Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richie Towell

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like the sound of Towell. He's been with a big club, it didn't work out and he's rebuilt his career. I can see us getting a player who will be hungry for his second chance at the big time. Added to the fact that if he impresses he will have a great chance of going to the Euros.

Also think- from watching an interview with him online- that he's probably grown up a bit since his last stint in the UK. The Euros are, as you say, a great incentive, he's about to become a father...all of it points to a guy with a bit of a point to prove.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Hope we're not paying much.

Towell is out of contract - he's a free agent.

Why are we getting excited about a 24 year old from the Irish league?
A bit of prejudice there against the League of Ireland Hampster.

I am a season ticket holder at Limerick (unfortunately relegated after a play-off despite winning 7 and drawing 2 of the last 12 games) and the standard of League of Ireland is higher than people think. Limerick were playing some terrific free-flowing passing football towards the end of the season and many of the games in the Markets Field were way more entertaining than some of the tripe served up by the Premiership with a fantastic atmosphere.

As for Towell - he is the best player to play in the League of Ireland for years.

Towell - like many of the players who play in the League of Ireland - went to Britain as a teenager (in Towell's case to Celtic) - and like most Irish (and British) teenagers was dumped on the scrapheap. Towell came closer than many to making it at a high level in Britain - he played 30 games on loan at Hibs (when they were in the Scottish Premiership) despite suffering some fitness issues, but when he was released by Celtic he decided to return to his native Dundalk rather than sign for Hibs. Over the past 3 years with Dundalk Towell has got better year-on-year. Like many other Irish players he has matured since his time in Scotland and is a much better footballer.

The League of Ireland has many decent footballers - many who would have a decent professional career in England. However, these days many prefer to remain in Ireland as professionals in the League of Ireland. Few Irish teenagers who get dumped by English and Scottish clubs end up in the League of Ireland - 3 out of 4 never play in the LoI and few of those that do stay playing for more than a year or two.

Among those who played in the League of Ireland before joining English clubs in recent times and having a good career include
Seamus Coleman (Sligo Rovers)
Kevin Doyle (St. Pats and Cork City)
Wes Hoolohan (Shelbourne)
James McClean (Derry City)
Noel Hunt (Shamrock Rovers)
Daryl Murphy (Waterford)
Stephen Ward (Bohemians)
Shane Long (Cork City)
David Meyler (Cork City)
Stephen Quinn (St. Pats)
Damien Delaney (Cork City)
David Forde (Galway Utd & Derry City)

There are currently 61 former League of Ireland players playing in the UK (quite a few in the Scottish Premiership).

Some of the best footballers to play in the Premiership also played in the League of Ireland
Roy Keane (Cobh Ramblers)
Paul McGrath (St Pats)
Kevin Moran (Pegasus)

Nobody can predict if Towell could step up the grade to play in the Premiership or the Championship - but he is ambitious and driven and has the talent and the temperament to be a top notch footballer. He has, apparently, already turned down offers from the USA (what appears to have been a significant financial package) and from Premiership clubs in Poland and Turkey. All signs indicate that he is headed to B&HA and if he does I think people will be surprised at his ability and the impact he will make.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We don't have a consistent goal scoring attacking central midfielder of note so this signing will give CH options.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I am a season ticket holder at Limerick (unfortunately relegated after a play-off despite winning 7 and drawing 2 of the last 12 games) and the standard of League of Ireland is higher than people think. Limerick were playing some terrific free-flowing passing football towards the end of the season and many of the games in the Markets Field were way more entertaining than some of the tripe served up by the Premiership with a fantastic atmosphere.

As for Towell - he is the best player to play in the League of Ireland for years.

Towell - like many of the players who play in the League of Ireland - went to Britain as a teenager (in Towell's case to Celtic) - and like most Irish (and British) teenagers was dumped on the scrapheap. Towell came closer than many to making it at a high level in Britain - he played 30 games on loan at Hibs (when they were in the Scottish Premiership) despite suffering some fitness issues, but when he was released by Celtic he decided to return to his native Dundalk rather than sign for Hibs. Over the past 3 years with Dundalk Towell has got better year-on-year. Like many other Irish players he has matured since his time in Scotland and is a much better footballer.

The League of Ireland has many decent footballers - many who would have a decent professional career in England. However, these days many prefer to remain in Ireland as professionals in the League of Ireland. Few Irish teenagers who get dumped by English and Scottish clubs end up in the League of Ireland - 3 out of 4 never play in the LoI and few of those that do stay playing for more than a year or two.

Among those who played in the League of Ireland before joining English clubs in recent times and having a good career include
Daryl Murphy (Waterford)
Stephen Ward (Bohemians)
Shane Long (Cork City)
David Meyler (Cork City)
Stephen Quinn (St. Pats)

There are currently 61 former League of Ireland players playing in the UK (quite a few in the Scottish Premiership).

Some of the best footballers to play in the Premiership also played in the League of Ireland
Paul McGrath (St Pats)
Kevin Moran (Pegasus)

Nobody can predict if Towell could step up the grade to play in the Premiership or the Championship - but he is ambitious and driven and has the talent and the temperament to be a top notch footballer. He has, apparently, already turned down offers from the USA (what appears to have been a significant financial package) and from Premiership clubs in Poland and Turkey. All signs indicate that he is headed to B&HA and if he does I think people will be surprised at his ability and the impact he will make.

Thanks for this, great info. Wonder how much influence CH's Irish connections and Calderwood having been with him at Hibs is having (oh, and being undefeated and top of the league, perhaps). Sounds very worth a punt.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the phrase is 'owned'.

Not really statistic can be expressed as you require them to be because he played 25 championship and 1 cup game in 12/13 season just over half of the total fixtures, of which he played 11 games after Christmas in the run up to finishing 4th and only 4 after mid February. He then left us and joined Rochdale in Div 2. He served us well but this hardly make him a great Championship player but a very good useful Div 1 and 2 player.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm with you, in team 'Irish unpredictables'.
And I'll raise you George O'Callaghan!

Good shout :thumbsup: I knew I was bound to miss at least one along the way.
Geirge was one that used to like to get 'involved' a bit too if my memory is correct?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Pretty good game to help sell the club .... any doubts he may have had should have been banished!!
Was it, though? I'm sure I remember reading in an interview that he only wanted to go somewhere where he would be an automatic first team choice - not in the reserves or on the bench. So, watching us yesterday, would surely make him think, 'on the bench unless someone gets injured'.
So just who, exactly, would he think he'd replace in our midfield? Is he really that arrogant......or is he really, really that good? Good in the League of Ireland, not so good in the SPL.........? Hmm........

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Not really statistic can be expressed as you require them to be because he played 25 championship and 1 cup game in 12/13 season just over half of the total fixtures, of which he played 11 games after Christmas in the run up to finishing 4th and only 4 after mid February. He then left us and joined Rochdale in Div 2. He served us well but this hardly make him a great Championship player but a very good useful Div 1 and 2 player.

you said and i quote: "none worthy of the championship". He clearly was.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Daryl Murphy (Waterford)
Stephen Ward (Bohemians)
Shane Long (Cork City)
David Meyler (Cork City)
Stephen Quinn (St. Pats)

Paul McGrath (St Pats)
Kevin Moran (Pegasus)

Must admit, you do make a good case.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's the Gary Dicker who played 26 times for the Albion side that finished 4th in the Championship three seasons ago?

Another good call. I remember Dicker being a key part of the League One winning team but seemed to remember he didn't quite get to be first choice in The Championship. My memory is a bit random though unfortunately.
I always loved watching Dicker play. I'd call him a classy player who always managed to buy himself time on the ball and some space with a neat turn or piece of skill. Could stroke the ball around a treat too. I know he had his knockers on here (which player hasn't) but I always liked him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
you said and i quote: "none worthy of the championship". He clearly was.

Not really he was a bit player to start the season and these appearances dropped off after Christmas because he wasnt good enough to command a place in the side regularely he was brought in played a game dropped brought back in dropped etc so obviously he trained well to get recalled. but not good enough to be a regular first teamer . This is the same as the previous season when he played 19 games as opposed to all games in Lge 1 the season before.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Daryl Murphy (Waterford)
Stephen Ward (Bohemians)
Shane Long (Cork City)
David Meyler (Cork City)
Stephen Quinn (St. Pats)

Paul McGrath (St Pats)
Kevin Moran (Pegasus)

Thanks JRG. Yes, apologies for the ill informed prejudice. At my prompting after your post my teenage boy has also pointed out that he always buys Towell on Football Mamager for the Albion as he is by far the best and many fro the LoI are undervalued. Fingers crossed this works out for all.

It must hurt to go down with that end of season record. I have been to Limerick a few times in the past and quite like the place. Good luck to Limerick next year.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's not going to be an expensive buy. And might be a real gem.

Well worth a gamble IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here