Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why an FA Cup run can help Albion - by the man who knows [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Liam Rosenior insists an FA Cup run will be a benefit to Albion, not a distraction from the main aim of promotion to the Premier League.
The Seagulls’ sidelined utility player was part of the Hull squad that reached the final two years ago.
Rosenior started against Arsenal at Wembley for Hull. He would love the current Albion crop to emulate the boys of 1983 by getting to the final as well as they prepare for Saturday’s third round visit to his old club.
Rosenior told The Argus: “It was one of the best occasions of my life, something I’ll never forget. To play in FA Cup finals is every young boy’s dream.
“We played Brighton on the way (fifth round). I actually didn’t play in those games. I was rested, because we had so many games in the Premier League.
“I was injured for the first game and on the bench for the replay.
“I remember we started off playing Southend away in the third round. You never dream that would lead to something so amazing.
“All of a sudden you can win a couple of games and you are in a quarter-final, a game away from Wembley. It just seemed to happen that way for us that season.
“It’s never a distraction. You think back to memories of the FA Cup – Wimbledon beating Liverpool, Ryan Giggs’ goal in the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal.
“When I was a little boy growing up all I wanted to do was play in an FA Cup final. It was part of my motivation to become a footballer and we’ve got to remember as professionals there are young boys out there that want to emulate what we do.
“People pay a lot of money, especially this time of year in January. A lot of money has been spent on Christmas. It’s a difficult time.
“So we’ve got to do our best, like we aim to do every game, regardless of what competition it is.
“The FA Cup will give memories that will last decades. I know this club reached an FA Cup final a few decades ago and it would be nice to repeat that either this year or in the future as well.”
4504530.jpg

Liam Rosenior's season has been interrupted by injury
Boss Chris Hughton will exploit his squad for the trip to the KC Stadium to give key players a breather from the hectic Championship campaign.
That, according to Rosenior, means opportunity knocks for other members of the squad.
“In the last few games we haven’t got the points we expected,” he said. “So it’s a chance for the lads maybe that haven’t started the league games to stake their claim for a place in the team.
“We’ve got a good squad here, a lot of players that are looking to play and push and get into the first team.
“This is a great opportunity for them to show what good players they are.”
Rosenior has been out of action since the end of November, when he ruptured a medial ligament in his right knee in a challenge with Birmingham’s Maikel Kieftenbeld at the Amex.
Watching Albion lose ground in the Championship promotion race over Christmas with one point from nine, including a home defeat at the hands of another of his former clubs Ipswich, was particularly tough to take.

He said: “It’s harder when the team is not winning games. There’s a kind of guilt attached to it that you can’t help out on the pitch and I want to repay that when I get back.“We still have a really good squad and we’re still in a really good position to do something great this year.”
Being injured for the festive fixtures had one consolation for Rosenior, 31.
“It was my first ever Christmas off since I was about 15,” Rosenior said.
“It was really nice to spend time with my wife and kids but at the same time you miss what you are born to do, which is to play on Boxing Day and be part of it.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here