Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official Match Thread: Syrian air strikes

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
just heard Diane Abbott moaning that bombing ISIL from 100`s of 1000`s of feet will be totally ineffective

i tend to agree Diane,not only will bombing them from Space be ineffective it would also physically be a bit of a challenge.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
just heard Diane Abbott moaning that bombing ISIL from 100`s of 1000`s of feet will be totally ineffective

i tend to agree Diane,not only will bombing them from Space be ineffective it would also physically be a bit of a challenge.

Abbott is a racist b****! quote "White people love playing 'divide & rule' We should not play their game."

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Hammond says 104 backbenchers have spoken in the debate. They have done justice to the subject, he says.

One of the key issues has been, What is the military plan?

All MPs agree that air strikes on their own will not defeat Isis.

But they will make a difference, he says.

Opponents of the government argue that bombing Raqqa won’t make a difference, and that it will also create a power vacuum. They cannot have it both ways, he says.

He says ultimately there will have to be a ground assault on Raqqa. But that may be months away, or years away.

Hammond says there are Islamists in the Syrian opposition.

But the UK can work with Islamists. There are Islamists in the parliaments of Kuwait and Tunisia, he says.

This last bit is what worries me. I'm in favour of taking part in air strikes, but the US backed the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan and if I'm right, they were the forerunner of the Taliban. Unfortunately the moderate ones hardly ever seem to be able to unite round a single candidate for leader, such as what happened with Mohammed Elbaradei in Egypt. They got Mohammed Morsi and then military rule again instead. Unfortunately I think we will have to put up with Assad staying in power, in the short term at least.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good because Corbyn is a C***! He is a traitor to this country.

I (reluctantly) am in the 'yes' camp.

However, I roundly condemn David Cameron for calling those who oppose the bombing 'terrorist sympathisers'. That makes him an arse, a prick, and several words that will be filtered out if I try to enter them on here. You have just labelled yourself in the same way.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I (reluctantly) am in the 'yes' camp.

However, I roundly condemn David Cameron for calling those who oppose the bombing 'terrorist sympathisers'. That makes him an arse, a prick, and several words that will be filtered out if I try to enter them on here. You have just labelled yourself in the same way.

Quote Corbyn I am happy to commerate the IRA dead and for all those who died for a united ireland. Explain that one. So when the IRA bombed my hometown according to his principles it was OK.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

Diane has been on fire today in terms of the absolute bollocks she has come out with

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Indeed, and what's the betting on him becoming Labour leader before long? An excellent minister when he was at the Home Office, and I say that as a staunch Tory. All governments need a decent opposition and the current lot are a complete shower.

Of course you say that as a Tory, Hilary Benn has just delivered the key note speech for your party. Why wouldn't you be delighted?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Diane has been on fire today in terms of the absolute bollocks she has come out with

luckily for everyone she is on question time tomorrow night,with Caroline Lucas,Maajid Nawaz and Nicky Morgan

could be quite a good one

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Cameron should win with a small majority and if he doesn't, we will just have to do this all over again til he gets the result he wants.

Huge majority.

67 Labour MPs vote with the Govt.

Half the shadow cabinet do likewise

benn makes speech of the day, and should be Leader by Friday morning after Thursdays disastrous result in Oldham.

At least something good might come out of today.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Of course you say that as a Tory, Hilary Benn has just delivered the key note speech for your party. Why wouldn't you be delighted?

Er, I admired him in the days when I worked at the Home Office (2003-2009), along with others such as Baroness Scotland and Paul Goggins. Corbyn and his bunch aren't a patch on them.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I don't get the Benn love in at all.

He just stated the bleeding obvious and made an emotional and moral plea/justification for action based on the need to 'do our bit'. No reference to any tactical or strategic plan or the related expressed concerns of course. I realise I may be in a minority here but given the time to consider what to say he's decided to grab easy headlines instead of informing debate when the outcome of the vote was known. Apparently he is now 2/1 to be next Labour Leader...

Lastly, irrespective of the content, I didn't even think he even spoke that well.
I'll get me coat....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here