Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Portsmouth recently.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Having a day off work, we went down to bosham this afternoon. Really lovely place , fab pub and great long walk around the inlet. Decided to go down to Portsmouth as the radio said that the a27 was blocked.

Headed down to gun wharf keys and the area around the spinnaker tower. What a transformation around the old waterfront and dockyard and to be honest, I always thought that brighton seafront was why people headed down here, but it is a really superb design and puts brighton to shame.

If you have a spare day, pop down to the area. The shopping is great, outlet stores etc, there are plenty of cinemas and bowling alleys etc, and a great selection of restaurants and bars.

Last time I went there, it was a total shithole but I was pleasantly surprised. I do hope the area around the i360 is developed to the same standard.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Having a day off work, we went down to bosham this afternoon. Really lovely place , fab pub and great long walk around the inlet. Decided to go down to Portsmouth as the radio said that the a27 was blocked.

Headed down to gun wharf keys and the area around the spinnaker tower. What a transformation around the old waterfront and dockyard and to be honest, I always thought that brighton seafront was why people headed down here, but it is a really superb design and puts brighton to shame.

If you have a spare day, pop down to the area. The shopping is great, outlet stores etc, there are plenty of cinemas and bowling alleys etc, and a great selection of restaurants and bars.

Last time I went there, it was a total shithole but I was pleasantly surprised. I do hope the area around the i360 is developed to the same standard.

Haven't been for some time though I used to live near Bosham.

To be frank Portsmouth, due to it's naval associations and history, has probably more character than Brighton and recent developments, as you say, have improved it's up to date aspect as a place to live / visit.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Gunwharf Quays and the Historic Dockyard make a good day out. I go to Pompey to see old friends on a regular basis.
Our marina is shocking in comparison.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Gunwharf Keys is well worth a visit, some really good clothes shops, also been to the cinema and bowling.
Spinnaker Tower is good and the area around Gunwharf Keys isn't too bad.
I have stayed down there a few times when I have visited the Historic Dockyard.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

I'm going to a stag weekend there in November. Stange choice of location, I thought - but perhaps I'll be proved wrong.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

It's been like that for about ten years!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
there are some very pleasant al-fresco dining / drinking options available on a fine day and some utter bargains available if you are of medium build with < size 10 feet....of which i am neither , we always head to pompey for a day out when we are back home....!!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm going to a stag weekend there in November. Stange choice of location, I thought - but perhaps I'll be proved wrong.

we did a fancy dress train trip around the i.o.w for a stag do back in the 90's......when we got back to pompey we ran into a hoard of pilled up west brom at the station ....funny week end...!!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
It's been like that for about ten years!

What he said - and Gunwharf Quays is bigger than many people seem to think. And the historic dockyard is superb. The Mary Rose Museum is one of the best museums around - fascinating and superbly done. I think it is going to be closed for a while very soon while they complete the next stage of the renovation work.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here