Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm getting on with this MONEY - 'Suicide Songs' record. Surprisingly passionate, interesting, indie rock. More than a bit of later day Spiritualized about it. Favourite track is 'Night Came,'

Which is a surprise because I'm pretty jaded with indie rock as a genre.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've managed to get back in touch with a mate who gave me all the advances and freebies last year and I've got a whole load of new music to listen to and enjoy so hopefully I'll have a bit of input on this thread. I was listening this morning and last night to a few new albums namely: MONEY, Old Man Canyon and Benji Hughes and all have impressed me. Proper reviews to follow.

Am really looking forward to Suuns, Field Music and getting my ears around the Tindersticks albuums.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I've managed to get back in touch with a mate who gave me all the advances and freebies last year and I've got a whole load of new music to listen to and enjoy so hopefully I'll have a bit of input on this thread. I was listening this morning and last night to a few new albums namely: MONEY, Old Man Canyon and Benji Hughes and all have impressed me. Proper reviews to follow.

Am really looking forward to Suuns, Field Music and getting my ears around the Tindersticks albuums.

I wondered what had happened to your excellent reviews, being of slightly older age I've found some great albums which would have normally past me bye. Keep up the good work mate.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Thanks for the kind words!

Add Petal 'Shame' to your list - I found it on the dull side until I'd played it three or four times. Crunchy open-string American guitar chords (similar to Japandroids or Beach Slang), but with dreamy female vocals instead of bratty shouting. Broken up by some acoustic slower tracks. Some very nice moments.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Fair play, not mine either normally.

Ha! It's all about opinions. I was a big fan of their first album and I think this 2nd is even better. I love it.

I'll put together my review over the weekend and also for Cian Nugent, Sonya Kitchell, Sia, Massive Attack, Lion Babe, Fat White Family and Benji Hughes. Hopefully have them up here by Monday. I've been overdosing on new music and apart from that appalling Sia album, it's been a non-stop pleasure.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Am listening to the Sunflower Bean album right now on the train to the match. I can see why it's Rough Trade album of the week/month. Proper jangly guitar indie and shared male/female vocals. This year's Alvvays?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
A few bits and bobs

Amanda Palmer & Jherek Bischoff release an EP of Bowie covers using just a string quartet. Not a lover of Palmer's work but the version of Blackstar works really well.

Can be found here; Bandcamp

Charlie Hilton - Palana
Lead singer of Blouse released a solo LP before Christmas which is better than I thought it would be. In places it reminds me of El Perro del Mar and has a French feel to it. Includes a collaboration with Mac DeMarco

Can be found on Spotify.

De Montevert - s/t
Album released online before Christmas with a physical release soon. Swedish introverted singer songwriter of gloomy lyrics which is patchy in places but includes this corker:

Can also be found on Spotify

Prince Rama - Xtreme Now
Bonkers American sisters are back in March with another concept album, this one mixes extreme sports, energy drinks and time travel to the year 2067, and follows up their previous 2012 release which focused on the last ever music top 10 before the apocalypse as channelled through a spirit medium. Always worth a listen even if they have the capacity to go from the sublime to the utterly terrible in one track.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Those who like soundtracks might like to check out the one for Humans by Cristobal Tapia de Veer

My only criticism is that at 90 minutes it is a bit too long for one sitting.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm playing Nevermen the self titled collaborative album by Mike Patton, Tunde Adebimpe & Doseone. Very interesting so far.

HermTalks

Jul 6, 2015
Highly recommend checking out GoGo Penguin album came out last week if you're in to Bonobo sort of vibes. Jazz with some decent breakbeats in there - they've signed a three album deal with Blue Note.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Nice album this. Liked his last effort too. A touch moody, a tad quirky. Good fun.

Front.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here