Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephens confident he will not run out of steam [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Dale Stephens has vowed to keep on running in pursuit of promotion with Albion.
The influential central midfielder insists there is no risk of him flagging in the second half of the season.
Albion reach the midway point of their Championship challenge at Brentford on Boxing Day.
Stephens and partner Beram Kayal have been key figures in the first half of the campaign.
Both have missed one League game, when they were sorely missed in the 0-0 home draw against Preston North End in October.
Only goalkeeper David Stockdale and right-back Bruno, both ever-present, have played more.
Boss Chris Hughton will be depending on his midfield kingpins to keep driving the team on and Stephens insists they can maintain their energy levels right through to the end in a gruelling division.
He told The Argus: "It's very relentless. We have Saturday-Tuesday an awful lot, so three games a week is not easy, but we've got a relatively young squad, very fit physically.
"We check the running stats every week and we're always up there so we are strong enough mentally and physically.
"I've done it previously, played 40-odd games in a season before. I don't think it's something I'd really worry about personally.
"We do get rest days. The manager does look after us in a tough week so hopefully we can replicate what we've done for the first few months."
Stephens has noticed an extra spring in the step of the players following the 3-0 defeat by leaders Middlesbrough at the Amex which ended Albion's 21-match unbeaten start and dropped them to third in the table.
They are motivated to prove wrong the doubters who believe they will drift out of contention, starting with the test at Brentford.
"It's a feeling we've had in training," Stephens revealed. "There's seemed like an extra buzz this week.
"The silver lining is, coming off the back of a difficult result, a difficult game can kick you on. I hope it gets a reaction out of the players.
"I don't think we were outplayed (against Boro). Between both boxes we held our own at times but if you're not scoring you're not going to win games.
"Unfortunately, they were clinical enough to take their chances. We didn't really create an awful lot either.
"It was obviously a bad day for us but something we've learnt from straight away."
Albion have played four of the top eight in their last six games. They face four of the bottom 11 in the next six but Stephens has highlighted the recent scare against his old club at the Amex as evidence of the strength in depth of the Championship from first place to last.
He said: "No game in this division is easy. Charlton are almost down the bottom of the League and they gave us a really tough game, so we are not taking account of League positions. We know we've got to do our jobs and do enough to win."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here