Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any drug cheats in football?

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Athletics and Cycling have both come under scrutiny for drug cheats with regular testing. How regular is testing in football and will there ever be a big drugs scandal with in the game? Please discuss.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was just about to tag you on here.
T'is catnip, although as there's nothing new to say, I'm out until such time as the bomb drops and Robbie Savage says:-

"I don't believe these reports, no drug can make you kick a ball straight'.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Cycling and Athletics is very different to football and require a different set of skills to succeed. There is only so much performance enhancing drugs can do, ability to read play and finesse on the ball is something I don't believe they can improve.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cycling and Athletics is very different to football and require a different set of skills to succeed. There is only so much performance enhancing drugs can do, ability to read play and finesse on the ball is something I don't believe they can improve.
Oh good god.

Whooosh.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I used to play regularly after abusing enormous amounts of alcohol. Not sure it was tremendously performance enhancing, mind.....

:ffsparr:

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Players have been tested and found with recreational drugs with in their system. There were rumours that a certain footballer dodged a test due to the fact he was taking medication for a dose of the clap and was terrified that it would get out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Players have been tested and found with recreational drugs with in their system. There were rumours that a certain footballer dodged a test due to the fact he was taking medication for a dose of the clap and was terrified that it would get out.
Surely he didn't play for Blackpool? You'd best hope Mr. Oyston isn't reading this!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Footballers need to have levels of fitness that are greater than their predecessors. Performance enhancing drugs in any sport don't change your ability regarding strategy. I suspect there are cases of footballers using drugs but the level of testing is not as great as with athletics as far as I'm aware.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Footballers need to have levels of fitness that are greater than their predecessors. Performance enhancing drugs in any sport don't change your ability regarding strategy. I suspect there are cases of footballers using drugs but the level of testing is not as great as with athletics as far as I'm aware.

Performance enhancing drugs also allow faster " recovery time" so that means athletes can train harder and not have to wait to train again.

I am so surprised anyone is surprised about this. Ever since I have been interested in athletics, there has been people banned for drugs...remember lassi veran who used to beat david Bedford...turned out he had blood transfusions with high oxygenated blood before races...the East Germans whose women were all built like men...Ben Johnson, warren gattlin...there are thousands of them.

Football needs to have the same rigorous testing regime as cycling, swimming, athletics etc. That is the only way anyone can have confidence in all sports and we are not watching cheats.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The pace of the premier league has increased by 20% over the past 10 to 15 years. I don't know how that stat is calculated but I suppose it's based on average distance travelled per game and average speed. I would be very surprised if there wasn't some use of performance enhancing drugs. It's well known that Inter Milan were taking some "additives" in the 60's under Helenio Herrera and the use of creatin in Italy for strength and muscle development is also well known (both have been admitted by footballers involved).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The pace of the premier league has increased by 20% over the past 10 to 15 years. I don't know how that stat is calculated but I suppose it's based on average distance travelled per game and average speed. I would be very surprised if there wasn't some use of performance enhancing drugs. It's well known that Inter Milan were taking some "additives" in the 60's under Helenio Herrera and the use of creatin in Italy for strength and muscle development is also well known (both have been admitted by footballers involved).

Creatine is not illegal and just a step above caffeine.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I know that but it is still an example of footballers taking performance enhancing additives. It's a big step above caffeine.

I understand your viewpoint. However, the way I see I is if it is not banned, you are not a drug cheat for taking supplements. Sally Gunnel, Ian Wright, for example. It is an amino acid produced by the body and found in red meat and fish. It seems to be out of fashion anyway. I have taken supplements and it is in most protein powders.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here