Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England U21 v Switzerland Under 21 ** Official Match Thread **

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ah good, you're back to spouting nonsense.

March was denied service all night by both our right back who must have been the worst player I've seen in international colours by a considerable distance and by Loftus-Cheek who just refused to pass to Solly and made a point of moving to where he'd been playing when Solly went off.

TBH anyone could have been subbed. For 80 minutes we were awful. Second to the ball, ponderous at the back and playing the ball backwards more than the Albion ever did under Gus. We looked terrific in the last ten, not because Akpom and Watmore are such great players but because they're direct and have movement, something lacking from our forwards up to that point.

Wins a win but Southgate's a lucky manager rather than a good one.

Southgate's post-match take was that all England's ponderous possession football tired the opposition out, leaving them vulnerable to our late surge. Everybody else saw a lucky penalty - very little contact, if any - and a deflected winner. Chalobah was left for dead at Switzerland's goal and the England keeper should have been sent off for his assault on their goalscorer. Loftus-Cheek was astonishingly poor.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I think we have an issue in this country about playing keep ball football, when we went more direct we looked better. Agree about the wrong tactics though, also I think Solly is better out left anyway, he has no right foot so always comes in on his left. Agree regarding right back, awful and that Chelsea cheeky or what ever his name was, just posed around thinking he was some super star, you ain't mate, got loads to learn. Enjoyed seeing all the kids there last night and some at their first ever game. But oh that bloody band, please never at a Brighton game. You get a good atmosphere playing good football and winning, not banging a drum or blowing a trombone.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
The entire England back four looked dodgy last night, the right back Iorfa looked rather dog shit by all accounts. Swiss scored against the run of play at the end of the first half, over all deserved win by England

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
That right back was a TERRIBLE footballer. Can't say any of the side, apart from Watmore obviously, really stood out. I think March did okay but playing right wing with that right back behind you must have been a horrible experience. Ruben Loftus-Cheek at ome point towards the end of the match, instead of trying to go round his man, attempted to run through him, literally.

Me and my pals main thoughts were that if the players that should still be playing in that side and not in the full squad were there the whole thing would be a lot more advantageous for all concerned.

Can anyone be bothered to find a list of those players that are still u21 eligible but are stepping up to the full squad? I can't.

All the kids looked like they enjoyed it, that's the main thing I suppose.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The entire England back four looked dodgy last night, the right back Iorfa looked rather dog shit by all accounts. Swiss scored against the run of play at the end of the first half, over all deserved win by England

I thought Targett at LB was pretty good. The Swiss scorer was very pacy, but for the most part, he dealt with him well. Targett was good at getting forward and getting crosses in.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River

Agreed....Lorfa was truly lazy. A bad sign at his age. Several times refused to overlap when most right backs would have sprinted forward. Must be better under 21's in the country than him in that position. The keep ball would have been ok if we had moved it forward at pace occasionally. That said, the Swiss sat back for much of the game. Their centre forward looked very odd when running. Like an even ganglier version of Peter Crouch. Only decent bit of play from him was 'that finish' after the whistle had gone.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm not sure if the cut off point is Jan 1st or the beginning of the season, but this is a list of the U21 squad in June 2015, which included Kane, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Redmond.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32807828

1st Jan '94, rules out Kane and the Ox, and a load of others that were mentioned as eligible elsewhere...

"Players are eligible for the 2017 UEFA European Under-21 Championship if they were born on, or after, 1 January 1994" from UEFA site

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That said, the Swiss sat back for much of the game. Their centre forward looked very odd when running. Like an even ganglier version of Peter Crouch. Only decent bit of play from him was 'that finish' after the whistle had gone.

I disagree: I thought he was quite decent; looked strong and held the ball up well - he was too isolated at times and started to look really frustrated at the lack of support. I don't know who he was but I reckoned he'd be very effective in a more ambitious team.

That brings me on to the one bum note of last night - the shockingly poor programme. Given the amount of money that sloshes around the FA, surely they could have found some professionals to put this together? It looked like it had been put together by a bunch of work experience kids. Pen portraits of home players but not away ones (the first programme I've ever seen do that). No league table of our qualifying group or list of forthcoming fixtures. No information on the match officials ... pathetic effort.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agreed....Lorfa was truly lazy. A bad sign at his age. Several times refused to overlap when most right backs would have sprinted forward. Must be better under 21's in the country than him in that position. The keep ball would have been ok if we had moved it forward at pace occasionally. That said, the Swiss sat back for much of the game. Their centre forward looked very odd when running. Like an even ganglier version of Peter Crouch. Only decent bit of play from him was 'that finish' after the whistle had gone.

Iorfa was DREADFUL. Lazy, poor touch and once got the ball with twenty yards of clear space in front of him and..........passed it backwards.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think Solly March will have to learn to kick with his right foot occasionally. His inability showed as a problem against the tenacious Swiss. I woiuld have swopped the wingers at half-time.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I disagree: I thought he was quite decent; looked strong and held the ball up well - he was too isolated at times and started to look really frustrated at the lack of support. I don't know who he was but I reckoned he'd be very effective in a more ambitious team.

That brings me on to the one bum note of last night - the shockingly poor programme. Given the amount of money that sloshes around the FA, surely they could have found some professionals to put this together? It looked like it had been put together by a bunch of work experience kids. Pen portraits of home players but not away ones (the first programme I've ever seen do that). No league table of our qualifying group or list of forthcoming fixtures. No information on the match officials ... pathetic effort.

Agree on both of these points. The programme was truly shocking, 'all' that for £3.50 -- makes you appreciate how good B&HA's is in comparison. I thought their CF not only had a good game, but looks a decent player -- it's a difficult role to play up-front on your own, but he had strength and mobility and he caused Chambers (a £15m defender) trouble throughout. Their best player was their no 8 -- Zakaira (sp?). Thought those two were good. Watmore did very well for England when he came on, Targett had a steady game. What struck me is that the u-21s hold on to the ball too long. Chief culprits there were Loftus-Cheek and Swift, both of whom had disappointing games, particularly the former given his sky-high reputation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here