Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] It's Friday. It's nighttime. You know what to do.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
drinking-alcohol-funny-animal-picture-for-whatsapp.jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
All the draught comes from Burton. Bottles should still be from Rock (is that where it is ?). That is what I read.

Yes, Rock in Cornwall is the home of Sharp's brewery.

What you say makes perfect sense, because draught Doom Bar has disappeared from many Cornish pubs, but bottled Doom Bar is still readily available.

Sell out to a multi-national and this is what so often happens, they start catering for the lowest common denominator, and the recipe gets compromised.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You are all so wrong about Doom Bar.
Its a victim of its own success though.
Still readily available in the south west.
All bottles are brewed in Burton.
All draught is brewed in Rock, but Rock is a small brewery that used to brew enough and store it in barrels inside, but so much is brewed now that a lot is stored outside.
Get an inside barrel and its delicious, very creamy, get an outside barrel and its is, unfortunately totally different.
Had a couple of pints at the Navy pub on the Barbican in Plymouth last week and it was obviously an inside barrel.
The landlords ability to keep it properly helps as well.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Leffe Blonde

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You are all so wrong about Doom Bar.
Its a victim of its own success though.
Still readily available in the south west.
All bottles are brewed in Burton.
All draught is brewed in Rock, but Rock is a small brewery that used to brew enough and store it in barrels inside, but so much is brewed now that a lot is stored outside.
Get an inside barrel and its delicious, very creamy, get an outside barrel and its is, unfortunately totally different.
Had a couple of pints at the Navy pub on the Barbican in Plymouth last week and it was obviously an inside barrel.
The landlords ability to keep it properly helps as well.

Well, as a local l will take your word for it. I spend a few weekends a year in Cornwall, and certainly many of the pubs that I use down there, no longer stock Doom Bar on draught, and only by bottle, although up until only two or three years ago,draught was much more readily available.

Betty Stogs seems to be the fashionable beer in Cornwall now.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
After many years of drinking wines from all over the world, we have really discovered English wine. Denbeigh's Surrey gold, which is M&S white lily is absolutely fabulous wine as is their Bacchus. Chapel down Bacchus is also excellent. Ridgeview sparkling is better than a lot of French champagne too.

Just half way through a bottle of Bacchus!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
After many years of drinking wines from all over the world, we have really discovered English wine. Denbeigh's Surrey gold, which is M&S white lily is absolutely fabulous wine as is their Bacchus. Chapel down Bacchus is also excellent. Ridgeview sparkling is better than a lot of French champagne too.

I'm pleased. Do you remember the debate we had here about English wine (Me: for; you: against)?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm pleased. Do you remember the debate we had here about English wine (Me: for; you: against)?

Absolutely...the older I have got the wiser I have become.

Apart from falling out of love with football unfortunately, but discovering really good English wine has mad up for it. Trouble is my dad many years ago used to give us warm English sweet wine which was horrible...as most warm white wine is

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Here we go [MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION]. From 10 years ago, when I recommended Ridgeview to you and you thought English wine was "distilled vinegar" and "all horrible"!

not surprised.

English wine is distilled vinegar

The generalisation that all British wine is shit is a myth and belongs sometime back in the 70s.

In Your Humble Opinion?

IMHO its all horrible.

M&S Do a Cape Wine...£8.99 reduced to £3.99 a bottle..Chardonnay...Lovelly!!!

i agree with Simster, french and Italian wine has been taken over by "new world" wine and is overprived pretentious muck.

You could do a lot worse than the Ridgeview Sparkling:

http://www.ridgeview.co.uk/htmls/Press Release Yarden July05 Mardi.htm

and it's from Sussex too.

Thread: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?63478-Italian-PM-has-a-pop-at-British-wine

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Absolutely...the older I have got the wiser I have become.

Apart from falling out of love with football unfortunately, but discovering really good English wine has mad up for it. Trouble is my dad many years ago used to give us warm English sweet wine which was horrible...as most warm white wine is

Oh, absolutely - there's not too many years between us and I was taught that English wine was rubbish by my parents too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here