Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Zealand

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And yet when you consider how good they are at Football, Cricket, Tennis, Golf, Motor Sport or any other global sport it becomes clearer that their success is at the expense of practically every other sport. It's an interesting choice to have made. If you live over there and don't like Rugby it must be hell.

I know a girl who lives in NZ and she doesn't like rugby. But, she loves living there. I get regular updates and I have to say it does seem a lovely, and easy, country to live in. Far from hell.

Feb 14, 2010
A few years ago, New Zealand's highest paid "sportsman" carried Tiger Woods golf clubs. A fact that always made me chuckle, especially when a Kiwi was trying to convince me that Rugby Union was a global game like football and that one of their rugby players (who I had never heard of) was as big a star as George Best, Ronaldo or Messi ! Having said that, the All Blacks are a great institution and the rugby has been enjoyable. Well done the Kiwis, they seemed head and shoulders above everyone else.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Amazing how a nation of 4 million people is that incredibly good at rugby.

Also how uniteresting rugby is whb there's no world cup final thread and it's being played in our own country...

Could be because the game's only just finished and the people who are interested have been watching the match. It was a cracking final - by some way the best one yet

Might be just me as a part time rubgy fan but all this talk of "best World Cup ever" - really? It's been totally obvious from the start the New Zealand would win it. In 2003 you had no idea until literally the last kick. Yes that's England win bias but how can people be lauding a tournament where pretty much every game there was at least one player stretchered off, where the inferiority of Northern Hemisphere teams and Southern Hemisphere referees was painfully obvious and the winner was a shoe in from kick one?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Normans were descended from Vikings who were a Germanic tribe. How is that hardly German?
For a couple of reasons. Firstly, the Normans weren't pure Vikings, the Vikings mixed with the local people (they did particularly like the mixing part). Secondly, Vikings themselves weren't German, they were Germanic, which is not the same. Germanic are not people who come from Germany, the Romans called Gauls Germanic.

The English weren't Norman, I assume they were largely Anglo-Saxon, with Normans and Danes etc thrown in, as well as the Celts. We're certainly not a purebred race of people who descended from a land which is now called Germany.

I suspect you've got Germany and Germanic mixed up.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For a couple of reasons. Firstly, the Normans weren't pure Vikings, the Vikings mixed with the local people (they did particularly like the mixing part). Secondly, Vikings themselves weren't German, they were Germanic, which is not the same. Germanic are not people who come from Germany, the Romans called Gauls Germanic.

The English weren't Norman, I assume they were largely Anglo-Saxon, with Normans and Danes etc thrown in, as well as the Celts. We're certainly not a purebred race of people who descended from a land which is now called Germany.

I suspect you've got Germany and Germanic mixed up.
You are right. However modern Germans are the result of the mixture primarily, of many Germanic tribes. Germanic is a loose term and can mean ethnically or linguistically. It seems likely that there is a great deal of ethnic familiarity between the Norsemen and the Germans as there is much in common with their languages. Some Viking lands were in modern Germany in any case. And yes, the Normans would have been less Norse as they had been in northern France for a couple of hundred years. I seem to remember reading recent evidence that celts were also related to the Germanic tribes but just arrived in Europe a little before. I love history and find this particularly appealing, but in the end, we are all just humans after all!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You are right.
Good lord, I wasn't expecting that. Thanks.
However modern Germans are the result of the mixture primarily, of many Germanic tribes. Germanic is a loose term and can mean ethnically or linguistically. It seems likely that there is a great deal of ethnic familiarity between the Norsemen and the Germans as there is much in common with their languages. Some Viking lands were in modern Germany in any case.
I imagine there's a good mix of Romans in there too? I googled Germanic Map and got this, under images:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...-AAMvA&biw=1600&bih=886#imgrc=DDaBrumIj9XqxM:

I seem to remember reading recent evidence that celts were also related to the Germanic tribes but just arrived in Europe a little before. I love history and find this particularly appealing, but in the end, we are all just humans after all!
There's just been a decent series about the Celts on tv (The Celts: Blood, Iron And Sacrifice), with the slaggy Dr Alice Roberts.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

You are right. However modern Germans are the result of the mixture primarily, of many Germanic tribes. Germanic is a loose term and can mean ethnically or linguistically. It seems likely that there is a great deal of ethnic familiarity between the Norsemen and the Germans as there is much in common with their languages. Some Viking lands were in modern Germany in any case. And yes, the Normans would have been less Norse as they had been in northern France for a couple of hundred years. I seem to remember reading recent evidence that celts were also related to the Germanic tribes but just arrived in Europe a little before. I love history and find this particularly appealing, but in the end, we are all just humans after all!

Blooming good lager as well:moo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucvLib4swC4

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here