Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking charges and revenue

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It's not the fines

It's the car park/ meter charges -£6 per hour!!

Could you give a specific example of £6.00 an hour car park charges as run by Brighton & Hove City Council? Thanks.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
More cycle lanes no doubt.

Now that would be a brilliant thing.

However, the council - for the most part - doesn't pay for them. Central government does.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not sure whether that figure was total including fines or just revenue from parking meters. Is this a rise due to there being no cash meters now but all paid by a card.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
If I park in town I expect to pay for parking and if Brighton wants to charge top whack, so be it. What does annoy me is that you have to sign up to different companies in each town to pay by phone. Eastbourne has a different one to Brighton. Horsham is different too.
Having had my moan most times I go into Brighton or Eastbourne I use the marvellous Coaster Bus service with my OAP bus pass so if parking charges are used to fund bus passes I am all for it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Before the 2015 Council elections :

This shows the cynical anti-car and anti-business agenda of the Green party and a complete disregard for the citizens of Brighton.

After the 2015 council elections:

This shows the result of good, efficient, management of council revenue streams in order to benefit the businesses and people of Brighton.

It all depends on your view.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Last weekend parked behind The Grand. Thought we were there for 24 hours, but Mrs OW forgot a bag so after 4.5 hours paid the £18.50 to leave and returned an hour later, re-parked and stumped up about £26 the next morning! £40 on parking for 24 hours!

I read that Brighton has the highest income from parking charges in the UK outside of London nearly £19m but it is ok because they are going to use it to offset OAP Bus passes. The RAC are up in arms saying that it is not permitted to use parking to raise money to be used in other areas. Any views either for or against?

Ban oap's from buses! and spoons!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Both would go broke as it is the oap that keep them going.

Actually, it's the council that keeps the buses going because oaps don't have to pay anything. And it's not just oaps. You don't have to be an oap to get a free pass - men get them at the equivalent female retirement age. So we have a situation where blokes still at work can park up somewhere for free (usually in a nice residential street) and get a free lift in to work on the bus. I know a lot of people who use local free car parks, or free on street parking, and bus into brighton for free, and still get back to their cars within the relevant time limit.
So really, the rules on bus pass qualification need reviewing, and the cost of parking in Brighton needs reviewing. Perhaps it's all part of the council's campaign to rid Brighton of locals and import people from London who are happy to pay inflated prices for our houses and parking their 4x4s.
Parking and car travel around town is just a joke. Gradually parking controls are going in ever increasing circles from the centre - soon noone will be able to park outside their houses without a permit.
Another issue is the expansion of local schools and them allowing people from all over town to take their kids there. I live in Westdene and the local Primary school has always been popular, despite the local roads and infrastructure being unable to support it. So what did they do - yep, made it bigger! So now it is gridlock mornings and afternoons with mums in their 4x4s, car prangs, irate drivers, annoyed neighbours.
Rant over.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The problem is that the council has stretched this cash cow far too far. For example, when residents parking was first proposed it was promised the cost of the permits would be set at a level just to cover the costs of the scheme. Bristol City Council ( a city that in many respects mirrors ours - loads of students, Victorian narrow streets, similar population numbers ) also made the same promise to their residents.

So the question has to be asked why B&H permits are 3 to 4 times more expensive than Bristol ones ? It can only be one of two reasons :

1. Our council are so poorly run that running the residents parking schemes really does cost that much more.
2. They lied.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Actually, it's the council that keeps the buses going because oaps don't have to pay anything. And it's not just oaps. You don't have to be an oap to get a free pass - men get them at the equivalent female retirement age. So we have a situation where blokes still at work can park up somewhere for free (usually in a nice residential street) and get a free lift in to work on the bus. I know a lot of people who use local free car parks, or free on street parking, and bus into brighton for free, and still get back to their cars within the relevant time limit.
So really, the rules on bus pass qualification need reviewing, and the cost of parking in Brighton needs reviewing. Perhaps it's all part of the council's campaign to rid Brighton of locals and import people from London who are happy to pay inflated prices for our houses and parking their 4x4s.
Parking and car travel around town is just a joke. Gradually parking controls are going in ever increasing circles from the centre - soon noone will be able to park outside their houses without a permit/QUOTE]

I am not sure that is correct at least not in West or Mid Sussex as sister in law retired ag 60 but had to wait until she was 62 to get her pass but her husband has to wait to 65. Other people who are eligible are those not able to obtain a driving licence like disabled medical or mental. My point is that if it wasnt for free passes on most buses excluding city centres perhaps the buses would be nearly empty.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I am not sure that is correct at least not in West or Mid Sussex as sister in law retired ag 60 but had to wait until she was 62 to get her pass but her husband has to wait to 65. Other people who are eligible are those not able to obtain a driving licence like disabled medical or mental. My point is that if it wasnt for free passes on most buses excluding city centres perhaps the buses would be nearly empty.
For info - it will have depended on his dob. There is a calculator on the gov website as retirement dates for men and women have been changed so much in the past few years. However, because of equality rules, they had to reduce the qualification age for men down to the equivalent age for women. The qualification rules are the same nationwide, although different councils have different rules when the passes may be used.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Before the 2015 Council elections :

This shows the cynical anti-car and anti-business agenda of the Green party and a complete disregard for the citizens of Brighton.

After the 2015 council elections:

This shows the result of good, efficient, management of council revenue streams in order to benefit the businesses and people of Brighton.

It all depends on your prejudices.

Absolutely, with one correction at the end.

The car parking charges haven't affected visitors - car parks are still full, and the council benefits.

All this talk of Brighton becoming a ghost town was, quite predictably, utter gibberish.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For info - it will have depended on his dob. There is a calculator on the gov website as retirement dates for men and women have been changed so much in the past few years. However, because of equality rules, they had to reduce the qualification age for men down to the equivalent age for women. The qualification rules are the same nationwide, although different councils have different rules when the passes may be used.

That is not correct as I have checked with both brother and sister in law and what I have said is correct and West Sussex Council say she has to wait until; she reaches 62 and him until he reaches 65. Nothing whatsoever to do with their jobs as she worked in a nursing home and he worked at Beechams.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
That is not correct as I have checked with both brother and sister in law and what I have said is correct and West Sussex Council say she has to wait until; she reaches 62 and him until he reaches 65. Nothing whatsoever to do with their jobs as she worked in a nursing home and he worked at Beechams.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

In England you can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the female State Pension age, whether you’re a man or a woman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here