Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will England fans really sing the French national anthem tomorrow?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The important thing at stake here is for the FA to get NSCs blessing ahead of tomorrow.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We? You're Reading anyway. The first friendly in Le Havre happened two days after the London tube bombings. Found the locals particularly friendly probably as a result of the atrocities.
I would struggle to sing the Marseillaise as I can't sing anyway but prefer to be in Dieppe, Le Touquet or even Calais than Reading.

The French were going to cancel the Le Havre game, but when they heard that we were already travelling, they went ahead with it. As you said, they were very friendly and helpful to us, laying on buses to the stadium and generally welcoming.

I love going to France every summer for our hols.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We? You're Reading anyway. The first friendly in Le Havre happened two days after the London tube bombings. Found the locals particularly friendly probably as a result of the atrocities.
I would struggle to sing the Marseillaise as I can't sing anyway but prefer to be in Dieppe, Le Touquet or even Calais than Reading.
Reading????
I prefer reading to Brighton....what's your point?
If you want to sing the froggy anthem then so be it:glare:

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
We've fought two world wars on the same side. What more do you want. I feel more French than American or Australian.
That's got to be one of your more idiotic posts , forget the Americans but the Australians ? We share so many ties it's ridiculous, from a common language, system of government , family ties the commonwealth and not forgetting they were there for us when it mattered , the French ? Our Gallic "friends" sold Exocets to Argentina during the Falklands war, I'd sing the Marseillaise tomorrow , but thinking that we're some sort of European fraternity ? Get your head out of your Arse.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
(1) The original idea was suggested by numerous British/ English people, which rather pisses on your suggestion (hope?) that nobody will participate.

(2) Presumably you'd rather home fans belted out "If it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts" instead.

Can you honestly not see, in a situation like last Friday's, why people in the UK (and elsewhere) might suddenly find themselves feeling a little closer to those who've suffered? How tragedy often makes us realise what we have in common as human beings, rather than what divides us? I believe, if the situation were reversed, and England were playing in Paris after such a catastrophe in London, just as many French people would be reaching out to offer sympathy, and to show solidarity in the face of such horror. France and Germany have plenty of history, yet I saw Berliners standing to respect a minute's silence today.

For what it's worth, God Save The Queen- in my opinion- is an absolute dirge compared to La Marseillaise (one of the world's classic national anthems), and it wouldn't seem nearly so appropriate under the circumstances.
This pisses on your suggestion...
French sing the French national anthem
English sing the English national anthem

Comparing each national anthem is just pathetic full stop:mad:

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
I have been to a France England friendly in Paris. The most impressive part of the night was when the French belted out their anthem. I was actually jealous, it puts our GSTQ in the shade I'm afraid.
If this doesn't stir you, then there is something wrong.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Applause after their anthem, but to sing it just isn't needed. We feel their pain...

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I was in Alicante for the game on Friday, will be at Wembley tomorrow night and fully intend to be in France for the Euros next summer. I've had some great times in France and have several French colleagues and friends, so yes - I will do my best to join in with La Marseillaise tomorrow evening even though my French is patchy, at best. We have to send a message to these psychopaths that they will not dictate the way we live our lives. There's a brilliant piece in the Independent today by Kevin Garside which sums up my thoughts perfectly (apologies if it's already been mentioned)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/england-vs-france-a-perfect-match-to-express-the-liberal-west-s-defiance-a6735586.html

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Not talking about wars though are we?
You saying we love the French then?

I do. Always known French folk, loved the country too.

You see, grown ups tend not to observe the protocols of your prejudice.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I was in Alicante for the game on Friday, will be at Wembley tomorrow night and fully intend to be in France for the Euros next summer. I've had some great times in France and have several French colleagues and friends, so yes - I will do my best to join in with La Marseillaise tomorrow evening even though my French is patchy, at best. We have to send a message to these psychopaths that they will not dictate the way we live our lives. There's a brilliant piece in the Independent today by Kevin Garside which sums up my thoughts perfectly (apologies if it's already been mentioned)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/england-vs-france-a-perfect-match-to-express-the-liberal-west-s-defiance-a6735586.html

Im going tomorrow very sad indeed I will observe the minutes silence but won t be singing there national anthem.also my minute s silence will be for all the people who have suffered at the hands of the terrorists where the countrys are not as high profile as france which get forgotten about.As they deserve the same.up the 3 lions

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Maybe the Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: band could play it ???

They supported the UK competitor in this year's Bocuse D'or (culinary olympics) in Lyons and tooted out a fair rendition of Le Marseillaise in honour of the hosts. Made a nice change from Colonel Bogey.
Hopefully they'll give it a miss tomorrow though. Decorum and all that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If this doesn't stir you, then there is something wrong.

I was thinking that @<a href="http://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=16168" target="_blank">Elvis</a> post was strange too. Our national anthem is fantastic and easy to belt out. Don't get that comment at all!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why are people bashing our anthem? I like it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here