Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Sheep cheese = v good.
10 Green Bottles is a great addition to Brighton's night-life variety.
What will be the result of the referendum?

10 green bottles is pretty good but I always compare it to Vino Veritas which was superb before it closed down.

I went to forth & church 10 days ago which is very similar in concept to ten green bottles but on a slightly smaller scale, well worth a visit.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sheep cheese = v good.
10 Green Bottles is a great addition to Brighton's night-life variety.
What will be the result of the referendum?

With out wishing to divert the thread, I assume you mean the EU referendum ? In which case I predict a 'stay' vote by a couple of percent.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Popped into Shogun Ramen in town after passing it for years and meaning to go in.

Will keep it short but a very tasty pork ramen, probably the best flavoured broth I've had outside of Asian. Lovely BBQ pork meat and soft boiled egg. The gyozas were nice too and spring rolls tasted good with identifiable filling rather than generic you get in most places.

Would go again for a quick lunch.
Large amount of Asian customers must back up my thoughts too !

Is 'in town' Brighton or Worthing ? I ask as I currently have an unhealthy obsession with Wagamamas and it would be nice to try a ramen somewhere that isn't a chain !

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is 'in town' Brighton or Worthing ? I ask as I currently have an unhealthy obsession with Wagamamas and it would be nice to try a ramen somewhere that isn't a chain !

Apologies Brighton !

For ramen then Shogun for sure the difference will be huge.

Pho near the Black Lion is also good for Vietnamese soup based dishes

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
10 green bottles is pretty good but I always compare it to Vino Veritas which was superb before it closed down.

I went to forth & church 10 days ago which is very similar in concept to ten green bottles but on a slightly smaller scale, well worth a visit.

Thanks for the Forth & Church recommendation - looks really good and will become one of my surprise date nights for Mrs W !

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Right then you gastronomic know-alls'.
Please may I have a recommendation for somewhere nice in Brighton area to take wife and 3 young kids for Sunday lunch.
Thanks muchly.

Jul 7, 2003
Visited the Ginger Fox for the first time last night with colleagues. Very good food, we had three courses each and every plate went back empty. Decent value for money and would definitely go back again.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Going to Coq d'Argent in London tonight. First time. Anyone tried?

Will report back.

Blimey is that still going? That was there when I worked in London 15+ years ago.

It's got a beautiful roof terrace and did amazing food back then.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Booked in for the tasting menu at The Sportsman for my birthday. Larvely.

Be interested in what you think. What I liked about it most, was that it's not trying to impress, and isn't over-reliant on new scientific techniques. This might be another way of saying is that there weren't any dishes that made you go wow, but it's just the steady accumulation of understated yet brilliantly conceived and well executed dishes that stands out. The whole tasting menu works well too, because it's quite light, low on carbs, apart from the bread that comes out, which is the closest thing that makes you go wow.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Be interested in what you think. What I liked about it most, was that it's not trying to impress, and isn't over-reliant on new scientific techniques. This might be another way of saying is that there weren't any dishes that made you go wow, but it's just the steady accumulation of understated yet brilliantly conceived and well executed dishes that stands out. The whole tasting menu works well too, because it's quite light, low on carbs, apart from the bread that comes out, which is the closest thing that makes you go wow.

Oooh I like a good bread. Often the thing I judge a good restaurant on most harshly.

Best bread in Brighton was at the Medicine Chest RIP), now Coal Shed.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Blimey is that still going? That was there when I worked in London 15+ years ago.

It's got a beautiful roof terrace and did amazing food back then.
Yes and very good it was too.

Amazing value with a set menu for £32 for three courses including an excellent lamb shank main course.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
A quick drink with Mrs W in town last night ended as dinner. Went to Polpo in New Road - Italian Tapas. Nice enough - decent dishes but more expensive than Spanish tapas.Some people rave about it but personally I'd say it's 'OK' nothing particularly wrong with it but nothing particularly outstanding. Service was very good - 7/10 ( plenty of better places in the city ).

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I don't know Eastern Eye. Where is it and what niche does it occupy?

I know a few people rave about the Eastern eye, including my mrs, but I had one of the worst curries I've ever had in there. The service was slow and rubbish, despite us being the only people in there. My mate asked for chicken madras with spinach in it, and asked clearly to avoid confusion, “I don’t want a hot saag, can you just put some extra spinach in the madras.” He got a hot saag. That’s basic and rubbish in my opinion, simple order gone wrong. There’s plenty of better curry houses around. If you’re in that neck of the woods I think the Raj is far better.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I know a few people rave about the Eastern eye, including my mrs, but I had one of the worst curries I've ever had in there. The service was slow and rubbish, despite us being the only people in there. My mate asked for chicken madras with spinach in it, and asked clearly to avoid confusion, “I don’t want a hot saag, can you just put some extra spinach in the madras.” He got a hot saag. That’s basic and rubbish in my opinion, simple order gone wrong. There’s plenty of better curry houses around. If you’re in that neck of the woods I think the Raj is far better.

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en-GB/207738/Raj-Pavilion-Brighton-and-Hove

As much as I love the Raj I'm not having that. Their toilets are a state.

Jul 7, 2003
Booked in for the tasting menu at The Sportsman for my birthday. Larvely.

Wasn't really paying attention when I first read this so my immediate thought was "he's taking the mickey - why would anyone think that the Withdean carvery have a tasting menu?".

Took a few seconds to realise it was the place in Whitstable.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I was going by the number of times we were going to be placed in this or that guide oh by the way would you like to take out an advert in our guide only £1200 or whatever for half a page. Cynical about guides, yes I am somewhat.

But not about the Michelin surely ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here