where would you take a foreigner

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
have some foreign types over for xmas
they are of the Argie variety,and can be a difficult bunch
I asked "do you want to do anything specific on this trip"
she just said take us to places you are proud to say "this is Britain,"

apart from the pub where would you go?distance is not problem

Pasta, last few years I have had some jerry friends over around New Year, and have had to arrange entertainment on similar basis.

National Hunt racing at Chelters on New Years Day with a local hotel (like the Greenway) is just the ticket, but Plumpton and Fontwell are local and should have meets that time of year.

Last year when they were over we took them to the Fulham game after a day in London with dinner at Simpsons in the Strand. They are Bayern fans, and they loved it, albeit they had been to previous BHA games..........once we were in a pub after an away game and it was last night of the proms, and we got the whole pub involved with Rule Britannia.

The truth is, the pubs, racecourses etc are the background, if you as host can bring your English charm to bear on proceedings you will be fine..........thats what most foreigners want when in auld England.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
U.K.
have some foreign types over for xmas
they are of the Argie variety,and can be a difficult bunch
I asked "do you want to do anything specific on this trip"
she just said take us to places you are proud to say "this is Britain,"

apart from the pub where would you go?distance is not problem

1st port of call has to be Margaret Thatcher's burial plot.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Surprised it took till post 14, but is of course the right answer
Someone already mentioned the Portsmouth dockyard...that's got lots of museum references to the Falklands skirmish....I am sure that reminders of this countries historic naval power is not going to sit comfortably.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
When touring round Sussex with USA relatives I was surprised at the importance they placed on seeing the Seven Sisters. An iconic view of England they thought. Also showed them Rye with a pub meal at the Ypres.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm struggling with this one, for once you've stumped me.
Not to worry chap,it was always going to be a bit of an ask for someone like yourself to say anything positive about somewhere in Britain,at least you joined in the thread though eh,even if it was just to be negative.

but cheers everyone else
many recommendations already done like Pompey Dockyard, Arundel,Boat on the Thames,Beachy head,pretty much all London tourist spots

but some corkers that had skipped my radar like
Bodiam Castle,Rye,Avebury,Hove Dogs,National Theatre and Simpsons On The Strand for some incredible Roast Beef to finish the day

I don’t recall The Stanley Arms, Portslade. ever on my watchlist……ill put that down in the same category as recommending away fans to The Hikers

goes without saying a trip to The Amex is already booked,the ones that have been previously are now full on Albion fans(second team obviously) now they actually attended a live game in the UK, hoping for two more converts after this visit…….just doing my bit for world peace!

The imperial war museum Falklands war exhibit? Lots of pics of their soldiers surrendering and sitting under blankets shivering. I remember going into a Militaria shop in Liverpool years ago and the owner was showing a punter an Argentinian helmet with a bullet hole in it and blood all over the straps. On it someone had written 100 yards. One shot. One dead Argie.

is this a standard exhibit on now

I think they might like the history aspect of this and the museum itself.
Some were over a couple of years ago at the time of remembrance and went to the war memorial wearing a poppy with me at Worthing on the 11th , They took a moment to remember all the dead,those from our country and theirs……I had no problem also sharing a thought for the young Argie lads that lost their life.in that conflict

would be a shame if it was one of those exhibits with limited lifetime

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not to worry chap,it was always going to be a bit of an ask for someone like yourself to say anything positive about somewhere in Britain,at least you joined in the thread though eh,even if it was just to be negative.

but cheers everyone else
many recommendations already done like Pompey Dockyard, Arundel,Boat on the Thames,Beachy head,pretty much all London tourist spots

but some corkers that had skipped my radar like
Bodiam Castle,Rye,Avebury,Hove Dogs,National Theatre and Simpsons On The Strand for some incredible Roast Beef to finish the day

I don’t recall The Stanley Arms, Portslade. ever on my watchlist……ill put that down in the same category as recommending away fans to The Hikers

goes without saying a trip to The Amex is already booked,the ones that have been previously are now full on Albion fans(second team obviously) now they actually attended a live game in the UK, hoping for two more converts after this visit…….just doing my bit for world peace!

is this a standard exhibit on now

I think they might like the history aspect of this and the museum itself.
Some were over a couple of years ago at the time of remembrance and went to the war memorial wearing a poppy with me at Worthing on the 11th , They took a moment to remember all the dead,those from our country and theirs……I had no problem also sharing a thought for the young Argie lads that lost their life.in that conflict

would be a shame if it was one of those exhibits with limited lifetime

I'm sure it is on your list but the Brighton Pavilion is amazing. It's something we tend to ignore as many see it as being just for tourists but is a fascinating hour or so, especially with the audio tour.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm sure it is on your list but the Brighton Pavilion is amazing. It's something we tend to ignore as many see it as being just for tourists but is a fascinating hour or so, especially with the audio tour.

it wasnt on my list actually and they havnt done it,neither have i in the last 30 years.....another good call

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I took some overseas visitors to Ely and they loved it. On a cold clear winter's day with mist rising from the Fens it could be quite atmospheric and it's a lovely town.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Another vote for Rye and Bodiam Castle on a venture east. Try the Ypres Castle for a spot of lunch at a typical pub, with great views south over the nature reserve.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here