Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea plan to knock down Stamford Bridge and build a new 60,000 capacity stadium

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
They were all right in our promotion season in 1987/88 where we averaged 9,000 in division 3, but they didn't really get any better. By the time we finished 6th under Barry Lloyd in the old division 2 in 1991 (a division higher!) we were averaging a feeble 8,386. This was FAR lower than comparable clubs in that same division. Look at 1990 in these links for other clubs:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/archive/eng/aveeng1990.htm

In our division, only Bournemouth, Hull(!!) and Oxford averaged lower than us in 1990

And here's the play-off season, where we averaged 8,386:
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/archive/eng/aveeng1991.htm

About 6 or 7 clubs had worse gates, but none of them finished anywhere near the play-offs except the terribly supported Notts County, some of them (Blackburn) were close to being relegated, and some DID get relegated.

So yes, the Goldstone was a dump, but so were many other grounds. But our support was f*king shìt.
Well Cardiff averaged 2956 that year....things happen and the 90's were awful for many clubs.
What was the goldstone capacity in1991?
17k?
15,390 v millwall in the playoffs and a full house

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well Cardiff averaged 2956 that year....things happen and the 90's were awful for many clubs.
What was the goldstone capacity in1991?
17k?
15,390 v millwall in the playoffs and a full house
Yes Cardiff had terrible support too back then.

My point was that this idea you have (and responded to Alfredmizen with) that we are some huge club that has always had far better gates than its league position deserves, is completely flawed. Sometimes that has been true, but so has the complete opposite as I have demonstrated.

Now, what is your point?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yes , its the bane of my football life , on matchdays we meet in the pub, have a few beers and a bit of a laugh with the blokes, the kids get a pub burger which they love, maybe even a couple of pints after the match if we fancy it , but the black cloudthats constantly hovering over my football life is the realisation that i'm not one of ''you'' , now i stress this doesnt apply to most brighton fans, but i'd rather insert a hot soldering iron down my japs eye than be recognised as one of the likes of ''you'', thats if you ever actually get to a game.

Interesting threat. What's wrong with the rusty spoon/eye one? Chelsea fans, cuh! Always got to be different. :)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yes Cardiff had terrible support too back then.

My point was that this idea you have (and responded to Alfredmizen with) that we are some huge club that has always had far better gates than its league position deserves, is completely flawed. Sometimes that has been true, but so has the complete opposite as I have demonstrated.

Now, what is your point?
You have to bare in mind we've spent 75% of our history in the bottom two divisions and before the demise from the late 80's we was averaging around 11k.
I think our attendances were pretty good considering the lack of funds,lower division football and a decrepit stadium with weeds and concrete scattered everywhere.
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bha.htm

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The thing is, you post like you really believe this, rather than the uninteresting preachy internet bore that you are in reality.

Says the 40k+ poster who keeps Stasi-like files on everyone. Still, our streets must be safer. :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You have to bare in mind we've spent 75% of our history in the bottom two divisions and before the demise from the late 80's we was averaging around 11k.
I think our attendances were pretty good considering the lack of funds,lower division football and a decrepit stadium with weeds and concrete scattered everywhere.
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bha.htm
But everything you have just said about our time prior to leaving The Goldstone can also be applied to Chelsea.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Says the 40k+ poster who keeps Stasi-like files on everyone. Still, our streets must be safer. :)
Nope, I just notice that you only pop up to tell everyone how shit the support is these days and how everyone should be grateful to you personally for keeping the club alive when the reality is that you were just another fan in the dark times with nothing to say anymore.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Agrees with Sir Albion shock!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
But everything you have just said about our time prior to leaving The Goldstone can also be applied to Chelsea.
Didn't realise Chelsea were struggling in the lower divisions for decades and plotless or am I missing something?
Clubs like Chelsea and the liverpools etc have spent most of their history bar a few seasons in the top division....One day one of these may go down,but unlikely as they have the financial clout as always.

Jan 1, 2014
As a Chelsea fan I can't say I'm thrilled that the Bridge is going to be knocked down and rebuilt from scratch as contrary to what our jelly rivals say The Bridge has alot of character and is proper old school even with the 90s redevelopment. But I do recognize that we need to be making an extra £15m a year on gate money to rival Arsenal, Liverpool, United and City.

We have used the loan system very well but its with great sadness I believe its the correct decision to do this work on the Bridge. We have moved that extra level since RA came, in late 90s we were what I'd consider Everton to be now. I just hope the interior of the new Bridge is not a Blue Emirates and we keep the soul and spirit of the Bridge for eternity. I also imagine The Bridge will get a sponsor but that won't change what I call it.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
As a Chelsea fan I can't say I'm thrilled that the Bridge is going to be knocked down and rebuilt from scratch as contrary to what our jelly rivals say The Bridge has alot of character and is proper old school even with the 90s redevelopment. But I do recognize that we need to be making an extra £15m a year on gate money to rival Arsenal, Liverpool, United and City.

We have used the loan system very well but its with great sadness I believe its the correct decision to do this work on the Bridge. We have moved that extra level since RA came, in late 90s we were what I'd consider Everton to be now. I just hope the interior of the new Bridge is not a Blue Emirates and we keep the soul and spirit of the Bridge for eternity. I also imagine The Bridge will get a sponsor but that won't change what I call it.

I'm not sure how long you've been going mate , but the soul and spirit of the bridge disappeared a while ago in my opinion, decent atmospheres are few and far between , I don't know maybe I'm just an old git looking at things through rose tinted lenses.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nope, I just notice that you only pop up to tell everyone how shit the support is these days and how everyone should be grateful to you personally for keeping the club alive when the reality is that you were just another fan in the dark times with nothing to say anymore.

No, I think you'll find you HAVE posted 40k+ times which indicates you have too many opinions but too few friends. That and that ability to hold a grudge seemingly. But then keeping files on everyone enables this in your cyber existence. All monitoring! Ever watching! Stasister!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I have never liked Chelsea. Found the fans in the round EPL and aggressive and the owner much of what i dislike about football but whatever,cits just my opinion, and as the saying goes WHATEVER

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I would be delighted if i was a Chelsea fan, got to be a much better option than moving to a new site ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here