Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most expensive pies in English football

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And since that started our choice of pie has fallen from 4 to 2 and the quality has gone that way too - are they trying to be too big too soon.

People moan about the bhafc lickers on here, just look at twitter when piglets post anything, now that's embarrassing

Fair play to the club for giving the gig to local suppliers Piglets. And to be fair, Piglets have pretty much stepped up to the mark, supplier-wise. Can't help but feel that the relationship between the two parties is starting to creak around the edges a bit tho. If you want a pie, you want a pie. Pukka pies would sell just as many, and at least a quid cheaper.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Fair play to the club for giving the gig to local suppliers Piglets. And to be fair, Piglets have pretty much stepped up to the mark, supplier-wise. Can't help but feel that the relationship between the two parties is starting to creak around the edges a bit tho. If you want a pie, you want a pie. Pukka pies would sell just as many, and at least a quid cheaper.

Your are right, everybody will moan and moan if we went down the Pukka route BUT the pies would still sell. I guess piglets had to expand in order to maintain their order book in case they lost their main customer, problem is when the product goes downhill like it has then the demise could be accelerated.

I was so looking forward to their cheese and onion offering as it is my pie of choice at away matches only to be hugely disappointed to find their product is inferior to most away clubs.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The reduced quality of the meat
The reduced quantity of the meat

PS: This accusation goes round NSC every few months and Piglets keep formally denying it.

Plenty of other reasons to criticise, if thats how you feel, the pies VFM (cost, the flavours stocked/specials, how they're re-heated, the service, the bag/box, the service, the lack of brown sauce !, and obviously the price) but this is simply a myth.

PS: This accusation goes round NSC every few months and Piglets keep formally denying it.

Plenty of other reasons to criticise, if thats how you feel, the pies VFM (cost, the flavours stocked/specials, how they're re-heated, the service, the bag/box, the service, the lack of brown sauce !, and obviously the price) but this is simply a myth.

Sorry, don't believe that for a minute, all they said was they use the same supplier.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If you want a pie, you want a pie. Pukka pies would sell just as many, and at least a quid cheaper.

The Piglets contract is a commercial contract not some charity or vanity arrangement on behalf of a misty eyed Albion commercial team who fancy helping out a local supplier.. Its presumably , backed up by research, sales data, competitive analysis, continuing well into its 5th year precisely because all the evidence shows conversely that for Albion fans at least a) "if you want a pie, you want [any] pie" isn't true b) Pukka Pies wouldn't sell just as many and don't at equivalent Championship Clubs c) and that actually £4.10 is the price (even though its mostly combined in pie/pint deals so not actuall price) fans are willing to pay.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sorry, don't believe that for a minute, all they said was they use the same supplier.
Fine. Take it up with them. Taken aback by your willingness to believe they are actively trying to undermine the quality of their own product, upset their own customers and lie to users on Twitter.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was so looking forward to their cheese and onion offering as it is my pie of choice at away matches only to be hugely disappointed to find their product is inferior to most away clubs.

I certainly echo that.

I had one and, at the time, I actually questioned whether it was a C&O pasty. I may have had a cider or two first and didn't think any more of it until I read someone, on twitter I think, saying that they had been given a Cornish pasty when they'd asked for C&O.

This struck me because I had previously commented on how the Amex 'pie roulette' was quite a dangerous game for veggies as if you were given the wrong pie, it would be something you didn't want to, or couldn't eat. Moving to C&O pasties should have removed that element of danger since it was the only pasty shaped product being sold. Or so I thought.

If what I had genuinely was a C&O pasty then I'm with you - it was quite unlike any I've had before and not in a good way!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Piglets contract is a commercial contract not some charity or vanity arrangement on behalf of a misty eyed Albion commercial team who fancy helping out a local supplier.

Sorry, but that's just nonsense. Never said it was a 'charity or vanity arrangement' though it patently was originally an arrangement to try and source local produce. Same as the deal with Harveys. Totally commendable in my view, just so long as the prices remain rooted to what the local community is willing to pay. And that seems to be coming adrift somewhat. Face it, worst comes to worst, most of us will fill our fat faces with any old shit on offer for ninety minutes, whether the price is taking the piss or whether it isn't. How else do you explain those shitty little overpriced plastic bottles of Fosters that gormless sorts actually queue up for at half-time?

Last edited:

Fine. Take it up with them. Taken aback by your willingness to believe they are actively trying to undermine the quality of their own product, upset their own customers and lie to users on Twitter.

Being in Sales myself, there is a huge difference between Lying and not necessarily telling the truth.

Read your twitter reply from Piglets again, then ask yourself if you made a mince pie for example using Tesco finest mince beef then made it again, to the same recipe using Tesco Value mince beef (same supplier of meat you see) would it taste the same?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I don't think anyone would really believe they would sit down and say "let's serve them crap, just to piss them off, then we can lie to them when they question us".

People might believe that they have decided to increase their profit margin by using a more economical cut of meat and hope the drop in quality isn't so far that too many people are unhappy (not an uncommon business tactic - gain of profit hopefully more than compensating for drop in units sold), and that they can still claim to use the same recipe (recipe says add chicken, we add chicken), can still claim to get great meat from Burt's ('all of burt's meat is great) without lying.

Having said that, I didn't notice any particular drop in quality over the first four years. Though I didn't buy them that frequently.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Always be cautious guessing for example, overall Amex matchday spending habits, season ticket renewal rates, 1901 renewal rates, and indeed pie sales, recipes, or future pie sales purely from a tiny sample of North Stand Chat threads or surveys however useful they might be for fan anecdotes or feedback.

PS: Piglets deny they've ever changed their recipe

[tweet]589096301310128128[/tweet]

I see what you're saying. Sales of pies and season tickets might be holding up really well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Piglets contract is a commercial contract not some charity or vanity arrangement on behalf of a misty eyed Albion commercial team who fancy helping out a local supplier.. Its presumably , backed up by research, sales data, competitive analysis, continuing well into its 5th year precisely because all the evidence shows conversely that for Albion fans at least a) "if you want a pie, you want [any] pie" isn't true b) Pukka Pies wouldn't sell just as many and don't at equivalent Championship Clubs c) and that actually £4.10 is the price (even though its mostly combined in pie/pint deals so not actuall price) fans are willing to pay.

I've been told there was at least one director at the time we moved in to the Amex who was extremely sceptical that Harvey's and Local Pie would be a winning combination, commercially, and argued for us to go straight down the lager only and Pukka Pies route. I have also been told that's not his opinion any more. It suggests that the sales data, at least initially, has met or exceeded the expectations that we had.

So why did I post earlier that we might be seeing Pukka next season? Well, there was that Three Things post from [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] that largely got lost in the Zamora binfest but did suggest there were pie supply dramas in the summer. That commercial data, I would imagine, is showing a down turn from when we reached maximum capacity. Partly less bums on seats, partly the novelty has worn off and partly because many people have seen their favourite flavours discontinued or reduced to a special. Meanwhile a survey was sent out earlier this season that asked a lot of questions about catering and, I doubt, received very many good reviews.

So - especially if we go up as there will be 30k ish bums on seats all season - why not use the poor reviews as an opportunity to come in with a supplier who will offer more projected margin? Probably only 1 in 3 would need to buy a pie in those circumstances for the deal to wash its face or for us to be better off.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So why did I post earlier that we might be seeing Pukka next season? Well, there was that Three Things post from [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] that largely got lost in the Zamora binfest but did suggest there were pie supply dramas in the summer. That commercial data, I would imagine, is showing a down turn from when we reached maximum capacity. Partly less bums on seats, partly the novelty has worn off and partly because many people have seen their favourite flavours discontinued or reduced to a special. Meanwhile a survey was sent out earlier this season that asked a lot of questions about catering and, I doubt, received very many good reviews.

I'm 99.9% sure that the pie contract expires at the end of this season. I believe that any issues in the Summer were related to what will happen at pie contract tendering time.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
And yet the exact same pies are sold at Stadium MK for £3.50 and they have to transport them there.

Indeed, don't dispute that the in Stadium catering a making a big mark up, although I'd suggest the unit selling price from manufacturer to them is slightly higher?

If it's sold at £4.10 the VAT is 68p, which was in the "profit" estimate before.

There's also wastage, etc that dents the overall profit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here