Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 23,661

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I still know people who were regulars at the Goldstone who have never been to the Amex.

I suspect several reasons all combined.

1) They are not computer savvy and are used just turning up and not sitting in a particular place
2) Offput by the time taken travelling to the game and the crowded trains (with justification West Coastway bit)
3) Astounded at the price for a single game and they want to watch from the side of the pitch (a not very good seat in East Lower costs £40)

Are they justified

1) No. Once you get used to it, the new system is better than long queues and not sure if you can get in (If you internet is working and your printer does not crash). Still worth getting a season ticket to avoid the hassle.
2) Trains are usually a doddle from Brighton but the connections are naff. That's railways for you!
3) OAPs can get in a bit cheaper.

I think for the people I know it is the West Coastway trains though. It makes a long day for the older supporter. Evening games can be particularly naff.

MDI.JPG

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No. He's been to lots of other Q&A sessions.

Its not been quoted on the clubs Twitter feed, quoted on here before , in the Argus, or in Tweets reporting on the Q&As and it would be highly unusual as he's avoiding committing to it for the past 3 seasons when asked about it, but i must have missed it. :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I cannot see attendances decreasing if we get promoted, and I doubt we'd have more than maybe 2 or 3 home games TOPS televised live, so the chopping and changing wouldn't be significantly worse than what we currently have IMO.

I'd be amazed if we weren't close to selling out in the PL.

PL capacity running at 96% at present so agree

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its not been quoted on the clubs Twitter feed, quoted on here before , in the Argus, or in Tweets reporting on the Q&As and it would be highly unusual as he's avoiding committing to it for the past 3 seasons when asked about it, but i must have missed it. :)

Perhaps you should subscribe to Tim Carder's Albion Almanac. It's just £5 a year via email. It minutes every fans meeting that the club attends with all the Q&As. If I could be bothered I would search amongst the ones I have stored to give you exact times and dates.

In 2013/14 income from matchday was £10.4 million, (bigger than that of Palace for example, who are PL).

Next season, if we were to be promoted AND even if we finish bottom, we would earn £99 million from TV rights (plus parachute payments the following seasons).

So is there a NEED to increase ST prices, no.

If the club believe they can fill all seats at a higher price, then there is an economic argument for it from their point of view.

Although the costs involved in just trying to compete, particularly in the first season, might be almost anything and then there's the matter of £60M+ worth of shareholder loans to consider/repay/convert or whatever.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I'm not quite sure that's the case. I and countless others have said the same about match day prices.

If you live in, say, Worthing and catch the train to a game a category C North Stand ticket for £25 looks remarkably good value as it's also covering you for c£8 of rail fare.

If you live in Brighton (or otherwise derive no real financial benefit from the inclusive travel) a £42 ticket for a category A game, for example against Charlton, looks very expensive indeed.

Clearly there are a number of different use cases that sit between these extreme examples.

While I agree with your general point, do you think people are actually doing that maths? Are those on the fence going "Well it's £25, but I won't have to pay for the travel." Are they even aware? I had to inform someone catching the bus the other day that they could use their tickets for free travel, even if they weren't STHs. I know that's a sample size of one, but I don't think it's made a big deal of by the club for those buying a one off ticket.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Perhaps you should subscribe to Tim Carder's Albion Almanac. It's just £5 a year via email. It minutes every fans meeting that the club attends with all the Q&As. If I could be bothered I would search amongst the ones I have stored to give you exact times and dates.

That would be great if you could.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Where ? or do you mean that the club always say every season when ST prices are announced that they are dependent on the club remaining in the Championship.

I know everyone is expecting a hike in ticket prices were we to be promoted, but with the enormity of the cashflow for every team in that league, there is strong case for freezing or even lowering prices, as the reliance on ticket revenue becomes much less important.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] ?

Paul Barber has already said sth prices would rise if we got promoted.

In 2013/14 income from matchday was £10.4 million, (bigger than that of Palace for example, who are PL).

Next season, if we were to be promoted AND even if we finish bottom, we would earn £99 million from TV rights (plus parachute payments the following seasons).

So is there a NEED to increase ST prices, no.

If the club believe they can fill all seats at a higher price, then there is an economic argument for it from their point of view.

Of course, it's well worth remembering there would be 4 (FOUR) less home games in the prem league, covered by the season ticket. It's an awful lot - over £100 worth in most season ticket seats. So a price 'freeze' would sound great but actually be a large hike! Don't get m wrong, I'd very much be happy with this 'freeze' if it happened - but average price per game would be a bit higher...

In terms of a marketing spin, the club may well go with this. Price 'freeze' is the term everyone will use, and they'd look good in the media etc if this was the case. Not saying they shouldn't do this of course, it's basic PR and marketing...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In terms of a marketing spin, the club may well go with this. Price 'freeze' is the term everyone will use, and they'd look good in the media etc if this was the case. Not saying they shouldn't do this of course, it's basic PR and marketing...

Last season only Norwich implemented a season ticket price freeze of the promoted clubs even with the reduced number of games and increased tv revenue., although match day tickets went up slightly. Bournemouth and Watford prices season tickets went up substantially especially at the higher end.

PS: I believe the Norwich freeze was only available if you renewed by a certain date.

via
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34507719
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29527838

Norwich:
14/15: 499-646 - ST prices/ high/low
15/16 499-646
14/15: 25-40 - Matchday prices / high/low
15/16: 30-50

Bournemouth
14/15: £480-660
15/16: £550-760
14/15 - 25-35
15/16 - £32

Watford:
14/15: 366-497 (Season tickets low/high)
15/16 385-650
14/15 £14-£31 (adult match day tickets)
15/16: £36-42

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course, it's well worth remembering there would be 4 (FOUR) less home games in the prem league, covered by the season ticket. It's an awful lot - over £100 worth in most season ticket seats. So a price 'freeze' would sound great but actually be a large hike! Don't get m wrong, I'd very much be happy with this 'freeze' if it happened - but average price per game would be a bit higher...

If IF the club were to be in a different division next year, I can see them going for a Stoke City free travel, type deal.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stok...-just-ticket/story-26729174-detail/story.html

along with a price freeze, net increase.

The club location, it's catchment area and proximity to London would make home games a massive cash cow, which would be hard to turn down.

But with the money rolling in the need to give back will loom large.
Free away travel or food and drink type initiatives won't be expensive, in the whole scheme of things, but still look great.

Free everything when away to Newcastle for a 12:15 ko :facepalm:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If IF the club were to be in a different division next year, I can see them going for a Stoke City free travel, type deal.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stok...-just-ticket/story-26729174-detail/story.html

along with a price freeze, net increase.

The club location, it's catchment area and proximity to London would make home games a massive cash cow, which would be hard to turn down.

But with the money rolling in the need to give back will loom large.
Free away travel or food and drink type initiatives won't be expensive, in the whole scheme of things, but still look great.

Free everything when away to Newcastle for a 12:15 ko :facepalm:

Makes sense. Non STH match day prices for cat A games would probably go through the roof though............basic supply and demand, we'd probably sell out comfortably against the like of Arsenal, ManU etc

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Makes sense. Non STH match day prices for cat A games would probably go through the roof though............basic supply and demand, we'd probably sell out comfortably against the like of Arsenal, ManU etc
Yep but we can pretty much guarantee whatever extortionate price a club, in the Albion's position, were to charge for those games it would still be able to sell out at an even higher price.

As much as it stinks and stinks bad, it would be hard to be so critical of a club knowing a money making machine had just been delivered to the front door.

Are all Bournemouth games sold out?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Watford:
14/15: 366-497 (Season tickets low/high)
15/16 385-650
14/15 £14-£31 (adult match day tickets)
15/16: £36-42

That increase on the high end season tickets isn't good, but the low end match day ticket increase is disgusting. Increasing them by more than a 150% isn't on, even if they're still not terriby expensive by Premier League standards.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I just cannot understand why match day prices are so high. Season tickets are good value ie East Upper about £28.50 per game. none of our group have a problem passing ticket on for this amount when one cant go. But have yet to find anyone willing to pay £41. How on earth can 50% increase be justified. Cannot believe season ticket holders would be upset if prices were lower as bigger crowds mean better atmosphere. There are so many that either cant afford season ticket or cant commit to 23games that we should be attracting. Morning of game tickets should be max £20/25

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
You can't print at home for U21s games at the training centre, which are 'free' to sth. You have to go to the Amex and pay £1 booking fee, just to get your name on a list for entry.

Are you sure? - UNDER-21S FACE DERBY TODAY

Supporters are reminded that capacity for today’s game is strictly limited and only Albion season-ticket holders will be allowed to attend; tickets must be ordered in advance via seagulls.tickets.com and printed at home.

Those supporters are also reminded to bring their ticket with them, as there are no facilities to re-print tickets at the training ground.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
When we hit the Premiership next season we will fill the Amex every week.
I would recommend getting a season ticket now or risk not getting in again.

This is the gamble i guess. I certainly dont mind people getting tickets cheaper than my season ticket to boost the crowd or give to schools or underprivalaged etc. Discounts to UB40's etc should all be investigated to try to fill the empty seasts. As you say if we go up tickets really will be at a premium and season ticket holders will be in prime position....

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I cannot see attendances decreasing if we get promoted, and I doubt we'd have more than maybe 2 or 3 home games TOPS televised live, so the chopping and changing wouldn't be significantly worse than what we currently have IMO.

I'd be amazed if we weren't close to selling out in the PL.

If we were in the premier league, I think most home games would sell out or be very close. Away support would sell out every week imo. Premier league fans wanting to see a new stadium and would expect to give us a dam good thrashing...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The ticket pricing does seem a bit silly in places.

For example, it costs more to watch the Albion play against 22nd place Charlton than against potential promotion rivals Birmingham City.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The figure would have been higher, I'm sure, had we been playing against a real football club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If we were in the premier league, I think most home games would sell out or be very close. Away support would sell out every week imo. Premier league fans wanting to see a new stadium and would expect to give us a dam good thrashing...

In addition, were we to not only go up but also stay up, the away end would always sell out against Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Southampton, Palace, Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, The Toon and Citeh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here