Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

#jokedujour

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Hopefully he managed to do a deal with whoever won the 'Eternal Life' prize - maybe swapped the toaster for a pair of sandals or something. The 'Eternal Life' winner could then hang on to the toaster for a nearly 2,000 years until electricity was invented.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Hopefully he managed to do a deal with whoever won the 'Eternal Life' prize - maybe swapped the toaster for a pair of sandals or something. The 'Eternal Life' winner could then hang on to the toaster for a nearly 2,000 years until electricity was invented.

The thing is, 'eternal life' actually means an eternal life in heaven, and as we all know heaven is jam packed full of toasters, all producing lovely hot buttered toast and crumpets all eternity long, so the Eternal Life winner has little need for a toaster.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Would it have been funnier if the final line had been "But John cam fifth and lost his stake money"...... which is a similar joke I heard several centuries ago. It would do away with any arguments about electrical appliances years ago, but might lead to debate as to whether there was such a sophisticated take on gambling in the Middle east in those days.

Crikey did you witness the competition

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Crikey did you witness the competition

It was deliberate exaggeration to emphasise how old the joke was. But I would guess I first heard it about 35 years ago, and somebody with a greater comedy knowledge than me could probably attribute it to Arthur Askey or someone even older.

PS - I was really thinking of Max Miller - it sounds like his kind of joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here