Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkish Fans & minutes Silence in Instanbal

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No maybe I didn't on my phone and sometimes can't be arsed to go past the adverts, sorry for my laziness, but that ariticle. Is still incorrect as the sun accused millwall of singing seig and from what I remember they put a small ariticle in the paper a few days later apologising. I could be wrong but how I remember it.

You are wrong. It was definitely Brighton fans singing Seagull which was mistaken for Seig Heil.

http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/Press_Coverage5.htm
An incredible story published in The Sun on 14th December 2004. Race chants and Sieg Heils ran the banner headline.
Raymond Enisuoh, 'Sports Editor' of The New Nation was sent to the New Den to do an hatchet job and the only thing to suffer was his own ridiculous reputation. Of course the Irony of a man who writes for a Black Newspaper seeing racism in 'White Only' gatherings was lost on Raymond. To somehow confuse chants from Brighton Fans of "Seagulls, Seagulls" with "Sieg Heils" from Millwall fans takes a special intellect, special needs. So the winner of the Thickie of 2004 award goes to Raymond Enisuoh!

First time I've heard the corner theory?! I'd assume he was commenting on the constant arm movement of the 'seagulls' chant rather than one specific incident of a corner?!

We won several corners.

albionite

May 20, 2009
You are wrong. It was definitely Brighton fans singing Seagull which was mistaken for Seig Heil.

An incredible story published in The Sun on 14th December 2004. Race chants and Sieg Heils ran the banner headline.
Raymond Enisuoh, 'Sports Editor' of The New Nation was sent to the New Den to do an hatchet job and the only thing to suffer was his own ridiculous reputation. Of course the Irony of a man who writes for a Black Newspaper seeing racism in 'White Only' gatherings was lost on Raymond. To somehow confuse chants from Brighton Fans of "Seagulls, Seagulls" with "Sieg Heils" from Millwall fans takes a special intellect, special needs. So the winner of the Thickie of 2004 award goes to Raymond Enisuoh!

We won several corners.

Yes I know it was Brighton fans singing but the journalist accused millwall fans singing it

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

We won several corners.

And pointed at the corner flag each time :lol: Not important tbh but pretty sure it would've been the 'seagulls' chant coupled with the arm movement that he suggested was nazi salutes :)

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Pretty despicable by the Turks. You'd think they could put religion to one side for a minute just to acknowledge the atrocity on a human level, but no. Even that small gesture is too much for them. By boo'ing the minutes silence, they are in effect endorsing what happened on Friday.

Yeah a small percentage of 'Muslims' endorse terrorism, so Im actually surprised that 20,000 odd in the stadium actually boo'd during the minutes silence. How can they find what happened worthy of being mocked and boo'd? Its madness.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Turkish.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
According to a Turkish colleague whats is probably being chanted is “sehitler olmez, vatan bolunmez” Which means something like “martyrs do not die they are immortal, our land is undefeatable.” which refers to turkish people who are killed in similar circumstances, so for instance when Turks have been killed by the PKK and after the recent suicide bombings in Turkey this is the response.
Before I posted I googled, and found it on reddit. This was the 'best' answer:

Actually, they're chanting "Sehitler olmez, vatan bolunmez."
Which means "Martyrs never die, the nation won't be divided."

This is a common slogan thrown in remembrance of Turkish soldiers who fell victim to terrorism. In Turkey, there is rarely a minute of silence that isn't interrupted by this chant. Whether its a minute of silence for a Turkish catastrophe, or something else that happened globally, this always happens.

I'm a Turk who is pretty critical of Turkey and Turks, but I don't think this is an intentional move against France. I don't think there is any malice here.

EDIT: I have now seen videos where the fans are clearly booing and whistling before they begin chanting Allahu Akhbar. I've also read Turkish newspaper articles corroborating these facts. The comments above are obviously made before I was aware of these facts. What has happened is extremely disgusting and unacceptable. I am, once again, heart broken by the ignorance of some of my own people.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Err Buzzer, My Arabic is pretty much non existent, but the line on the bottom is completely different to their actual flag:
ISIS-in-Afghanistan2-NBC.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if is says something condemning ISIL. Remember similar looking flag at the Notting Hill Carnival last year causing a stir too?

my arabic is poor also,but i think lower line is

Goat Appreciation Division

i might be mistaken though

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Which was what I said.

No, you said we were pointing at the corner flag appealing for a corner while chanting seagulls - I suggested it was probably more every time we sing seagulls the movement is point to the sky/pitch as per tradition?!

'He accused us that the Seagulls chant was Seig Heil and that we were giving the nazi salute at the same time, when we were actually pointing at the corner flag because we'd won a corner. I was at that game, so I know what happened when. '

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, you said we were pointing at the corner flag appealing for a corner while chanting seagulls - I suggested it was probably more every time we sing seagulls the movement is point to the sky/pitch as per tradition?!

'He accused us that the Seagulls chant was Seig Heil and that we were giving the nazi salute at the same time, when we were actually pointing at the corner flag because we'd won a corner. I was at that game, so I know what happened when. '

You misread how I wrote it. I didn't say we were APPEALING for a corner. WHEN we win a corner we point our arms and chant seagulls.

It's not that important Sheebs.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You misread how I wrote it. I didn't say we were APPEALING for a corner. WHEN we win a corner we point our arms and chant seagulls.

It's not that important Sheebs.

OK sorry x

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let's not get too high on our horses here. It wasn't too long ago that English fans also couldn't be trusted with a minutes silence so we had the ridiculous minutes applause instead.

I'm not condoning what went on. More not wanting to not judge a nation by it's idiotic football supporters.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Let's not get too high on our horses here. It wasn't too long ago that English fans also couldn't be trusted with a minutes silence so we had the ridiculous minutes applause instead.

I'm not condoning what went on. More not wanting to not judge a nation by it's idiotic football supporters.

You're ruining a perfectly good witch hunt with such comments. Disappear!! ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here