Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Overcharged for Pie (A Hot Dog is involved in this story) & Pint AGAIN

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
If an item is advertised at a particular price the retailer is not allowed to charge any more than the price listed. They are allowed to refuse to sell to you i.e. in the case of a mistake - but they are not allowed to charge more.

For this reason shops will usually sell at the price listed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest, do you know how, when this was changed in favour of business, to the detriment of the customer?

When the Tories took over?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, that thought did occur to me - but not so apparently. See Da Man Clay's very helpful and definitive post #55. Mind you, that ruling was given while the tories were in power.................

Told you! :smile:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I say which deal I want (and how much it will cost me) before I order. I then order and pay exactly what I said it would cost at the start.

Last night for example, I said "Can I get the 3 for £9 deal?" ...
I hope the kiosk assistant replied by saying something along the lines of "Of course you may have the 3 for £9 deal but I'm afraid you need to stay on that side of the counter while I fetch the items for you".

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
If an item is advertised at a particular price the retailer is not allowed to charge any more than the price listed. They are allowed to refuse to sell to you i.e. in the case of a mistake - but they are not allowed to charge more.

For this reason shops will usually sell at the price listed.

I own three shops and that's news to me! If a customer turns up at the tills and the price tag is wrong, they will be told the correct price, at which point they will be asked if they still want the item. It is completely legal to do this even if the correct price is higher than stated on the item.

Contrary to your opinion, we'd never sell at an incorrect price. Ever.

I own three shops and that's news to me! If a customer turns up at the tills and the price tag is wrong, they will be told the correct price, at which point they will be asked if they still want the item. It is completely legal to do this even if the correct price is higher than stated on the item.

Contrary to your opinion, we'd never sell at an incorrect price. Ever.

So if I walked into one of your shops and offered you, maybe 2p for something worth £1 hypothetically, you'd actually want the WHOLE £1?

Scandalous.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The thing is for most shops with the values talked about it isn't worth the bad press for the sake of a few quid here and there. It's only where online retailers sell things like X-box's for £2.99 instead of £299 and it goes viral that the law is enforced.

No trouble - Sadly one of the things I can quote pretty much verbatim from my law background!

That would be for trading standards and alike to determine if the ad was a deliberate act to mislead customers (ie done deliberately to get customers to go to their shop but never actually going to sell at that price, or whether it's just a typo) if the decide it's the former, they will likely take the company to court, not make them sell to the customer at the lower price.

The precise legal ins and outs of all this are irrelevant. What seems clear to me is that there is something desperately wrong with how food and drink are sold at the Amex.

Having myself experienced enough let downs over the years, all of them different, it's getting to the point where the homemade corned beef roll will win out over most of the alternatives. And I fear I'm not the only one.

The Club really ought to sort this out, and deliver a reliable service that will result in customer satisfaction levels way better than what we see here.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I had the delightful experience of my son being given a hot dog that already had a bite out of it last night...!

Incredibly, this is the second time we've had the "pre-owned" food experience at The Amex - last year with a pie that had been part eaten, returned, and somehow ended up back in the chute...

I give them as little of my hard earned as possible now - only succumbing occasionally to pester power and booze munchies. My rucksack with a few beers and some snacks saves me about £20 a game = £500 a year. (I know there is the zero option but I like a few beers and a nosebag as part of the day out...).

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Interesting. First year Law in the very early 1970s the teaching was very clear:
OFFER + ACCEPTANCE = CONTRACT
In other words, for example, if a shirt was priced at £7.99, that was the offer made by the shopkeeper;
If the customer then went to the till and said, 'OK, I wish to purchase this £7.95 shirt', that constituted and acceptance of that offer - and the contract was made.

Obviously, my first reaction to your post was to reply, 'b0110cks!' - but fortunately caution prevailed and I took to Google to find evidence to back up my argument. Much to my surprise, however, all of the sources I could find supported what you had stated.

Out of interest, do you know how, when, where and why this was changed in favour of business, to the detriment of the customer? I'd be interested to know. Incidentally, for all the forty odd years since my student days, whenever something has registered a higher price at the till than was advertised on the shelf (or in the window) I have always successfully insisted on my right to buy at the price shown - without fail! Success every time!

It's not really to the detriment of the customer though.

If the shop keeper has 2 shirts left and decides to charge a pound. If the Offer was made by the shopkeeper and the Acceptance by the customer, then the shopkeeper cannot decline the contract once the customers says, "I would like that shirt". If 3 customers all say I want a shirt before the shopkeeper can remove the "Offer" from his window (or one customer says "I'll have 3 shirts at a pound each") then he has formed 3 contracts to deliver shirts, but he only has 2 shirts and so must breach at least one contract.

The final stage of completing the contract must lay with the shopkeeper because he is the only one with the knowledge of stock availability and must be able to decline once stock is gone otherwise there will be customers which can never be satisfied.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I had the delightful experience of my son being given a hot dog that already had a bite out of it last night...!

Incredibly, this is the second time we've had the "pre-owned" food experience at The Amex - last year with a pie that had been part eaten, returned, and somehow ended up back in the chute...

I give them as little of my hard earned as possible now - only succumbing occasionally to pester power and booze munchies. My rucksack with a few beers and some snacks saves me about £20 a game = £500 a year. (I know there is the zero option but I like a few beers and a nosebag as part of the day out...).

Yuk! That really is a new low for Sodexo. The Head Office would be appalled to hear such a story, you should let them know. Christ, that's bad by anyone's standard. And there's some bad standards in football grounds!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

You're allowed to take your own beers into the Amex? Blimey, learn something new every day on here!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I qued at an East Upper Till at the Boro game. I wanted to use card so I qued in the card line. It was just before HT and only 1 guy in front of me. I didn't really pay attention to what was going on with him as I was talking to my mate. The guy had some sort of issue but after a while, he went and I was up. I asked for a burger and pint and a pie and pint. The girl gets the pie and burger and asks what beer. I said 2 Harveys, that clearly stumped her and she was frantically looking for labels of beers and then came back and said sorry no 'Halfies'. I said its Harveys and there's loads of them poured over there. So off she goes to get the Harveys. Then came to paying, I presented my card and she said 'sorry cash only'. I told her she was at a til with a card reader, an Apple Pay Amex logo and a sign above it that said cards. This ment nothing as she said cash only, she didn't know how to turn the card machine on and the manager is not here. By this time the ques were massive and going to another line was not an option. So between me and my mate we had to forget the food and just have 2 pints as I didn't have enough cash!
It's a joke. Time and time again screw up after screw up from Soddingexo! I now find myself with having to take more and more Cash to the Amex as most tils don't do cards or Apple Pay and the ones that do are often out of order, or at least the staff are! It was better before with Ecash and it seems we've gone backwards to a cash only era at the Amex.

Btw the overcharging is nothing new.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
On the reverse, back in the good old days when the Hat Trick scratch cards gave you a free pie/burger....the fun (and satisfying small profit) at the counter when negotiating the price of a meal deal using said voucher was rather pleasing.

The smallest things.......

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here