Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trick or Treat

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
On a side note, a friend of my Mrs went to a fancy dress party the other day with a massive ‘Eileen’ name badge and loads of fake spunk on her...

No need for fakery. I can sell you a little blue pill that’ll help you out for that.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bought a big bag of cadbury's mini chocolate bars just in case last night, but had no callers at all, so we ate them. Result :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
same thing surely....might not be happy with a penny though !!

I'm not sure it is the same thing. With a guy you put some effort into it and then sat on a street corner, preferably near some shops, and people chucked their change at you if they wanted. Even if you made nothing you still had a guy to put on the bonfire.

With trick or treat kids call at strangers doors, when it's dark, and it's effectively "Give us something nice or else.". It always reminds me when you get a gang of teenagers knocking at your door near Christmas - "Wotcha mate", and then with no decernable tune "Good King Whatisname looked out on feast of er, er, Simon" - "Got some spare change mate ?"

And yes, you call me Victor.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No kids at the door last night. Brilliant news - I now have a big tub of sweets and chocolate to eat that the Mrs bought 'just in case'

We used to get loads, but we've lived here over 20 years and houses hardly ever change hands in our road, so all the kids have grown up :D

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Couldn't deny my 4 year old daughter the chance to go knocking on people's doors for sweets. It's a big deal where we live now and every year it gets bigger, with lots of homes decorated. It starts about 5pm and finishes about 7pm. Rule is no knocking if the house has no pumpkin or other decoration outside. Everyone who knocked on our door for sweets said thank you.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bought a big bag of cadbury's mini chocolate bars just in case last night, but had no callers at all

No kids at the door last night. Brilliant news - I now have a big tub of sweets and chocolate to east that the Mrs bought 'just in case'

We used to get loads, but we've lived here over 20 years and houses hardly ever change hands in our road, so all the kids have grown up :D

We had only two callers last night: there used to a lot more than that. Is it a sign that Halloween isn't a kids' thing now - it's been hijacked by adults - or fewer kids in the neighbourhood. There still quite a few young kids in our street so I don't think it's that. Still, my kids are delighted with all the leftover sweets.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Yet another vile American custom that has been taken up over this side of the pond for no discernible reason.
I had a damn great poster on my door that told the little ******** not to knock.
It worked I'm pleased to say - why should I feed someone else's brats ?
Yes I am a miserable old sod and no I don't care

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We had only two callers last night: there used to a lot more than that. Is it a sign that Halloween isn't a kids' thing now - it's been hijacked by adults - or fewer kids in the neighbourhood. There still quite a few young kids in our street so I don't think it's that. Still, my kids are delighted with all the leftover sweets.

It's certainly still very much a kids' thing - my neighbourhood was full of groups of kids trick or treating.

Did you have pumpkins or the like out to indicate you were "participating"? When I was a kid, we just used to go to all houses but with my own kids, now, we only go to houses that indicate they are likely to be receptive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Most of our friends (when the kids were younger) would go round with the kids........if they're young enough to knock on doors to ask for sweets, they're too young to be out on their own. Essentially what we had was 'pre-arranged' trick or treating, with our kids only going to houses within our circle of friends. Still surprised we didn't get any randoms knocking last night though - first time that's happened I think.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's certainly still very much a kids' thing - my neighbourhood was full of groups of kids trick or treating.

Did you have pumpkins or the like out to indicate you were "participating"? When I was a kid, we just used to go to all houses but with my own kids, now, we only go to houses that indicate they are likely to be receptive.

To echo this, it's massively a kids thing round our way. Halloween parties, decorated houses and I reckon I had over 20 knocks on the door, albeit we had pumpkins out the front and our neighbours know we have kids of 'that' age so we were well prepared.

Given I'm an ex Lewes resident, it pains me to say bonfire night is almost an irrelevance to my kids. I keep trying to get them interested but they will asking for the PS4 after the second Roman candle next week. Free sweets and a chance to scare the neighbours beats burning Catholics hands down to them. I've got in the spirit of it as if you can't beat them and all that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
To echo this, it's massively a kids thing round our way. Halloween parties, decorated houses and I reckon I had over 20 knocks on the door, albeit we had pumpkins out the front and our neighbours know we have kids of 'that' age so we were well prepared.

Given I'm an ex Lewes resident, it pains me to say bonfire night is almost an irrelevance to my kids. I keep trying to get them interested but they will asking for the PS4 after the second Roman candle next week. Free sweets and a chance to scare the neighbours beats burning Catholics hands down to them. I've got in the spirit of it as if you can't beat them and all that.

Bonfire night was more fun when there were not so many organised events, when you had a chance of losing an eye when your Dad didn't make sure the bottle for the rocket was stable, or burning your fingers on a sparkler.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Bonfire night was more fun when there were not so many organised events, when you had a chance of losing an eye when your Dad didn't make sure the bottle for the rocket was stable, or burning your fingers on a sparkler.

In the spirit of the 80s, I've bought some sky rockets which are massive and a display firework which is far too big for the garden according to the blurb on the back. Bloke down the pub said your eyes grow back so not to worry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here