Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley .... like being in a third world country

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Crawley is a complete dump. Maidenbour, Pound Hill and Worth being the exception. But the rest of it is a complete and utter shithole. I have had the displeasure of spending quite a bit of time there.

Also a fairly high number of Palace fans around. Says it all.

So what about Tilgate, Furnace Green, Gossops Green and many other villages made up to be Crawley, all shit holes?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
When you say, in your garbled grammar and spelling, Crawley, do you mean the whole of Crawley, or Gossops Green or Northgate, or Furnace Green, or Tilgate, were you talking as a whole or just generally talking bollocks?

Shall I just say Brighton is a shit hole and leave it there?

I think it's fairly clear I was referring to the town centre. Why would anyone even think of starting a thread about Gossops Green or Northgate?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
So what about Tilgate, Furnace Green, Gossops Green and many other villages made up to be Crawley, all shit holes?

Well, yes. Tilgate park is nice, but come on, you can't say Tilgate is a nice area.

I used to live in Gossops Green so fairly well placed to judge that one. It's a shit hole.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Having lived in 'Crawley' for the past year I find it a little bit insulting that someone comes on here having spent 10 minutes in the town centre and labels the whole place with the same brush. I am sure he lives in just the best place known to man, somewhere around Whitehawk. None of your (racist remarks) eastern Europeans or Muslims where I live, Did you come where I live on your amazing trip around the town. What a seriously deluded and utterly wrong post.

I was talking about the town centre. The rest of the area, the Crawley suburbs, are just bland "nothing" places with nothing of note to remember them by. Incidentally, I knew Crawley fairly well in the past having worked there for five years in the 60s and another five years in the 90s and it's fair to say I am shocked by how awful the town centre has become.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well, yes. Tilgate park is nice, but come on, you can't say Tilgate is a nice area.

I used to live in Gossops Green so fairly well placed to judge that one. It's a shit hole.

Seriously? Buckswood Drive down to the A264 is a shit hole? I want to live where you do!!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Crawley and Horsham are worlds apart .They have absolutely nothing in common at all.I've lived in Crawley 50 years and this is the first time I've heard someone say Crawley is like Horsham.
The people are different,the landscape is different,attitudes are different,accents are different,I bet the water tastes diffrent too.

Horsham is one of the nicer towns in Sussex. Crawley isn't.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
The White Hart and environs?

http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/reigate-surrey.html

"Reigate, jewel in the crown of the Surrey Hills market towns, has at last succumbed to the tidal wave of Chavity sweeping our nation. She tried for so long to fend off advances from neighbouring Redhill and Woodhatch (hotbeds of pikiness), but the virus has found a breeding ground in the White Hart (Church Street)."

That closed in 2007!

I'm also intrigued though to hear which part of Reigate he wouldn't go to.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
He went shockingly quiet after his ridiculous post. Probably a wind up mixed in with a bit of racism.

Unlike some of the sad souls on here I do actually have other things to do apart from watching NSC all day ....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You and I both know that some of the clowns banging on about it either a) have hardly ever been there so will form an opinion based on one grey day or b) live in one of Sussex's numerous drearily dull towns that really couldn't hold a candle to what Crawley has to offer.
Serious question - what does it have to offer? Reading posts from the advocates I get the feeling the best bit is how quickly you can get out of it.

And some of the ones taking the piss out of Crawley but living in Brighton spend 3 hours a day on the train just so they can pay the mortgage, and another 3 hours a day at the weekend just stuck in traffic trying to get somewhere else.
Well house prices certainly have gone a bit mental, but you may have overdone the exaggeration.

And don't get me started on maidenbower???
What do you think of Maidenbower?

Maidenbower is an 'ok' place to live, the houses are nice, but it is a bit turgid come any type of neighbourly atmosphere. Again, much like any new estates anywhere in the country. The council tried really hard apparently, I've only been here a year so can only go on paper stories
I live in Gossops Green and I don't have to go to Crawley town centre
So did you live in Maidenbower before Gossops Green?

And as I said previously, the road and train links are superb. I can get to the Amex in 40 minutes. I can get to London in the same time. I have an international airport on my doorstep.
You've got to see the irony of the best bit of the town being how fast you can get out :) And how often do you use that international airport?

I also love other towns in Sussex, in fact I just love Sussex. Gods country. So I'll always defend it, except Hastings lol
Hypocrite!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And what about your lines about Eastern Europeans and Third World country, was that acceptable?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't like English towns that are full of Eastern Europeans. What's wrong with that? I'm sure Eastern Europeans would not like their towns to be full of English people.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Serious question - what does it have to offer? Reading posts from the advocates I get the feeling the best bit is how quickly you can get out of it.

So did you live in Maidenbower before Gossops Green?

You've got to see the irony of the best bit of the town being how fast you can get out :) And how often do you use that international airport?

Hypocrite!

No never lived in Maidenbower, but a friend did and as I said, seemed nice enough.
Yes, getting out of Crawley can sometimes be the best thing to do. Same as anywhere.
Yes, hypocrite, hence the 'lol' on my comment.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't like English towns that are full of Eastern Europeans. What's wrong with that? I'm sure Eastern Europeans would not like their towns to be full of English people.

You won't have many places in England to live in soon then. And yes you do know what I'm talking about, perceived naivety is a bit bullshit really.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jobs
Tilgate park
An Imax cinema
A Olympic length swimming pool and all round excellent leisure complex
Professional football
Inexpensive parking
Relatively reasonable traffic
An international airport on the doorstep
The Hawth theatre

Some of that is what you might expect of a town that size, but some of it exceeds it. I'd also say that thankfully, things get built in Crawley. And God it has needed that given the shocking state the town planners of the 60s left the place. Nimbyism is struggling in Crawley. Not like Brighton where self-appointed quangos of about 15 people appear to be able to halt much-needed improvements on a whim.

Well house prices certainly have gone a bit mental, but you may have overdone the exaggeration.
I'm not exaggerating the commute, and we all know about Brighton traffic in the summer. It is shit. I love Brighton, but it has many issues and I do get a little tired about Brighton-based ill-informed dorks on here shooting their mouths off about places they barely know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here