Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sell Dunk in January

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
You talk some utter rubbish but that takes the biscuit. I have always wanted us in the top division long before you ever entered this site with your sucking up to the club. The club have always said they would never hold a player back so if as suggested a top 6 premier club comes in for him it would be totally wrong for us to hold him back but to let him go it would take a lot of money. That could then be spent strengthening the side in other departments but also it would mean that we would need both Goldson and Uwe to have stepped up to the mark to replace him. and thus minimise our loss on the field to not make us weaker. What is so wrong with that?

• The fact that you're treating Dunk merely as a commodity, rather than a human.
• The fact you'd be happy to see Dunk go.
• The fact you're arguing against yourself - in this instance about the quality of the other defenders.
• The fact you don't know what you're on about.
• The fact that you don't do irony.
• The fact that you believe someone is 'sucking up to the club' has any meaning.

I could go on for hours and I probably will, but I'd sooner put some joy back in...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Think it would depend on the money on offer and whether TB is willing to sell

No-one on here mentions the dreaded "A" word (for "Agent".) An agent can often persuade a player to move in his own interests purely for the cut he gets.

I have started reading a book "Left Foot Foward" by Garry Nelson at the dawn of the Premiership era in 1994 when Garry was at Charlton, having been effectively sacked by Barry Lloyd at Brighton. He specifically mentions the malign influence of a certain Eric Hall (remember him?) on Charlton's star CB Darren Pitcher who after a good Charlton cup-run (televised) was lured to accept an end-of-season offer from..ermm.. Crystal Palace. In the meantime Garry says his form dived markedly, and that effectively could have costed Charrlton the chance of promotion that season.

No doubt Dunky has an agent, not Erisc Hall (I hope) but someone who needs dosh. So it might not TB who decides things.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Despite what Big Al/Albion Roar says any player at the club is a commodity that will be bought and sold as required subject to them agreeing improved terms and as has been said many times the only consonant in a club are the fans. Directors, manager, players come and go as suit the occasion supporters remain mostly for life.

FWIW I dont want to see Dunk go but I am realistic.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Despite what Big Al/Albion Roar says any player at the club is a commodity that will be bought and sold as required subject to them agreeing improved terms and as has been said many times the only consonant in a club are the fans. Directors, manager, players come and go as suit the occasion supporters remain mostly for life.

That's a vowel thing to allege.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

I don't really listen to what Albion Roar has to say as he is very opinionated and it's his opinion or no opinion....But I can't help think you have this wrong. Why would we sell in January, especially if we are in a similar position as to what we are in now?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't really listen to what Albion Roar has to say as he is very opinionated and it's his opinion or no opinion....But I can't help think you have this wrong. Why would we sell in January, especially if we are in a similar position as to what we are in now?

2 major points if (a) he has a release clause and wants to leave to a top premier club (b) Somebody offers an absurd amount of money as every player has his price which would be foolish to turn down. Going back some years the fee Leeds paid for Rio Ferdinand.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
2 major points if (a) he has a release clause and wants to leave to a top premier club (b) Somebody offers an absurd amount of money as every player has his price which would be foolish to turn down. Going back some years the fee Leeds paid for Rio Ferdinand.

If we sell a 'key' player in January, what message would that give out to the rest of the team and the supporters?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we sell a 'key' player in January, what message would that give out to the rest of the team and the supporters?

If he has asked to go that we will not hinder a players progress for our own ends. If he hasnt a very handsome % of the fee to sign on which could possibly set him up for life and other players would say if only. Supporters would not be happy but would overcome it if those stepping up did the job ie Goldson or Uwe.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
If he has asked to go that we will not hinder a players progress for our own ends. If he hasnt a very handsome % of the fee to sign on which could possibly set him up for life and other players would say if only. Supporters would not be happy but would overcome it if those stepping up did the job ie Goldson or Uwe.

Stephens asked to go.......

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

The club has always said we wouldn't stop a player moving up.

But we did with Stephens.

The club broke it's own ethos there. Shit thing to do. I like Stephens. We need him. I didn't want him to go.

We've broken our own rule on that one. I can't see Stephens signing a new contract with us. Promotion or not. The morals of it are key.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't think Hughton will go anywhere. I get the impression he is happy here and wants to complete the job.

And he knows he has the full backing of the Chairman, Board and CEO. He is respected by the players and loved by the fans. Jumping into a cauldron and clusterf**k like Villa he would lose it all. He just ain't that stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here