Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uckfield

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Much like Notters, I spent most of my formative years there and still have family living close by.

IMO the town itself is full of chavvy wannabe gangsters - plenty of tattooed berks driving around in range rovers.

It's true that there are some decent amenities these days, but if I were ever to move back that way, it would be to one of the outlying villages rather than the town itself.

Live in Crowborough but consider that if you merged the shops in Uckfield High St with the excellent range of supermarkets in Crowborough you would have the perfect inland Sussex town. Excellent cinema, wide varity of charity shops (Pottings love these, I know others loath them) and you can buy draught Harveys best in your own container from Noble Wines without having to travel all the way to Lewes.

Echo the sentiment regarding the annoying gap in the railway line, if all the hot air expended over the years on the matter could be converted into cash it would have been bridged by now.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
East Grinstead's population is already larger than Crowborough's by several thousand.

Hailsham is a couple of hundred short of Crowborough's.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
East Grinstead's population is already larger than Crowborough's by several thousand.

And in WEST Sussex. And Hailsham was a couple of hundred short in 2011 - hence my comment

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Well considering EG is in West Sussex and I said East Sussex you may have a point !

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Population of Hailsham is about 5,000 less than Crowborough at around 20,000

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Absolute hole. Loads of chavs, farmers, travellers.

No pubs or anything to do, difficult to get in and out of. Some nice surrounding areas but not Uckfield itself

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
And EG is smaller too its 23000 something

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Absolute hole. Loads of chavs, farmers, travellers.

No pubs or anything to do, difficult to get in and out of. Some nice surrounding areas but not Uckfield itself

I apologise for living here and enjoying living here. I am clearly an idiot.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
And EG is smaller too its 23000 something

In the 2001 census East Grinstead had a recorded population of 23,942. Are you honestly suggesting that it hasn't increased at all in the last 14 years?

Edit: according to East Grinstead Town Council, the population of EG was 28,500 in Feb 2015.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ok, quick précis.
I am originally from T wells and in my 50's so I have passed through Uckfield on many occasions, even down the high street before the by pass and always thought it was a nice quiet Sussex town where not much happens, but that was some time ago.
I was visiting my brother over the week end who lives in Heathfield, having driven from Plymouth my tank was empty so I asked if there was any 99p petrol around as the local station was 107. He said we would have to go to Uckfield and he would come with me to show me the quickest way.

On entering the town, I pulled into a petrol station and as I did a lady reversed out from my left and I had to swerve quickly as she would probably have hit me, she just carried on, I looked over at her, she was probably in her 40,s, she gave me the 2 fingers and the w****r sign and was hollering abuse.
I lost the plot and blocked her in at the exit and was about to get out and sort her out but my brother advised me not to, so I carried on down the high street.
Looking in my mirror I had this really crappy car right up behind me, who pulled along side, winding down our windows this young lad and his girlfriend were giving me pelters saying that she was nowhere near me, I told him that I just swerved as it looked like she was going to hit me and I was just avoiding her, and that he did not see what she was doing and saying from her car. I told him to mind his own business, wished him a merry Christmas and he went off.
I filled up at another station which was the same price as Heathfield (no 99p petrol in Uckfield) and set of back to Heathfield.
Leaving the town, I was driving along a road with parked cars and side roads on the left.
I saw a car stop at one of the side roads and just as I was about to go past at 20mph he pulled out right in front of me, I had to slam the brakes on. He stopped and wound down his window and was giving me the dogs abuse, 2 fingers and the w****r sign, again. He was in his 50's.
I could not believe what was going on, I had only been in the place for 15 minutes and honestly had done nothing wrong to get this treatment.
I said to my brother "what the hell is going on, I don't remember Uckfield being like this years ago"
He was laughing and said " welcome to Uckfield, thank god you are not in Hailsham"

Now I know things are different these days, places have changed and so have people, but Uckfield?, Skelmersdale maybe, is this typical, I don't get this in Plymouth and parts of this City are very rough.
Was I just very unlucky. I am no pussy, but I was shocked, and all in just 15minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here