Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

By-election test for Corbyn.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They could stick a red rosette on a wardrobe and it would get elected in that seat.

just had 30 notes at 6/1. UKIP shoo in.

On the day their only black candidate accuses Ukip of being racist?

We will certainly find out how much the Tory press hate Corbyn more than they hate right-wing bigotry - we know the answer to that probably but still won't be enough

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Nearly 15,000 majority for a recently deceased MP who by all accounts was popular locally. Corbyn will probably play well in Labour strongholds (marginals might be another story but we shall see).

Would be tempted to keep my money in my pocket.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
looking at the seat's last showing, Meacher considerably increased his majority, adding more than 4k more voters. so i dont think this one is going to embaress Corbyn, worse case a "close" vote within a few thousand.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not so sure. Have had a tickle at 6/1. UKIP went from 3% of vote to 39% in Heywood and Middleton and that was when Labour had a leader who at least at that time looked almost electable.

Difference is that UKIP have lost that momentum they then had, haven't exactly had a good six months, and the electorate now recognise that they have to confront UKIP's very raison d'être. We'll see.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
looking at the seat's last showing, Meacher considerably increased his majority, adding more than 4k more voters. so i dont think this one is going to embaress Corbyn, worse case a "close" vote within a few thousand.

I think your right, if UKIP thought they had a realistic chance at winning they would be making far more noise trying to build momentum.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Difference is that UKIP have lost that momentum they then had, haven't exactly had a good six months, and the electorate now recognise that they have to confront UKIP's very raison d'être. We'll see.

Being racist is bloody tiring after a while.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Why is it a test for Corbyn? He is not standing in the bi-election is he!? People would do well to look at and remember what and who they actually vote for!

I think you are being rather naïve here, with respect. People tend to vote for the party, and who leads that party is clearly a big issue. Granted, he personally is not standing, but his policies are likely to affect the way that party operates. Many an otherwise good constituency MP undeservedly loses his/her seat due to national swings come election time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here