Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January player transfer churn

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
My concern is Bozza naming Dunk, Kayal, Stephens and March. I hope he doesn't know something...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My concern is Bozza naming Dunk, Kayal, Stephens and March. I hope he doesn't know something...

Don't be - I know nothing at all!

They are the standouts though. Rivals tried to buy two of them at the beginning of the season when we had little idea of what was to come. Beyond that, Beram Kayal has been outstanding and Solly March is probably the club's most valuable asset.

It would seem unlikely that no one would come in for any of them and we'd clearly not be up for selling unless money offered reached "too good to turn down" levels and/or equal/better replacement(s) could be found.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Agreed.

Losing either of those will be a major blow for us. But I can't see a prem team coming in for Stephens. Kayak is another matter. Those 2 are, I believe, the 2 main reasons why we are where we are.

I will lose my shit if either goes.

We could always throw in the "Towell"!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I can see us selling a Dunk or a March if silly money is offered, in order to offset the cost of any additions. But hope that we can otherwise show the same determination in fending off suitors like we did in the Summer.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think from what CH said last week Manu is here to stay. The suggestion was very much that he's not settled as quickly as hoped but still has a part to play.

My problem with Manu is.....He should be knocking on the Manager's door and asking why he isn't playing. When Murphy got suspended he should have been going all out in training trying to show he was good enough to break into the team.

W should be aiming to get into a position that when a player is injured or suspended that it doesn't matter. We are getting there with the players we re bringing in for the future and who will improve but for a guy who played Champions League football he should be showing more.

I obviously havn't seen him in training but if he was good enough he will get his opportunity but it's up to him to grab that opportunity and that goes for everyone on the fringes of the team. Jamie and Solly grabbed theirs when Lua lua got injured and surpended

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Do top of the league Championship clubs ever sell their star assets in January? We'll be fine. None of our essentials will leave. But if we don't get promotion . . . . .

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
We'd be up shit creek without a paddle, you mean?

Yep. We would though wouldn't we?

We could always throw in the "Towell"!

I'm unconvinced by this signing. I don't see how a player from such a league will command a starting place over what we have. I have a feeling he may be another Manu or the fella from Grasshoppers (can't even remember his name now). Jamie Murphy is a possible comparison. He's done bloody well in the last 6 weeks I think but if it hadn't have been for Kaz getting injured he wouldn't be featuring. Unless Kaz had a drop in form which is subjective as an argument.

This Towell fella has a lot to prove and my somewhat tentative support but he has a lot of hard work in front of him to even be considered. If he can force his way in as a sub I'll be impressed and if he can get and hold a starting place I'll be very impressed. He's got some serious competition to beat, perhaps it'll be a good thing that inspires Solly, Jamie and Kaz to up their game and make them continue to be first choices.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it developes. And how Hughton is going to keep everyone happy.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton

I'm unconvinced by this signing. I don't see how a player from such a league will command a starting place over what we have. I have a feeling he may be another Manu or the fella from Grasshoppers (can't even remember his name now). Jamie Murphy is a possible comparison. He's done bloody well in the last 6 weeks I think but if it hadn't have been for Kaz getting injured he wouldn't be featuring. Unless Kaz had a drop in form which is subjective as an argument.

This Towell fella has a lot to prove and my somewhat tentative support but he has a lot of hard work in front of him to even be considered. If he can force his way in as a sub I'll be impressed and if he can get and hold a starting place I'll be very impressed. He's got some serious competition to beat, perhaps it'll be a good thing that inspires Solly, Jamie and Kaz to up their game and make them continue to be first choices.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it developes. And how Hughton is going to keep everyone happy.

That's fair enough. He does have it all to prove. If he does come good then that would be amazing, as Stephens and Kayal will be out of the team at some point.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Kayal is an interesting one. Brilliant for us. The 3 or 4 times I've seen him for Israel he's been rubbish. I know Celtic fans love him, I'm convinced someone will try and poach him. Think we will hang on to him unless it's silly money.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Bruno is out of contract in the summer, what if he was keen to secure his future beyond June ???

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....(catches breath)....ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another season this division, yes, OK. A one year contract. If we should go up.........is he good enough for the PL - or will age prove to be the scunner at that time? Age, I think....tough on Bruno, but that's football.

Last edited:

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

'My somewhat tentative support' ???

So he only gets your support in any measure if he's lashing in multiple goals a game? Lets hope there isn't a slight dip in form or you might have to boo every game to show your complete lack of support for non performing players!

I presume you meant something else and I'm being facetious.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Another season this division, yes, OK. A one year contract. If we should go up.........is he good enough for the PL - or will age prove to be the scunner at that time? Age, I think....tough on Bruno, but that's football.

Agree with you here, but he wouldn't be a bad option for a reserve right-back in the PL.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Kayal - 10/10 (utter emotional meltdown) - selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season.

Stephens - see Kayal

Just had me spitting my tea out :lolol:

(Think Mel might be up for it, but I have a hunch you'd be wasting your breath with the lovely Sue).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

You clearly didnt see Murphy against Bristol City he looked quality, I dont think there is any doub that he wouldnt have got a game, If Kaz was fit he and March would have both been battling out for one place. So your point on Murphy I cant agree with.

As for Towell I can't see why so many people are against it. I am quite excited by his signing, Granted he is going to need to do a lot to knock Stehpans or Kayal out of the starting 11 but it adds another option if injury and suspension occur. Crofts will never let us down but he doesnt have the pace to get from end to end quick enough these days, JFC has always struggled to be that player and Ince is very good at doing one job, breaking up playing and giving it easy. So the fact we signed Towell is al good by me.

Also Towell was tracked by a number of clubs and we have very close connections in Ireland now so I would imagine we no a lot about this lad. He is also pushing to make the ROI Euro squad so he must have some potential.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree with you here, but he wouldn't be a bad option for a reserve right-back in the PL.

Think this would be the case if we went up, and if we don't he'll get a contract extension anyway. Also think it very unlikely he'll be leaving in January - very unlikely a prem club will come in for him or that he'd move to another championship club. He is Calde's best mate as well.

He's been immense this season.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Sell Chicksen
Sell Holla
Loan out JFC
Loan out the winger we got from PNE
Loan out Harper to league 1
Loan out Tilley to league 2
Bring in a left back on loan

If Baldock and Lua Lua are back early Jan, we won't need anymore signings.However Wilson can be recalled, so I wouldn't complain if we spent big on a striker !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here