Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

International Tourists Flock to the UK for Football

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
If I was going abroad to watch a game of football, I'd want to do it in a proper ground full of character. That is probably why you so the vast majority of people from Europe on the European Football Grounds page on Facebook heading for places like Fulham and Brentford. Selhurst may be shit, but you can't deny it has those two qualities

In what world is Shithurst a 'proper ground'.....unless it's still the 1970's in your world!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If I was going abroad to watch a game of football, I wouldn't want to do it in a properly awful ground half full of chav tw#ts banging drums. That is probably why you so the vast majority of people from Europe on the European Football Grounds page on Facebook heading for places like Fulham and Brentford instead. Selhurst is completely shit, and you can't deny it has those two qualities

Yes, yes it does.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Slightly related to the thread, but I've seen the best long-haul flights from the UK to the US are Norwegian Air.
£199 for a direct flight to LA most times in the year, great value!
I just wonder why that is.

I took that flight from LA to Nice via Copenhagen a year or so ago and quite nice it was too. Only cost around $300 US. Fantastic airline.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7174048 said:
I took that flight from LA to Nice via Copenhagen a year or so ago and quite nice it was too. Only cost around $300 US. Fantastic airline.

Good to hear that it's a decent airline.
I'm just happy that they do flights from Gatwick rather than Heathrow. An easy 35 minute train journey rather than a 2.5 hour coach slog. Really makes a big difference!

Chucky_78

Banned
Jan 30, 2012
Why does Dougie get a hard time? A thread was started about foreigners coming to see football in the UK. He then elaborated on it and gets the piss ripped out of him? ???

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
CU6pf0MWwAAOtVJ.jpg

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
They've spent 10 years slowly beating the competition on domestic flights and short haul around Northern Europe based on a simple yet very punctual service. A lot of people fly between cities in Norway as mountains and fjords make driving times long. These people generally use Norwegian as its as easy as taking a bus.

Now they've got something approaching a monopoly here they can afford to do it with long haul flights.

Off topic from the original subject, I know......

When they are late, they are very very late! When things go wrong, their customer service make Ryanair appear gold star leaders of excellence in that field. Norwegian are terrible when it comes to paying delay repay compensation. They like to claim 'extraordinary circumstances' for every kind of delay even though they have court judgements against them ruling that defence as rubbish. Norwegian Air have been subject to group legal action in Sweden for simply ignoring claims. "We are a low cost airline and this law is unfair" is their defence.

Right? That'll show em........

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
In what world is Shithurst a 'proper ground'.....unless it's still the 1970's in your world!

Plenty of people hark back for the time when football wasn't money driven or a corporate game. Hence why you hear lots of complaints about these new stadiums that are basically all the same. Why is Brentford one of our most popular away days? Yes it's close but it is also a proper football ground where the facilities are on a par with Selhurst.

Or are we just not allowed to like it because it's the home of Palace?

Plenty of people hark back for the time when football wasn't money driven or a corporate game. Hence why you hear lots of complaints about these new stadiums that are basically all the same. Why is Brentford one of our most popular away days? Yes it's close but it is also a proper football ground where the facilities are on a par with Selhurst.

We have to slag Selhurst off, by law. But yes I hark back about the good old days, and I very much enjoy the "facilities" in the away end there and in my opinion it is a proper ground.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I think you're partly saying that to be controversial, but I really should remind you that Palace's ground is a particularly shit example of old school grounds. It is surrounded by hovels and dog shit pavements, the pubs are bang average (compared to Fulham or Brentford) and the Arthur Waite is a shockingly shit stand. The rest of the ground is unfeasibly ugly. With a supermarket at one end (and about three rows of seating) and a hideous giant stand behind the other goal, it looks absolutely shuffle, and actually makes the ground look uglier than the supermarket does.

There are plenty of old grounds that retain most of their charm and character despite being brought up to modern standards. Forest's is probably my favourite but Fulham's is also lovely. Even Charlton, where 3 quarters of the ground has been completely rebuilt, the away stand is the same as it was in 1984 and is about 1000 times better than the utter shithole that is the Arthur Waite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here