Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yes. Given the right players I am certain that he is far from negative. Yesterday's performance reminded me of our team when Poyet was in his pomp. Wonderful stuff.

Fans have short memories. They only remember the occasional display under Poyet when the wraps came off. A lot of the time it was turgid rubbish, keeping possession in our own half and trying to break the world record for passes square along the back four.
Poyet had a group of very good players under him but never truly got the best out of them. CH is clearly better tactically and also seems to get much more out of his squad. He is well-balanced and mature and certainly doesn't let his ego run away with him.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As much as I hate to back up BensGrandad as I generally disagree with him, we lost 2-0 at Ipswich last season under Hyypia on a Tuesday night early in the season. I think you're thinking of Norwich for the 3-3.

You're quite right on the away East Anglian games, and I'm wrong. But none of that supports what was said in the original post that I was responding to.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As much as I hate to back up BensGrandad as I generally disagree with him, we lost 2-0 at Ipswich last season under Hyypia on a Tuesday night early in the season. I think you're thinking of Norwich for the 3-3.

An apology from me, for my post, in that case.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was very happy with his appointment at the time, he was a safe pair of hands with an excellent track record in this division.

I'm AMAZED at the attitude of some on here, grizzling about the quality of the football under Hughton last season. He inherited a total dogs dinner of a squad, and his sole remit was to keep that shabby ragtag mob in the division, which he duly did. No it wasn't pretty, but then it wasn't his team was it. Regardless of how this season has gone, the fact that some people on here actually wanted to ditch Hughton in the summer, based purely on the 2nd half of last season, I just find astonishing. I was absolutely delighted that weren't going into yet ANOTHER summer with all the uncertainty of not even knowing who our manager would be. Hughton had his feet under the table long enough to see what a mess we were in, he assessed what we needed, and set about recruiting to address all those shortcomings. Now we are reaping the benefit, although fair to say this season has surpassed everyones expectations so far.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was very happy with his appointment at the time, he was a safe pair of hands with an excellent track record in this division.

I'm AMAZED at the attitude of some on here, grizzling about the quality of the football under Hughton last season. He inherited a total dogs dinner of a squad, and his sole remit was to keep that shabby ragtag mob in the division, which he duly did. No it wasn't pretty, but then it wasn't his team was it. Regardless of how this season has gone, the fact that some people on here actually wanted to ditch Hughton in the summer, based purely on the 2nd half of last season, I just find astonishing. I was absolutely delighted that weren't going into yet ANOTHER summer with all the uncertainty of not even knowing who our manager would be. Hughton had his feet under the table long enough to see what a mess we were in, he assessed what we needed, and set about recruiting to address all those shortcomings. Now we are reaping the benefit, although fair to say this season has surpassed everyones expectations so far.

Spot on :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At Ipswich we lost 2-0 and started with Baldock and CMS up front with Holla and Ince at the back and held them as our front two forced them back into their own box but then unexplicably Hypia took CMS , I think it was, off and this allowed them to push forward. At the time it was a choice of 2 either CH still had a house near Norwich and was just taking in a game or he possibly saw a vacancy coming up in the near future with us. We were in 2 minds but happy to have the latter.

Whether he takes us up this year or not he has done the job as against all expectation he kept us up last season and managed a great turn around this season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Precisely this. Couldn't believe people were calling for his head in the summer, ridiculous.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still don't get the negative thing some people cling to... Largely because Norwich fans said so.

It's worth remembering this comment if we find ourselves playing unattractive, unadventurous football and 15th or 16th in the Premier league this time next season and struggling but still above the bottom 3. Hughton is a pragmatist first and foremost. He seems to do what needs to be done first and foremost, then thinks about improving from a position of relative security.

With that in mind, I hope our fans aren't on his back next season if we do make it to the top division.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I don't recall anyone calling for his head, but let's be honest here - the second half of last season WAS awful. There were some truly terrible performances, lacking not only application, but more criminally - any desire or ambition. I'm thinking the likes of Wigan and Rotherham away - matches that even our crappy team should have taken to the opposition. Those matches did have me worrying that Hughton's 'safe pair of hands' were going to prove too 'safe'.

Absolutely delighted with his work since the last day of last term, though. The transfer business has been superb (most notably Kayal - in the Jan window - obvs), and we finally look like there is some STRATEGY.

The football has mostly been very, very good - the Bristol City and Birmingham home games for example were truly excellent matches (matches, rather than just Albion performances) and its all been highly enjoyable.

Most refreshing of all is the complete lack of ego from the man himself. I have a real problem with managers who make it all about THEM, rather than their team, when things are going well.

Long may it all last.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's worth remembering this comment if we find ourselves playing unattractive, unadventurous football and 15th or 16th in the Premier league this time next season and struggling but still above the bottom 3. Hughton is a pragmatist first and foremost. He seems to do what needs to be done first and foremost, then thinks about improving from a position of relative security.

With that in mind, I hope our fans aren't on his back next season if we do make it to the top division.

I'm sure they will be. I can remember the moans and groans following the 0-0 at Cardiff away. We got a valuable point, but it wasn't enough for a lot of people.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm sure they will be. I can remember the moans and groans following the 0-0 at Cardiff away. We got a valuable point, but it wasn't enough for a lot of people.

But that is irrelevant really - as HKFC says, some of last season was dreadful. A draw at Cardiff wasn't much good when we'd pitch up at Rotherham and lose pitifully. And it was looking dodgy for a while at the end there, especially if Millwall had looked even remotely like putting up a fight.

No, I'm talking about the people who will whine at tactics when the club is seriously punching above it's weight, as we would be if we were 15th in the top division (and as we are now, of course).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Don't wanna get ahead of myself but if we were to make it to the prem we'd need to be fairly cautious. Long, long way to go though... I think having 2 attacking wingers worked well Sat but did leave some space at the back tbh - I can see why we use Rosenior as a more defensive winger at times...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Completely agree. The reaction from some on here was ludicrous. The last thing we needed in the summer was to change manager again (and that's not hindsight speaking). Luckily the board have more sense than some of our fans and backed Hughton and we can now see the results.

As you say though, I don't think anyone could have even hoped for what has happened. It's unbelievable to be 18 league games unbeaten!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
[QUOTE said:
BensGrandad;7171454]At Ipswich we lost 2-0 and started with Baldock and CMS up front with Holla and Ince at the back and held them as our front two forced them back into their own box but then unexplicably Hypia took CMS , I think it was, off and this allowed them to push forward. At the time it was a choice of 2 either CH still had a house near Norwich and was just taking in a game or he possibly saw a vacancy coming up in the near future with us. We were in 2 minds but happy to have the latter.

Whether he takes us up this year or not he has done the job as against all expectation he kept us up last season and managed a great turn around this season
.[/QUOTE]

BG I have no idea whether Chris was at that match or not. He possibly was but I can assure you he no longer had a house in Norwich then. Chris never owned a house in Norwich, he only rented a place there while he was manager up there.

As for the actual theme of this thread, I don't think I even need to say where I stand as I always knew he would do well; however, even I did not forsee him doing as well as he has this season. I thought he was going to need 3 transfer windows to get into this position so he has exceeded my expectations to date and I was one of his biggest supporters on here.

I would also just say I met TB for the first time at the weekend and he is such a nice genuine and friendly bloke and he was so genuinely proud of the way the team has performed this year.

I have met quite a few Chairman of football clubs and he seemed to be one of the most approachable I have come across. I know it's easy to say that as things are going well at the moment but he did truly strike as a really nice bloke.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
No, I'm talking about the people who will whine at tactics when the club is seriously punching above it's weight, as we would be if we were 15th in the top division (and as we are now, of course).

Unfortunately they will do should we find ourselves there - I believe this happened with a previous Albion manager when we were last in the top flight.
Not from me, cautious football and only winning by one goal doesn't bother me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here