Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sausage Roll

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Americans really cannot do sausages. I can just about stomach one of their hot dogs so long as it smothered in onions and relish to give it some kind of taste, The ones they serve up at breakfast tend to be fairly shriveled up and disgusting – they always seem to be made from beef and never have a proper sausage skin. I think they know they are shite as they call them links instead of sausages. I have found a great little British store called Myers of Keswick in NYC which does proper Cumberland sausage rolls (and Scotch eggs) – at 4 bucks a pop they aren’t cheap but well worth it when you need reminding of good old Blighty.

Your post reminded me of something I'd read earlier this week. Jimmy Wales, of Wikipedia thinks British bacon is rubbish compared to American bacon...

"The bulk of bacon in the UK is "back bacon" versus what they call in the UK "streaky bacon". It's basically very very difficult to get good bacon in the UK and the strange thing is that people in the UK don't even seem to realize it."

https://www.quora.com/What-does-Jimmy-Wales-miss-most-about-the-USA

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Tried Silo sausage rolls earlier in the year - both my boy and I were sick afterwards.

More recently, the best sausage roll I have had came from The Pantry in South Farm Road, Worthing. Really rich pastry and good meat content. £2.20 a go but very filling.

Are you still at County Hall? The sausage rolls (and Scotch Eggs) from Richards Butchers are immense.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Your post reminded me of something I'd read earlier this week. Jimmy Wales, of Wikipedia thinks British bacon is rubbish compared to American bacon...

"The bulk of bacon in the UK is "back bacon" versus what they call in the UK "streaky bacon". It's basically very very difficult to get good bacon in the UK and the strange thing is that people in the UK don't even seem to realize it."

https://www.quora.com/What-does-Jimmy-Wales-miss-most-about-the-USA

Something to be said for this I think, I have to admit that the grerat majority of bacon bought in this country has a lot of water added to it, hence all that vile white coloured liquid that emanantes from it when u fry it, and the fact that the rashers shrivel to less than half of their original size.

The only way to be sure of avoiding this it seems to me, is to avoid the supermarket, and pay a bit more for your bacon from the butcher or a farm shop.

Jul 7, 2003
Are you still at County Hall? The sausage rolls (and Scotch Eggs) from Richards Butchers are immense.

Not for many years now. I had a sausage roll from Richards last year and thought they had changed the pastry as it wasn't as good as I remembered.

As for Scotch Eggs, I've still not found anyone who makes them as well as the now defunct Picnic Corner did. Those runny duck egg based, baked not fried Scotch Eggs were the best around but unfortunately Paul had to give up the business and get a proper job.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Had a sausage right lol at the England game last night, £7.

:nono:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Had a sausage right lol at the England game last night, £7.

:nono:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Stenhousemuir have the most expensive sausage rolls in Scotland at a shocking £4.90.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Canhams in Hove due excellent sausage rolls

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Not for many years now. I had a sausage roll from Richards last year and thought they had changed the pastry as it wasn't as good as I remembered.

As for Scotch Eggs, I've still not found anyone who makes them as well as the now defunct Picnic Corner did. Those runny duck egg based, baked not fried Scotch Eggs were the best around but unfortunately Paul had to give up the business and get a proper job.

Guy who drinks in the same club as me makes a duck scotch egg...........
Duck egg surrounded by duck meat instead of pork.........it is so good !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here