dawn and Brent to react against. This is a standard trope in comedy. 'The Office' can't really be criticised for doing something that Fawlty Towers, Jane Austen and Shakespeare all did.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Gold started showing 'Nathan Barley' and 'jam' last night. For any who haven't seen it, Chris Morris's 'jam' is like the 'Trout Mask Replica' of sketch shows. Some people think its a work of genius and some think it is disturbing and unwatchable. I've never quite made up my mind, but have series linked it as among the weirdness there are some very funny moments. First episode is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpn7C6r-WEM

I've also series linked Morris and Charlie Brooker's 'Nathan Barley,' but I suspect that 'the rise of the idiots' will now seem less like satire and more like an portentous warning of the horrifying future that we are now living in.

S

smileyweb

I recorded a new show called "Crashing" on Channel 4, this week, which was billed as a comedy.

After 30 seconds of the first scene, my missus and I looked at each other and we both said "Nope."

Stopped it. Deleted it. Saved wasting half an hour of our lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here