Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will England fans really sing the French national anthem tomorrow?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Don't recall much when 7/7 happened here???
Togetherness can be done in many ways,but singing their national anthem is just bloody ridiculous.
I also don't recall an England vs France football match days afterwards in Paris either so I don't think a direct comparison works but I'm willing to be proven wrong on that one. Regardless, it shouldn't matter whether they did something for 7/7 or not should it?

Genuine question, if it was 'Imagine' (or something) being sung rather than a national anthem would you still have an issue with it? If not, why not?

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
If this is one way to show the french people our support and solidarity at this difficult time then absolutely I will sing it.

Don't see why it should be seen as anything other than a true gesture of friendship TBH but then I guess others are entitled to a different view.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
If this is one way to show the french people our support and solidarity at this difficult time then absolutely I will sing it.

Don't see why it should be seen as anything other than a true gesture of friendship TBH but then I guess others are entitled to a different view.
The way things are going in this country it seems most would do what they're told to do by the media.If that's what floats your boat then fair enough though.
Britain and France as a friendship seems unlikely but not impossible.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
On that same day as the Paris terrorist attacks, there was also an earthquake in Japan, a funeral bombed in Baghdad, a suicide bombing in Beirut and an Earthquake in Mexico.

What a sad day world wide. Though I'm not against the English singing the French national anthem. I hope we all pay our respects for everyone that day. A minutes silence will mean a lot.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I'm not here to stoke the fire as what happened in France really was heartbreaking:down:
But...would you sing the French national anthem tomorrow considering France are a country we've never really seen eye to eye with?
Would the French sing God save the queen?

obviously all the talk at work today was about the attacks in Paris,so I likened it to the Birmingham pub bombings albeit on a smaller scale,but the idea the same

the french generally have a sympathy with the Irish without fully understanding the complexities,let's just say it's a catholic thing

back then it wouldn't have made a ripple,but times have changed

today,I think the french would sing God Save The Queen

the goalposts have moved

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
If we're generally talking about a friendship between the UK and France, then I wouldn't describe it as good. The Mayor of Calais doesn't appear to like us very much, and the President has been less than supportive re the UK's attempts to renegotiate our membership of Europe.

I would show solidarity with the French, but would not want to sing their National Anthem.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Speak for yourself about one of the UK's most distinguished wartime allies, troll.

Not to mention that the Marseillaise is, IMHO, the greatest national anthem of the lot bar none: rousing tune, feistily defiant lyrics. So after everything that's happened it deserves to be roared out by anyone and everyone at Wembley tomorrow.

A bit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTsg9i6lvqU
I bought a french army rifle on ebay the other day, great value, never been fired , only dropped once :lolol:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I also don't recall an England vs France football match days afterwards in Paris either so I don't think a direct comparison works but I'm willing to be proven wrong on that one. Regardless, it shouldn't matter whether they did something for 7/7 or not should it?

Genuine question, if it was 'Imagine' (or something) being sung rather than a national anthem would you still have an issue with it? If not, why not?

No problems at all with the French national anthem, no problems with France for that matter. Lovely place. But if anyone was going to suggest we sang some derivative old tripe written by an over-rated and deeply unpleasant pop singer during his 'pimply 14-year-old' period then I most certainly would have an issue.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

My point was that we as a country are not liked by most in Europe as it is and I personally don't think most if not all would give to shites if we lost lives here.
I personally don't think the British public should sing the French national anthem or any other national anthem come to think of it.
National anthems are to be sung by your nationals and nobody else full stop...Singing the French anthem should never have been mentioned as you could do a thousand other things instead.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I bought a french army rifle on ebay the other day, great value, never been fired , only dropped once :lolol:

The most ridiculous thing about these flippant jokes, is that the entire BEF ran with them, in fact if it hadn't been for the bravery of French units, Dunkirk would not have unfolded like it did.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I have been to a France England friendly in Paris. The most impressive part of the night was when the French belted out their anthem. I was actually jealous, it puts our GSTQ in the shade I'm afraid.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
obviously all the talk at work today was about the attacks in Paris,so I likened it to the Birmingham pub bombings albeit on a smaller scale,but the idea the same

the french generally have a sympathy with the Irish without fully understanding the complexities,let's just say it's a catholic thing

back then it wouldn't have made a ripple,but times have changed

today,I think the french would sing God Save The Queen

the goalposts have moved
You actually think they would sing our anthem....no country would I'm sure of that.
Hope I'm proved wrong one day though :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My point was that we as a country are not liked by most in Europe as it is and I personally don't think most if not all would give to shites if we lost lives here.
I personally don't think the British public should sing the French national anthem or any other national anthem come to think of it.
National anthems are to be sung by your nationals and nobody else full stop...Singing the French anthem should never have been mentioned as you could do a thousand other things instead.

National anthems are a load of old cobblers evoking nationalist old claptrap like you're spouting. God Save the Queen, pah, whiny old death march, give me the Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, Flower of Scotland or La Marseillaise anyday of the week! British public can sing any old national anthem they bloody well please, if anyone wants to sing La Marseillaise then good for them, if people don't, up to them. You seem to be the one who wants to prescribe what people should and shouldn't be doing in their spare time at a sporting occasion.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Not to mention that the Marseillaise is, IMHO, the greatest national anthem of the lot bar none: rousing tune, feistily defiant lyrics. So after everything that's happened it deserves to be roared out by anyone and everyone at Wembley tomorrow.

Quite.

As an aside - my son played a season for London French rugby - wearing the red, white, and blue, and when they got to some final was delighted to sing (well hum anyway) La Marseillaise. With hand over his heart.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'm not here to stoke the fire as what happened in France really was heartbreaking:down:
But...would you sing the French national anthem tomorrow considering France are a country we've never really seen eye to eye with?
Would the French sing God save the queen?

At times as this I'd sing (okay hum) any nations anthem, in support. Yes, we've had a few hiccups with the French, but generally I have always found French people amusing, jolly and respectful. It's a great country, and for me Paris is head and shoulders in front of any other capital as to where I'd choose to spend my time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here