Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watches

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just replaced my 15 year old Citizen eco-drive with another very similar. Solar powered, 18 times zones preloaded, waterproof and hard-wearing. Will keep the old one for rough stuff. Looked in duty free and in the US, but was a lot cheaper in a bog standard jewellers in Jersey when I was there recently. Been thinking about a Rolex or a Tag for a while but can't bring myself to splash that kind of cash. Left wrist, only wear a watch when I leave the house.

I won the watch that I wear in a competition on the Brightonfans forum. It's a Klaus Kobec limited edition (number 25) that celebrates England's participation in the 2002 World Cup. My reason for hanging on to it is simple. It keeps incredibly good time.

Oh ... left wrist and bedside table overnight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I presume the left wrist is because everyone is right handed?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wear a titanium Tissot PRC100 most days, pictured below.

left wrist. Not at night.

I have a LOT of others too, incluing Omegas, but this is the one I generally wear.

image.jpg

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
1965 Omega Chronostop, wear it daily, left wrist of course, take it off at night. Had it for the past ten years.

For holiday wear it's a TAG I bought 20 odd years ago, I know I can wear it in the pool and in the sea, wouldn't risk the Omega in that.

Would quite fancy a nice new watch, something like an Omega, but I can't justify the cost.

I love the omega Chronostop driver model. I've been looking recently to get one. Vintage watches are much more affordable. Currently wear an Omega Seamaster that I treated myself to from money my grandmother left me when she passed away. Ordinarily I wouldn't be able to afford it. I keep on looking at Enicar AR160, speed masters, Chronostop and also accutron space view for something different. Trying to build a nice collection over time.

Left wrist. In its box overnight. Am considering buying a watch winder also.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have a Citizen Eco-Drive Divers Watch. Nothing special price wise, but I like it, and it's solar powered. Right wrist, cos I'm left handed.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm assuming this thread was inspired by the 3 or 4 page spread on watches in today's Evening Standard?

I presume the left wrist is because everyone is right handed?

In days when watches had to be wound every day, you needed easy access to the winding mechanism. That worked best for right handed people wearing their watch on their left wrist.

What I don't understand is why this hasn't changed with battery operated watches that don't need daily attention. The only logical explanation is a complete failure to take into account the needs of left-handed people.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I've had a few Rolex, Omega and Seiko, but found the watch collecting a bit of an obsession so sold most of my collection. If you buy right it can be very profitable. Three decent ones left including a vintage Rolex that I wear most of the time.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Left Wrist and taken off at bed time.

I've travelled through most of my life wearing cheap watches that I replaced as needed - until my last birthday.

Now I have a really lovely watch from Nite- limited edition MX10 - that my wife bought me as a present. Small English maker who only sells online - and has some cracking watches in its range.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
In days when watches had to be wound every day, you needed easy access to the winding mechanism. That worked best for right handed people wearing their watch on their left wrist.

What I don't understand is why this hasn't changed with battery operated watches that don't need daily attention. The only logical explanation is a complete failure to take into account the needs of left-handed people.

Most people take off a watch to wind it, especially if it's a screw down crown. Most are worn on the left hand by right handed people simply because the watch is likely to get less damage if worn on the less active arm.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I feel naked without my watch - only ever take it off when I'm having a shower.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I like a classic (old-school?) look, and I have a Rotary Windsor watch very similar to this:-

RotaryWindsor.jpg

It is worn on the left wrist and always taken off at night.

But this reminds me; my dad always wore a watch, but with the face on the INSIDE of his wrist. Just looking it up on google, it is suggested that soldiers did/do this to avoid the chance of reflection off the face giving away their position to the enemy. My dad fought at the end of the Second World War and so I wonder if it was a habit picked up from his army days?

Does anyone else wear the face on the inside?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have no idea why people wear watches when they can look at their phone!? Just screams pen pusher to me

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I don't like to spend much on a watch, but I want both a digital display (which works better for telling you time) and traditional hands (which works better for telling you how long until blah blah)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have no idea why people wear watches when they can look at their phone!? Just screams pen pusher to me

If it helps I can put you in touch with a few mates of mine who all wear watches and swear they are better than phones for telling the time at work - they just happen to be Royal Marines, a Para and a Royal Engineer - they'll love to discuss being called pen pushers with you !

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Steinhart Ocean One Vintage is what i'm wearing at the moment.

Attachments

• 13913942644_ae05fa9415_b.jpg
    13913942644_ae05fa9415_b.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 667

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here