Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone (LEAVES BY MUTUAL CONSENT)

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'm glad you're not negotiating for the club, there's no immediate rush and by haggling we might save ourselves several million pounds. In the real world that's quite a lot of money.

Hypothetically, would you rather sign a striker today for £18m or the same player on the last day of the window for say, £15m?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm glad you're not negotiating for the club, there's no immediate rush and by haggling we might save ourselves several million pounds. In the real world that's quite a lot of money.

Interesting though isn’t it?

Do we haggle as you suggest, and go with what we’ve got into two winnable games?

we’ve done okay, but there is a large part of me that wonders where we’d be with a younger, pacier forward who is more lethal in front of goal.

We may regret not getting someone in early and biting the bullet on the potential saving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Yes, a completely hypothetical situation. But there is obviously much to be said for getting a player in now rather than in 3 weeks from now. How much of a premium is it worth? That's the question.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, a completely hypothetical situation. But there is obviously much to be said for getting a player in now rather than in 3 weeks from now. How much of a premium is it worth? That's the question.

We have 2 winnable league games before the window shuts, and then 2 games immediately after. I'd say there is a massive benefit of paying a bit more to get someone in early, especially if they don't currently live in this country.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Sorry fareham, I see what you are saying. I think in some cases it might work the other way round. (I suspect Andone would be such a case but maybe I am wrong.)

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Hypothetically, would you rather sign a striker today for £18m or the same player on the last day of the window for say, £15m?

As a fan I'd rather we blew the budget today, but my rational side wants the club to be cautious. There is no guarantee that any new signing will be a success, therefore it is wise to spend as little as possible whilst still landing the target, even if it means we wait a little longer.

That said, if we fail to buy any new striker I'd be gutted, and wish we hadn't waited.

I think, Tony the poker player will want to hold out and wait for the best deal possible, But Tony the fan might crack sooner and spend a little more than he would if it were purely business.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is he any good?

Hard to say, the way he's been used so far this season he's going to need a preseason to get up to speed. :lol:

My Romanian colleague really likes him and was very excited about our interest, but then got very defensive about Andone 'making it' in the Premier League.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Is he any good?

Yeah, he's good. Works hard, aggressive and fine up top on his own. His goalscoring record is not the 1 in 5 some have suggested either albeit he hasn't been prolific this season in a struggling Depor side. He is only 24 too so has plenty of scope for improvement. We won't do much better for the type of fee he would likely go for and I mean around £15-18m rather than his release clause.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=79312

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
As a fan I'd rather we blew the budget today, but my rational side wants the club to be cautious. There is no guarantee that any new signing will be a success, therefore it is wise to spend as little as possible whilst still landing the target, even if it means we wait a little longer.

That said, if we fail to buy any new striker I'd be gutted, and wish we hadn't waited.

I think, Tony the poker player will want to hold out and wait for the best deal possible, But Tony the fan might crack sooner and spend a little more than he would if it were purely business.

we will hold out of course but after being burned badly in the summer and the fact we have crucial games coming up. Would be poor judgement if we are holding out to save a million or so.

Get 1 now and then haggle more with the 2nd

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bought him in the first Jan window on the game, cost me £23 million mind!

That's the kind of, go getting, can do, attitude the club needs.

You should apply, are you ok taking your holiday entitlement in August & January?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
The core of the side that played at Newcastle and against Bournemouth, were always likely to get 2 weeks off if rested on Monday night for the cup. We made 3 subs at Chelsea.

Izquierdo and Knockeart looked absolutely fine to me against Bournemouth. Gross didn't start against Chelsea and only played 15mins, so CH obviously thought he would be fine for the 2 games in a row, then a rest for the cup most likely. Substituting either Stephens or Propper when the game was so fast and they were used to what Bournemouth were doing would have been a mistake as well imho.

Makes a lot of sense to me to keep your best and most effective side on the pitch for as long as you can.

Sat in the ESU, when Bruno come on, a few occasions AK refused to go on the overlap and attack, he looked either shattered or fed up. He passed the ball to Bruno, then sat back where he would normally run into the corner and cross.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Is he any good?

Yes, and suits the work ethic of the squad we have and what will be required in his position playing alone. He will also threaten significantly more than what we have already and has the legs to chase all game.

The problem is whatever saga is going on at Deportivo, he obviously wanted to leave and they're not happy about the way he went about it. This has resulted in being left out and will have nowhere near the match fitness required to hit the ground running, which is arguably what we need with some important games coming up.

If we were/are going to sign him, it should have been done the moment the window opened even if slightly above value, so we could get him up to speed.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Sat in the ESU, when Bruno come on, a few occasions AK refused to go on the overlap and attack, he looked either shattered or fed up. He passed the ball to Bruno, then sat back where he would normally run into the corner and cross.
AK was injured in the warm up and a doubt to start the match. May have been fading late in the game.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here