Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit of advice which you probably know anyway

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hail Britons

Went to renew the chariot and had the renewal come through from direct line which was £120 more expensive than last year.

Spoke to a very nice young wench and after surfing the net, I came up with a figure that was actually around £100 cheaper than this and it was with a main stream insurer.

She came back with a reduction of the quoted price of £120 so ending up paying actually £5 cheaper than last year for a new chariot!

We did this with the AA last year and reduced that by a sizeable amount.

We now never accept the renewal figure without calling the company direct and seeing what they could do. It almost seems that they pluck a figure out of thin air to see if they can get away with it.

It's worth ringing everyone these days.

Tempus salutationibus.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I tried this with Aviva. They upped my renewal by 50 sestertii so I got a few quotes and found one 100 sestertii cheaper elsewhere. Aviva flatly refused to budge, even with my above average chariot handling skills as measured by their app. I told them where they could go.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Used Swiftcover last year as they were cheapest. This year renewal quote slightly higher, so searched around, the cheapest quote was from Swiftcover, and a decent chunk off my renewal quote !!! Never ever accept your renewal quote

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Same applies to home insurance. Had blindly renewed for a few years through not being arsed to look around and it was on a direct debit, got a new policy for less than half the previous amount. Cover identical.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Used Swiftcover last year as they were cheapest. This year renewal quote slightly higher, so searched around, the cheapest quote was from Swiftcover, and a decent chunk off my renewal quote !!! Never ever accept your renewal quote

We've done the same. Never accept your renewal quote and never let them keep your card details on file (or tell them to remove them) so they can't automatically renew you if you forget to get in touch.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
We've done the same. Never accept your renewal quote and never let them keep your card details on file (or tell them to remove them) so they can't automatically renew you if you forget to get in touch.

Yeah forgot to do this, they automatically took the renewal, had to ring up asking for a refund, she said who was I insured with now, I said "You !!"

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We got car insurance reduced by £100 and home insurance down by £120, all by taking time going on the comparison sites.
It is time consuming but worth it.

Simples

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Same applies to home insurance. Had blindly renewed for a few years through not being arsed to look around and it was on a direct debit, got a new policy for less than half the previous amount. Cover identical.

Much worse for me. 25 years with same insurer, blindly reinsuring. Realised something was up when I mentioned to a mate my quote had gone up from £1100 to 1350 a few years ago. He nearly choked. I phoned them and they offered to lower it to 600. I went elsewhere, paying about 300. MUG or what??? But I just didn't expect Stardnard Life to be such cheating evil *******s. I pity the poor grannies, etc, being fleeced still.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Much worse for me. 25 years with same insurer, blindly reinsuring. Realised something was up when I mentioned to a mate my quote had gone up from £1100 to 1350 a few years ago. He nearly choked. I phoned them and they offered to lower it to 600. I went elsewhere, paying about 300. MUG or what??? But I just didn't expect Stardnard Life to be such cheating evil *******s. I pity the poor grannies, etc, being fleeced still.

It was Prudential for me. Must be so many people getting shafted.

Pistol Pete

Aug 15, 2015
I had my renewal for my home insurance this morning, it had gone up by 25% so I went on a comparison site and got a great deal. I then phoned my current insurer to inform them i would not be renewing, they checked all my payments were up to date, which they were and no further payments were needed, but they then said don't cancel the direct debit? This seemed an odd request, should I be concerned?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I think you might find some of the grannies are a bit more savvy than that. :smile:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Every time my insurance comes up for renewal on our cars I search the go compares of this world, there is no loyalty any more, and when they send me the renewal which has always gone up by a chunk (even though there have been no claims) I ring them up to cancel, they then start the barter scenario to which I always say...........if you can now offer me it at that price now, why didnt you send me the best price in the renewal letter..........I then tell them to politely shove it where the sun dont shine and take up my cheapest quote..............I hate insurance companies as much as I hate Palace!!! (if you work for an insurance company please dont take my comments personally!!)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here