Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Linked with Connor Washington?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Peterborough have got the right idea. Sell a player when he is in form. Get more dosh.

Best value is to be had when a previously good (rather than hyped-up over-rated) young player is going through a bad spell (rather than reverting to normal standard after exaggerations about his ability). .

The problem with buying from Peterborough is the fact that they got a lot of their recommendations from the Man Utd scouting system when Ferguson was there. These were players that Man Utd looked at but thought not good enough for premiership but good enough for the lower leagues so Alex ferguson tipped Darren Ferguson off about them and they duly sign a good lower league player.

What then happens is they do very well in League One and everyone ques up to pay Peterborough lots of money for them from the Championship or the Premiership. Then when signed for them they can't really make the step up and that was the reason why Man Utd never signed them in the first place.

So for that reason I hope that he is not interesting Brighton. Let the others throw good money away.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Or to look at it another way:

Reading keep Blackman until the end of the season then he walks away for nothing and they have to spend £3M+ to replace him.

Like us with Barnes, they were between a rock and a hard place.

Didn't realise Blackman's contract was up. Fair enough :lolol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Regardless of if it is us or not, they do seem to have a knack of finding players to sell on.

And we seem to have the knack of then destroying them

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Hope it's not us. We have a pretty crap record of buying lower league strikers who produce the goods, since we've been at the Amex.
I have to confess that I haven't given up on Baldock though, I like him and hope that he comes good.

Wasn't he with Wet Sham previously ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The problem with buying from Peterborough is the fact that they got a lot of their recommendations from the Man Utd scouting system when Ferguson was there. These were players that Man Utd looked at but thought not good enough for premiership but good enough for the lower leagues so Alex ferguson tipped Darren Ferguson off about them and they duly sign a good lower league player.

What then happens is they do very well in League One and everyone ques up to pay Peterborough lots of money for them from the Championship or the Premiership. Then when signed for them they can't really make the step up and that was the reason why Man Utd never signed them in the first place.

So for that reason I hope that he is not interesting Brighton. Let the others throw good money away.

Hmm, I think it's a bit harsh to suggest that all their big sales have been incapable of stepping up.

Britt Assombalonga did well for Forest before suffering a very bad knee injury. George Boyd has done alright for himself, and played in the Premier League for Burnley. Lee Tomlin is at Bournemouth as a result of being influential for Middlesbrough in the Championship. Dwight Gayle would, I think, be a good Championship striker, though not good enough for the Premier League. Aaron McLean made a good career for himself for a time after moving on from Posh. CMS...yeah, ok.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Hmm, I think it's a bit harsh to suggest that all their big sales have been incapable of stepping up.

Britt Assombalonga did well for Forest before suffering a very bad knee injury. George Boyd has done alright for himself, and played in the Premier League for Burnley. Lee Tomlin is at Bournemouth as a result of being influential for Middlesbrough in the Championship. Dwight Gayle would, I think, be a good Championship striker, though not good enough for the Premier League. Aaron McLean made a good career for himself for a time after moving on from Posh. CMS...yeah, ok.

Problem is our track record is very poor with these type of hopeful punt signings striker wise

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Britt Assombalonga did well for Forest before suffering a very bad knee injury. George Boyd has done alright for himself, and played in the Premier League for Burnley. Lee Tomlin is at Bouavernemouth as a result of being influential for Middlesbrough in the Championship. Dwight Gayle would, I think, be a good Championship striker, though not good enough for the Premier League. Aaron McLean made a good career for himself for a time after moving on from Posh. CMS...yeah, ok.

I agree they have all done alright but no one is really raving about them since they stepped up. Actually the best one I think is actually Dwight Gayle. He actually just joined the wrong club because Palace have 2 good wingers they play down the wings so they tend to play only one striker. Also Gayle's attitude leaves a lot to be desired but there have been others like Paul Taylor who have failed to step up. I don't say the others are bad players, I just don't think they are worth what clubs eventually paid for them

Think the step up from League 1 to top 6 Champ is very big - am not convinced he is any better than Baldock (have seen him 2 or 3 times) so don't really see the point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here