Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed- Nowhere near Championship standard

He is much better than his current form suggests, looked very good the first couple of months. Down to the manager now, Hughton needs to give him a rest I think. Came on really fired up against Charlton, seems the obvious move for the time being

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
His performance tonight was a genuine 1 out of 10 and I'm not quite sure how much worse it has to get for him to be dropped.

While we're still in panto season, oh no it wasn't. While obviously not a 10, suggesting a 1 out of 10 just displays an unwarranted negativity towards the player, and probably means that I have in the past witnessed quite a few negative ratings

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Not a kneejerk thread, this is based on the entire season so far.

-He doesn't get himself into good attacking positions often enough
-He isn't quick
-He isn't clinical whatsoever
-He is OK at holding the ball up and bring others into play, that's about it.

Was hoping we had signed another Ulloa but quite frankly he isn't up to it if we want to be top 6. With Wilson potentially being recalled and Zamora quite clearly not able to play 90 mins we need a first choice striker desperately.

Hemed pretty much has been tits up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We could play the best forward on the planet if the wide men can't get a ball past the first man what is the point?
I'm surprised this hasn't been pointed out more, esp as it was also Warren A's take on last night.
When I heard the team my first thought was Tomer, and how it could lead to him being exposed.

I'd love to know how many crosses got past the first man?
In the first half I'm pretty sure there was only 1 (one), and unsurprisingly that was from ...

...Tomer, in from the south west corner.

Had it not been for Bruno's one peach of a cross, that would have been the only decent bit of play all game.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He's a career club 1 in 4 striker, and he's bagged 6 in 24 for the Albion. Did anyone expect anything more and, if so, why?

Ah yes....the now familiar 1 in 4 striker that adorns our game. They play plenty of games for all manner of teams and hover around the 8-10 goal mark every season. They are accompanied everywhere by the usual platitudes.....
1) X works so hard.
2) X only needs one to go in off his backside and he'll go on a run.
3) X brings other players into play
4) X would score more goals if the service was better
5) X has been so unlucky this season
etc etc etc
Lets face it folks, in this era of diminishing quality ( generally ) in football (and believe me if you don't think the quality is dropping, you ain't watched much football ) we seem to have a plethora of bang average footballers plying their trade as strikers. Most are pretty hopeless at heading the ball. Most can't use their chest properly. Most can't play on the half turn. Most fail to hold onto the ball with their back to goal and most have no idea how to beat the keeper in a one on one, so take the easy option of going down at the slightest touch.
Asked to name how many top strikers there are in the PL, you would struggle to get past the fingers of one hand. As for the Championship, the same applies. Austen is a poacher and good at it. Rhodes is slow but has very good positional sense. Martin is ok but would struggle at the higher level. McCormack is a decent all round player with an eye for goal. Gray is still raw but has potential. Nugent, tried and trusted but past it and Afobe needs a strong man alongside him. Murphy doesn't do a lot for me.
There you are, a handful of names and no one else worth talking about. Austen the stand out striker. A pathetic indictment of current football.
One in four....my goodness....how times have changed....when one in two was the benchmark....oh, hang on...that was in prehistoric times before football was invented by the PL and has developed into this glorious, high quality, value for money spectacle, that it is today.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I like him.

he's clearly a confidence player, which is why CH is showing faith in him.
He had a genuine swagger about himself during the first half a dozen games or so. Unfortunately that swagger has gone... if only he'd put his laces through that pen at wolves, things might be different now.

Despite my liking of the fellow, it is now time to give him a rest. Bobby showed last night that he is the more likely striker to score at present.
CH needs to put an arm around Tomer's shoulder and let him down gently and hope he can dust himself down and come back with that swagger when Baldock and Kaz are fit again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm surprised this hasn't been pointed out more, esp as it was also Warren A's take on last night.
When I heard the team my first thought was Tomer, and how it could lead to him being exposed.

I'd love to know how many crosses got past the first man?
In the first half I'm pretty sure there was only 1 (one), and unsurprisingly that was from ...

...Tomer, in from the south west corner.

Had it not been for Bruno's one peach of a cross, that would have been the only decent bit of play all game.

Perfectly explained. It also shows why Hemed scored 6 goals when LuaLua & Baldock were playing with him. He needs to get service & needs a strike partner.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
While we're still in panto season, oh no it wasn't. While obviously not a 10, suggesting a 1 out of 10 just displays an unwarranted negativity towards the player, and probably means that I have in the past witnessed quite a few negative ratings

Unfortunately I don't give ratings for "effort" as I see that from all of our players this season.

I give my ratings for impact on the game and, you know, footballing ability. Hemed had no impact on the game and showed no footballing ability.

He didn't hold the ball up, he didn't win the ball in the air, his movement was abysmal, he looked slow and leggy and was beaten by defenders in foot races time and time again (even when he had a head start), he was incapable of running with the ball at his feet... The list goes on.

With him up front we are effectively playing with 10 men at the moment.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Unfortunately I don't give ratings for "effort" as I see that from all of our players this season.

I give my ratings for impact on the game and, you know, footballing ability. Hemed had no impact on the game and showed no footballing ability.

He didn't hold the ball up, he didn't win the ball in the air, his movement was abysmal, he looked slow and leggy and was beaten by defenders in foot races time and time again (even when he had a head start), he was incapable of running with the ball at his feet... The list goes on.

With him up front we are effectively playing with 10 men at the moment.
I had a taste of the 1901 club for the first time, and thus a good look at formations and players movements. Hemed worked his socks off, created what should have been a legit goal, and had no support. Whack a decent cross in to the lad now and again, ay.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I had a taste of the 1901 club for the first time, and thus a good look at formations and players movements. Hemed worked his socks off, created what should have been a legit goal, and had no support. Whack a decent cross in to the lad now and again, ay.

You're right, I apologise. He did create the goal that should've stood, albeit his cross was miles behind Stephens who actually made it look like a good cross. Maybe a 2 out of 10 for that alone.

On the debate about crosses, do you know what often makes a bad cross look like a good one? A striker's movement and instinctive finishing, like in the example above. Hemed's problem in the box is that he currently looks like he has no desire to get on the end of crosses, like he's scared. It's no surprise that as soon as Bobby came on we were holding the ball up top and winning the ball in the air against their CBs.

I totally agree that the formation didn't help Hemed. Hughton got it wrong by playing such a defensive 451. I also totally agree that he worked hard (as did all of our players last night and every game I've seen this season). But what a striker needs to be able to do, particularly if they're up front alone, is hold the ball up and bring others into play. He simply didn't do that and he spent the majority of the time just chasing after balls because he reads the game so so badly. I can cope with his 1 in 4 strike rate if he brings more to the team and makes players around him perform better, but he doesn't and he certainly didn't last night.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Perhaps he is not a target man.......also, most crosses were not getting past the first man.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
People saying we need a goal scorer ....surely its not just that easy to go out and get one?

Our success rate in finding them since we reached the Amex is way below the average of a team that has managed to stay around the top for 4 of the last 5 seasons. If we had managed to get more than one of a decent quality over that period we may well be playing a division higher by now. Another failure to find one in January and the wait to get promoted will almost certainly continue beyond the end of this season imo. Not the end of the world as I like this division but a failure by our player recruitment team,

Pretty damning of our recruitment team that our 3rd best striker in the Amex era is an old man at the end of his career and unable to play full games very often :shrug:

Hemed is at best a squad player imo.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Whack a decent cross in to the lad now and again, ay.

The problem is he's never in the right position to get on the end of it. Watch how Zamora peels off defenders, goes where they don't want him to go. Hemed never does this - defenders can easily predict what he's going to do.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Perhaps not. But here is my main problem - what is he? What does he actually do as a footballer aside from work hard?
well up until a couple of games ago he was generally getting in the right position and making chances. I'd say that he was desperately unlucky for a large part of the season - hitting the woodwork or drawing the keeper into a good save most games..

I'd agree it's dried up for the lad right now, but I'd also say that the whole team look a bit unsure of where to pass to. Contrast that with most of the games up to the charlton game - every time we went forward the ball was being passed quickly, and the opposition was caught on the back foot.

We've 7 key players out, and the main attacking threat - the wingers and full backs doubling up - has gone - especially on the left hand side.

Last night is a bit unfair to judge him on as generally he was a fair few metres away from the nearest midfielder.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not a kneejerk thread, this is based on the entire season so far.

-He doesn't get himself into good attacking positions often enough
-He isn't quick
-He isn't clinical whatsoever
-He is OK at holding the ball up and bring others into play, that's about it.

Was hoping we had signed another Ulloa but quite frankly he isn't up to it if we want to be top 6. With Wilson potentially being recalled and Zamora quite clearly not able to play 90 mins we need a first choice striker desperately.

Not a kneejerk thread but you wait until we lose a couple of games to post it. Looking at this thread and others on here, I think a lot of our so called fans don't deserve promotion. When we have a couple of poor results, after a fantastic season, they turn on the players and the manager. It is a sad reflection on our supporters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here