Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most expensive pies in English football

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I miss the guest pies - Sussex Pie/Sausage & Mash pie were excellent.

The Cheese and onion pasty is minging. Generally use the outside burger/fish & chip stands now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
PS: This accusation goes round NSC every few months and Piglets keep formally denying it.

Plenty of other reasons to criticise, if thats how you feel, the pies VFM (cost, the flavours stocked/specials, how they're re-heated, the service, the bag/box, the service, the lack of brown sauce !, and obviously the price) but this is simply a myth.

I've eaten a myth have I ?

Right-o.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well, there was that Three Things post from [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] that largely got lost in the Zamora binfest but did suggest there were pie supply dramas in the summer..

or alternatively routine contractual discussions/issues with a valued supplier that were quickly resolved...

As for decline in sales and/or the urgency or likelihood of a new supplier then The Argus who admittedly might be using old data but its not far off said "[The Albion]sells around [Piglets Pies] 10,000 pies every game, more than any other stadium in the country."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/13848915.Albion_fans_paying_more_for_pies_and_seats/

Where did it all go wrong [for pies] ?

or alternatively routine contractual discussions/issues with a valued supplier that were quickly resolved...

As for decline in sales and/or the urgency or likelihood of a new supplier then The Argus who admittedly might be using old data but its not far off said "[The Albion]sells around [Piglets Pies] 10,000 pies every game, more than any other stadium in the country."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/13848915.Albion_fans_paying_more_for_pies_and_seats/

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We all seemed to cheer when Azure left, however, the quality seems to have gone with them.

The 'emergency firm' that took over were good, but lost out to Sodexo when it came up for tender. I can't remember the name of the emergency firm, but their service was quick and good.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Piglets vehemently deny it but you don't believe em. Not sure why but fair enough.

Oh for the love of...

Look. I only ever have the steak and ale. The first couple of years they were great - large chunks of meat and plenty of it.

More recently there has been less of it, the chunks have been noticably smaller, not as tender, and I've come across a few fatty bits. That did NOT used to happen, and frankly its put me right off.

You can say what you like. They can say what they like. I'll believe what I stick in my GOB.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Piglets vehemently deny it but you don't believe em. Not sure why but fair enough.

Of course they would deny it. However it is their word against those that eat the pies and the general consensus from this thread is that the pies are not as good quality as they used to be.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

The growth of Piglets thanks to the Albion and its fans is a great local business story. Even the clubs detractors would admit that. Are they all "blind" ?
As for being convinced that the recipe /quality has changed despite vehement public denials by Piglets then fair enough. Be great if you could share some alternative links, evidence, or data that shows otherwise.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The growth of Piglets thanks to the Albion and its fans is a great local business story. Even the clubs detractors would admit that. Are they all "blind" ?
As for being convinced that the recipe /quality has changed despite vehement public denials by Piglets then fair enough. Be great if you could share some alternative links, evidence, or data that shows otherwise.

Do you work for piglets?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Of course they would deny it. However it is their word against those that eat the pies and the general consensus from this thread is that the pies are not as good quality as they used to be.

Half a dozen posts on NSC saying they can't quite remember, some saying they've not noticed any change and admittedly a fair few convinced they are not as good as they used to be is not "a general consensus".

Your defence of all things Albion and anything Albion related is admirable.

I have no such data as you well know, only the comments on here and of others at the Stadium who eat the things.
Maybe their tastebuds have changed, maybe their hands have grown making them look smaller.

Who knows.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Half a dozen posts on NSC saying they can't quite remember, some saying they've not noticed any change and admittedly a fair few convinced they are not as good as they used to be is not "a general consensus".

I havent see anyone post that they cant remember what their pie tasted like. If some people say they have not noticed a change and a fair few, which i would take as more than some, saying that they are not as good. I would say is "a general consensus"

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Do you work for piglets?

Ha ! Obviously.

Because I like and buy their pies and are happy to defend em or challenge what i believe to be unfounded criticism in 4-5 posts that took me 10 minutes to write.

The cheque must be in the post. Thats what the £4.10 goes on :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm glad Piglets has been a success story and that their business is thriving, truly I am. That said - they have a captive audience, with north of 20,000 punters turning up every other week for 9 months of the year. Their pies would have to be absolutely RANCID not to sell extremely well in that environment. And they're certainly not rancid.

However, IMO they're certainly not as nice as they used to be, which for me means £4.10 is now too much. I don't mind paying a bit over the odds if the product is top notch, and I used to regularly. But sadly, it doesn't fall into that bracket any more. So for that reason - I'm out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Possibly. But, as the contract seems to be up at the end of the season we'd be mad not to be talking to other suppliers. FWIW I hope Piglets keep it, Pukka Pies and their ilk are disgusting.

AROUND. I simply cannot believe that they sold 10,000 at games like Millwall, Wigan et al last season when there were probably around 16k in the whole ground. That would mean more than one in two people buying a pie, That's certainly not the case in my group. Bums on seats were also down at the start of the season though Hull and Cardiff would have seen a rise again. Hull, as we know, effectively had a sales break from 2.30 to 3 though. And the picture on that link is certainly old! Balti Pie in branded box :lolol:

I'm not sure it has (yet). Unlike others I think the quality is fine still. It's just a shame I can't get the flavour I want regularly nor can I sometimes get anything at all, For that I firmly blame Sodexo, not Piglets.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Your defence of all things Albion and anything Albion related is admirable.

I have no such data as you well know, only the comments on here and of others at the Stadium who eat the things.
Maybe their tastebuds have changed, maybe their hands have grown making them look smaller.

Who knows.

Ha! Ouch. That stung.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here