Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New Games Console Recommendations Please

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
PS4 is seen, by those that don't know better, as a more "serious" gamer's console, whilst Xbox One is better at the multi-media stuff
Fixed.

The PS4 often gives higher resolution, but I doubt many would notice in a proper test.

The Xbox live system generally works better, with less downtime etc.

Purely as a games system, I prefer the Xbox, but each to their own.

Papa Laz - you have a PS3 and X360, which controller did you prefer? Go for the latest release of the one you liked most.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you can pay monthly, but the £40 is the annual fee which works out cheaper.
I just bought a 12 month renewal for under £20. It's £40 is you don't ever by it when it's on sale.

And you get free games with the service too (same for both consoles).

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Whatever you or your sons friends predominantly have, failing that what exclusives are preferred (i.e Forza and Halo versus Gran Turismo and Uncharted) failing that what controller out of the PS3 and 360 you prefer.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Fixed.

The PS4 often gives higher resolution, but I doubt many would notice in a proper test.

The Xbox live system generally works better, with less downtime etc.

Purely as a games system, I prefer the Xbox, but each to their own.

Papa Laz - you have a PS3 and X360, which controller did you prefer? Go for the latest release of the one you liked most.

I don't think I've ever used the XBox, my son does. I only use the PS4, especially as it doubles as a blu ray players.

I must admit I have a preference for PS4.... but without having used the XBox, it's hardly one based upon all the facts!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Star Wars Battlefront looks amazing though.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I ordered a PS4 a few days ago (with Star Wars Battlefront), and have been regularly soiling myself ever since for the damn thing to arrive so I can get stuck in. With Unchartered being an exclusive, that made it a no brainer.

Am I right in thinking the Xbox doesn't have a blu-ray player ? That's always a BIG factor for me, I use that a lot on my PS3.

Yup, I gather there's a £40 connection fee on the PS4 - is that a one-off fee, or do you have to pay a subscription ?

I don't bother playing online anyway. I'm quite happy to play games on me billy, I don't feel the urge to get given the runaround from some spotty 14 year old virgin who hasn't left his bedroom since April.

I was talking to a chap at work about SWBF and he reckons the single player isn't much kop. I don't play online either so it's put me off TBH.

PS4 BTW

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
I ordered a PS4 a few days ago (with Star Wars Battlefront), and have been regularly soiling myself ever since for the damn thing to arrive so I can get stuck in. With Unchartered being an exclusive, that made it a no brainer.

Am I right in thinking the Xbox doesn't have a blu-ray player ? That's always a BIG factor for me, I use that a lot on my PS3.

XBOX ONE has Blu-ray yes, i currently have Wii U, XBOX ONE and PS4, apart from a few exclusive titles on the PS4, i prefer my XBOX ONE, connect is a winner for me, ps4 camera is a cheap rip off and not as good. But if you are into streaming your games, the PS4 is better.

It really does depend on the user, your friends and games you play.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think I've ever used the XBox, my son does. I only use the PS4
You mean the PS3, right?
especially as it doubles as a blu ray players.
I've not tried Bluray on the PS4, but it's good on the Xbox. One good thing about the Xbox is that it's practically silent, which is a huge improvement from my old 360 which sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

I must admit I have a preference for PS4.... but without having used the XBox, it's hardly one based upon all the facts!
There's nothing wrong with the PS4, you won't be missing out with that, unless you like the Xbox exclusives. What games do you play?

Personally I like the thumbsticks being higher up the controller than they are on the DS, so I always prefer the Xbox controllers.

I'm loving it. Put about 40 hours in :blush:

Looks, yes. Plays, not so much.
Mad cus bad.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I was talking to a chap at work about SWBF and he reckons the single player isn't much kop. I don't play online either so it's put me off TBH.

PS4 BTW

There is no single player at all (you can play multiplayer offline with bots) and it seems that the game is very light on content in general, but there are a number of 'paid' expansions coming out. From what I can tell it does look good and plays well though (despite not having the depth of a full on Battlefield game).

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Mad cus bad.

:shrug: I expect a game as well as a multiplayer experience for £40+. Expansion packs are a part of all modern day games, but I do expect the game to be big enough without them. That is not the case with Battlefront, sadly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:shrug: I expect a game as well as a multiplayer experience for £40+
You want the impossible. Personally, I'm happy to judge each game on its merits. I don't buy COD or Battlefield for their single player games, and the same is the case with Battlefront.
Expansion packs are a part of all modern day games, but I do expect the game to be big enough without them. That is not the case with Battlefront, sadly.
I disagree, I'm finding it is enough. I loved COD MW3 - I played a fair bit of survival (as in Battlefront) before I went online, where I only really played TDM - there were plenty of maps, but they were small and there wasn't much to the game. Battlefront has a lot more than that, and it's all new, whereas COD is just a new skin every 12 months.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
You want the impossible. Personally, I'm happy to judge each game on its merits. I don't buy COD or Battlefield for their single player games, and the same is the case with Battlefront.
I disagree, I'm finding it is enough. I loved COD MW3 - I played a fair bit of survival (as in Battlefront) before I went online, where I only really played TDM - there were plenty of maps, but they were small and there wasn't much to the game. Battlefront has a lot more than that, and it's all new, whereas COD is just a new skin every 12 months.

But from a single player viewpoint, I would have to say that the campaign on BO3 this year was very enjoyable, add to this Zombies and as always the Multiplayer and there really is a lot of game for your money. For some reason everyone hates COD now though?
I played a little of Battlefront at a mates and not being a massive Star Wars fanboy, quickly came to the decision there simply wasn't enough game in it. (It's pretty though!) He is a massive Star Wars fan and even he warned me off it. Side note - since last weekend he's bought Tomb Raider and not returned to battlefront.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Battlefront is decent, but I'm already looking forward to the new maps coming out next week.

Not enough guns for my liking, however I find it easier to just pick up and play than something like COD

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For some reason everyone hates COD now though?
I loved MW3 and bought Ghosts on release day, but it simply wasn't good enough. COD lives and dies on its netcode, and there was too much lag. There are lag issues with Battlefield too, but it's a different game and since it's not all about one-on-ones the lag isn't as critical.

I played a little of Battlefront at a mates and not being a massive Star Wars fanboy, quickly came to the decision there simply wasn't enough game in it.
You're not alone in the thinking. With the vehicles though I find there's more going on than in COD.

Side note - since last weekend he's bought Tomb Raider and not returned to battlefront.
I loved the last Tomb Raider, and will get this one when it's on sale some time.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Tomb Raider is an exclusive to xbox one for the first 12 months on release?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Both are excellent.

Its really down to what games you like, and maybe what your sons mates have in terms of playing them online.

For me there really isnt a wrong choice.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Both are excellent.

Its really down to what games you like, and maybe what your sons mates have in terms of playing them online.

For me there really isnt a wrong choice.

I've spoken to him about it, and he's not sure which. Kids today - spoilt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here