Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shaker Aamer released from Guantanamo

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You do realise that it is possible for not all Muslims who have gone to Syria or Afghanistan to be there for the same purpose? If it is so obvious (to you, at least) that Shaker Aamer was in Afghanistan for terrorism purposes, why has no evidence or charges been brought against him in the 13 years that he has been detained?

The massive irony here is that we're told the war on terror is a struggle to protect Britain, and indeed the rest of the West, from having our culture and values destroyed and eroded by extremists. The last time I checked, 'innoncent until proven guilty' was one of the fundemental tenets of our society.
We are at war with these people , and in times of war different standards apply , how come the "charity" he was working for didn't pipe up to proclaim his innocence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that what you really think is the case ?
Not with any conviction, which ironically also applies to all those held in Guantanamo.

Do I really believe every man held there is guilty - absolutely not.

Therefore the whole process is wrong, and it wouldn't be the greatest leap to think it's part of the problem not the cure.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The OP wouldnt have been in afghanistan on ''charity work'' , funny how that other innocent man omar deghayes 2 nephews have both been killed whilst fighting in syria , or that other innocent from guantanamo jamal al harith who is now with ISIS in syria, the naivete of some people is astounding.

I'm surprised, you normally come across as someone who loves your fellow man without prejudice.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The OP wouldnt have been in afghanistan on ''charity work'' , funny how that other innocent man omar deghayes 2 nephews have both been killed whilst fighting in syria , or that other innocent from guantanamo jamal al harith who is now with ISIS in syria, the naivete of some people is astounding.

Your logic is flawed. There are no reports of any of his relatives fighting in Syria, and you cannot use the example of one man and pin on another unless you share the same mentality of George Bush. Maybe you are related to him :shrug:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
We are at war with these people , and in times of war different standards apply , how come the "charity" he was working for didn't pipe up to proclaim his innocence.

We've been perfectly capable of putting other terrorism suspects, arrested as a result of disrupted attacks, on trial and putting them in prison if found guility, so why not in this case? Secondly, it is the British government who have been calling for his release. The US cleared him for release in 2007 - yet it has taken 8 years for this to be processed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Mr Aamer was detained in Afghanistan in 2001 by bounty hunters tracking down and handing over possible al-Qaeda suspects, shortly after the 9/11 attacks on America."

Rounding up benign charity workers and claiming they're terrorists to a paranoid authority seems like easy money to me.

I wonder how much you get for a "terrorist"? Might bag myself a couple this afternoon.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Would those 2 family members, and t'other fella be radicalised had 'innocent' men not been detained without trial and tortured for 13 years?
]]

Exactly what I was going to say.

We won't know for definite why they went and fought, however having a family member locked up for no reason other than his relgion and location making him a suspect is going to help the brain washer in their task.

Some of the things that these people will have been through is madness and just wrong. If we think our governments are much better than the ones that they booted out of power then I feel we are sadly wrong

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I keep asking myself
"what sort of charity work was he doing in Afghanistan"
does anyone actually know?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I wonder how much you get for a "terrorist"? Might bag myself a couple this afternoon.

Well,the Fatherland seems to be importing lots of fresh suspects so you won't have to look very far!Or are you un-bonkable's next door neighbour?(Don't suppose there are any refugees within 100 km of her palace)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
What charity was he working for?

The whole argument seems to hinge on this. If your in a war zone, especially as a foreign national it would be quite easy to be executed as a spy, ie you need a damn good reason to be there

he should be strung up years ago or sent back to saudi and his wife booted out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here