Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the latest you have arrived for a game.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I will lay claim to the longest delay while still making
Having arrived at Heathrow for a take off 8 hours before kick for England/Germany in Charleroi, air traffic was down in west Drayton and we spend 6 hours in the plane, on the Tarmac....Over 100 then got off & left to watch on telly. 10 mins later, The police got on, sensed the unease & demanded we took off which we did, got a £70 cab from Brussels, arrived midway they first half, Shearer banged in the winner to make it all worthwhile

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Was that the game with a few penalties or am I getting them mixed up as I had resigned from Surrey FA by 2002.

The game with 5 pens (4 for Palace who only scored 1, we scored the penalty given to us) finished 2-1 to Palace and was played in March 1989.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
About 25 mins on the the day of the Shoreham Air show disaster, as I got stuck in traffic around Lancing. My dad left my ST at the turnstile so I was still able to get in. Safe to say that was one day I was just grateful I got to the game at all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Woking away in the FA Cup, got caught in traffic and missed the start. I scuttled out onto the terrace just as a big roar went up, so I started jumping around celebrating...until I realised nobody around me was doing the same. Woking had just scored.

:facepalm:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember setting off for a game over Easter (Portsmouth, I think). I'd gone down the path and my dad called me back to tell me that it had been a lunchtime kick-off and the game was over:dunce:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Arrived at half time for a game at Gillingham. Can't remember why...Leon knight penalty 0-1 Albion. Fight on way back to car with local inbreds.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Oh yeah, drove to Burnley for a Tuesday night game arrived to find turf moor in darkness. The game was at withdean.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Forest 86/87 in League Cup. Arrived in second half due to coach breaking down on motorway & lost 3-0.

Missed Forest in the League Cup in 1978. Stuck on train at Corby Station. We lost 3-1. I think there were three charter trains and only one got to the game. If I remember rightly, BR paid for a screening of the game at Hove town hall together with free trip to Charlton (which we won 3-0).

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
half way through the first half at the Goldstone playing Wimbledon mid 80's

was in the bookies with my brother prior to the match,he won about 500 quid on the gee gees,so understandably we hung about

on arrival was imformed Wimbledon were 1 up and murdering us,which they were up until half time

anyhow we ended up winning 2-1,seem to remember a Frank Worthington free kick,coming back off the bar and hitting Dave Beasant on the back of the head and going in

WHL '78 too,missed the kick off,but can't remember by how long

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Missed Forest in the League Cup in 1978. Stuck on train at Corby Station. We lost 3-1. I think there were three charter trains and only one got to the game.

That's a game I did get to on time despite our car breaking down on the motorway. Hitched a lift to Nottingham (with Jamie Baker, the then-Argus reporter). Had to walk around the coach park after the game to see if any of the coaches had a spare place; amazingly, one did

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Have only been really late for one and that was at home!!!

Not sure what season but we were due to play our last game v Ipswich and the match was brought forward from 3pm to 1pm. I knew that and was telling everyone to remember, even on the morning of the match.
Then at 1.30 was at home eating my lunch when I jumped up and said "****ing hell, the match started half an hour ago."
Luckily I live in Westdene so got there before half time, to much hilarity from the regulars who sat around us.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Away at Chester City for a Saturday afternoon game in October 1997. Drove to the game and when I arrived in the city the traffic was gridlocked (for no apparent reason). I eventually got into the stadium at about 4:15pm (it was so late that the turnstiles were closed; I had to find a steward who opened a gate to let me in). Albion lost 2-0 and we had that fine footballer Valur Gislason playing for us. Cracking day all round.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Missed first half of Scarborough game due to Friday night traffic, after work, on a Bank Holiday week end, as if people living in Brighton don't know about Bank Holiday traffic. Arrived at the Goldstone to watch Newcastle unfortunately every one else was at St James Park! Well apart from Roy so we went on the lash. Also got to Rochdale to find out it was cancelled due to snow, had chips went home.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't remember ever being late, except the first game of the season away to Swansea,

We were caught up on the M4, we arrived about 15-20 minutes late.
I told the chaps I'd drive them to the away end, then find somewhere to park.

I pulled up and directly in front of the turnstile was a parking space, I assume it was where a police car was.
I was so close, to this day, only my right foot has ever stood on non football Swansea soil.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Yeah I did something similar when we played Luton, must have been about 2004 and I was working away a lot. To cut a long story short I arrived at the ground only to find out the match had been played the day before, luckily I was staying reasonably close but I was pretty pissed off at the time.

We drove to Anfield fo a game and due to problems on the M6 had to do a detour and arrived at in time to see Brian Horton score a consolation goal in the last few minutes of 4-1 defeat.

Once went to Brentford on a Wed night on my way home from a trip up north to watch a cup replay and Griifin Park was in darkness and found out it was played on Tuesday and the paper I picked up ina cafe was yesterdays.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Cambridge away.

Managed to get to the train station in London just before the train to Cambridge was due to leave so just managed to climb on (very full and not a lot of space left) thinking how lucky we were and that we would have extra time in the pub first.

The train left moments later and then stopped at the first station but the doors wouldn't open, it left without the people in the carriage who wanted to being able to get off. Get to the 2nd station and the same thing again, the doors wouldn't open, so someone pulls the emergency door release / alarm to be able to disembark.

Eventually the driver or the conductor make their way down, get told what happened and say that we will be off again shortly, but they were unable to get the train moving so eventually an announcement was made to leave the train, cross the bridge to the other platform and to catch another train to the previous station and catch a train that was behind us which could then overtake the stranded train and get us to our destination.

We follow the instructions, get on the train that we would have originally caught if we hadn't arrived in time to catch this earlier one and it travels up the line until it gets close to the station we had just left when they announced that we were stuck because a train had broken down ahead and we had to wait for it to clear first (our original train)

We eventually arrived at the ground some time after the second half had started.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Home game would be the first of the season this season when i tried to gain entry into the ground about 30 minutes before kick off to find that my ST wouldn't work and had to go to the ticket office to get it replaced

Unfortunately there was a massive queue of people with ticketing issues and i eventually got a replacement card and into the ground about 15 minutes after the game started

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Generally Im there for KO and on the odd occasion a min or two. I think the latest would have been the Wigan and Derby home games last season where I got to the ground about 15 mins into the game. Probably an omen as we won those two as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here