Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Overcharged for Pie (A Hot Dog is involved in this story) & Pint AGAIN

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Being superstitious I always use the same till in the Upper East to get my fix of burger and pint. I've complained on here before about being overcharged and for the Boro game it happened again. Pint, Burger & Crisps clearly marked as £9 but charged £9.30. I didn't say anything as I got hounded last time. But last night AGAIN. Hot Dog (all other food gone by 7:15) and Pint clearly marked above my head as £8 but charged £8.20 This time I questioned it and the reply was 'the till says £8.20 and that is what I have to charge'. Overcharging is illegal, especially when they have been informed about it on numerous occasions. Yes it is only 20p and I can survive without it, but principles!
Cant be bothered to talk football today, but still confident of a winning season.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Being superstitious I always use the same till in the Upper East to get my fix of burger and pint. I've complained on here before about being overcharged and for the Boro game it happened again. Pint, Burger & Crisps clearly marked as £9 but charged £9.30. I didn't say anything as I got hounded last time. But last night AGAIN. Hot Dog (all other food gone by 7:15) and Pint clearly marked above my head as £8 but charged £8.20 This time I questioned it and the reply was 'the till says £8.20 and that is what I have to charge'. Overcharging is illegal, especially when they have been informed about it on numerous occasions. Yes it is only 20p and I can survive without it, but principles!
Cant be bothered to talk football today, but still confident of a winning season.

Next time have right money... give it to them and walk away.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You seem confused - you've started a thread about a pie and a pint yet go on to talk about a hot dog.

No cheese and onion pasties last night incidentally, replaced by the far better spinach, ricotta and mushroom pie.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Why is it illegal?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I asked for a cheeseburger and a pint of kronenburg, cost £8. Went away had sip of drink only to find it was strong bow, went back to til and supervisor said was out of kronenburg and gave me 2 pints of fosters instead !

Great service!!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You seem confused - you've started a thread about a pie and a pint yet go on to talk about a hot dog.

No cheese and onion pasties last night incidentally, replaced by the far better spinach, ricotta and mushroom pie.

Is this permanent ? If so, I might go with an empty tum on Friday ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Pretty rubbish superstition to be honest, if you end up getting overcharged every time. Ever thought about trying another till? :moo:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Plain hot dog or burger, as per the price shown....maybe you had onions so your not asking for the advertised product, or maybe you asked for Kronenburg instead of Fosters.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Why is it illegal?

Because the law says so. If you see something advertised at a specific price, the seller has to respect that price. The Trade Descriptions Act 1968 and the precedent set down by a case involving Tesco (I think) are where it comes from. Admittedly the law may have changed since I last looked at it 2-3 years back, but I'd be surprised.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why is it illegal?
If goods are offered for sale at a certain price, then the buyer has a right to buy them at that price.

I found something in a local shop the other day incorrectly priced at £4.95 (it should have been £11.95). At the till it came up as £11.95 - but I pointed out that as they'd offered it for sale at £4.95 and I was accepting that offer, legally the transaction stood. I got it for £4.95.

But agree with the earlier poster - in circumstances such as the pie-and-a-pint queue, just have the right money, pay it and leave.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
I say which deal I want (and how much it will cost me) before I order. I then order and pay exactly what I said it would cost at the start.

Last night for example, I said can I get the 3 for £9 deal. I then ordered my Burger, Crisps and Kroenenburg and was only charged the agreed £9 which I said at the start. Never seem to have an issue this way.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I had this argument with Tesco once and they said something like it is an offer to contract or something similar and therefore not illegal. I'm not a lawyer so wouldn't know..just curious

It was a few years ago, but Tesco had priced up something wrongly on the shelf, so when I got to the till, I questioned the total. The supervisor came over, checked the shelf price, and let me have the item as advertised. She also instructed someone to go and change the shelf price.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Being superstitious I always use the same till in the Upper East to get my fix of burger and pint. I've complained on here before about being overcharged and for the Boro game it happened again. Pint, Burger & Crisps clearly marked as £9 but charged £9.30. I didn't say anything as I got hounded last time. But last night AGAIN. Hot Dog (all other food gone by 7:15) and Pint clearly marked above my head as £8 but charged £8.20 This time I questioned it and the reply was 'the till says £8.20 and that is what I have to charge'.

I used to always get that overpricing when I asked for 'a pint of Krony and a pie as a Pie&Pint deal'. But it's never happened since I started asking for a Pie & Pint deal and then gone on to say what pie and pint I want within the deal. Trick seems to be to specify the deal you want so they ring it up first, then go on to say what options you want within that deal. Reckon the staff are trained (same as in, say McDonalds) to ring stuff up in the order you ask for it. So if you ask for the pie/hot dog and the pint before asking for the deal then it appears you get charged for the individual items, not the deal. Can make a biggish chunk of difference in the price you get charged.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Because the law says so. If you see something advertised at a specific price, the seller has to respect that price. The Trade Descriptions Act 1968 and the precedent set down by a case involving Tesco (I think) are where it comes from. Admittedly the law may have changed since I last looked at it 2-3 years back, but I'd be surprised.

I don't think that's correct. An advertised price is an "invitation to treat", meaning they are inviting you to offer to buy it. When you make the offer, they tell you the price they want (which can differ from the advertised price) and, if you accept then, and only then, is a legally binding contract formed. The retailer is not under any obligation to sell at the price on the advert. However, and it's a big however, if the advertisement is displaying a price that is considered to be a misleading attempt to entice people it may be in breach of the law. If such an advert is pointed out to the retailer then he should make all reasonable attempts to remove/correct it as soon as possible.
That's my understanding of it.
H

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't think that's correct. An advertised price is an "invitation to treat", meaning they are inviting you to offer to buy it. When you make the offer, they tell you the price they want (which can differ from the advertised price) and, if you accept then, and only then, is a legally binding contract formed. The retailer is not under any obligation to sell at the price on the advert. However, and it's a big however, if the advertisement is displaying a price that is considered to be a misleading attempt to entice people it may be in breach of the law. If such an advert is pointed out to the retailer then he should make all reasonable attempts to remove/correct it as soon as possible.
That's my understanding of it.
H

You've solidified my point with your comment "if the advertisement is displaying a price that is considered to be a misleading attempt to entice people"... If you stand in a queue for however long on the pretence that you're buying a product for the price that is displayed, then they turn around and tell you the price is higher at the till, they are misleading you. What the Tesco case shows is that one individual's error is not enough to constitute false advertising in a one-off instance (so it was a bad example, I admit that - it's been a while since I looked at this element of the law).

However the OP speaks about consistent false advertising of food on BHA's part, which is illegal. Although it is the Fair Trade Act that he'd have to claim under. Basically, if it happens on a one-off, the seller can get away with it if, as you stated, they are shown to have taken reasonable steps to rectify the situation (which BHA aren't doing from the sounds of it). When it happens regularly, as the OP states, it becomes illegal.

So I guess it's somewhere between both of our initial points.

Basically, let the club know that they're advertising at the wrong prices and see if they take steps to rectify this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here