Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most expensive pies in English football

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Don't bother now they got rid of the Chicken and Ham.

I didn't really think about the price of a pie as its a small part of what I spend during a Saturday home game. As it stands £4.10 is bloody expensive.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sadly, what started out as a well packaged decent quality product is now, no longer value for money. The product quality has been regularly down graded and likewise the packaging.
Why change a winning formula? It can only be one of two things. Either, the supplier/manufacturer is being squeezed by its customer for better prices and has had to compromise quality or there is a desire to make more money out of the product and use inferior/cheaper ingredients and packaging.
At £4.10 there should be comfortable margin in it for everybody. Cost to manufacturer to make...approx. 0.45-0.60p per unit. Cost to contract caterer/ club...approx. £1.10-£1.30. Manufacturer makes decent profit. Roughly 8000 pies per game x approx. 25 games. 200000 pies = approx. £100,000 ....costs....probably £60,000....Manufacturer makes £40k as well as taking a living wage.
Caterer has decent profit on each pie to play with. So does club. Between them, they can make £500k gp per season from pies.
£4.10 is a very healthy price for a middle-range product. Its pricing suggests premium product, which it certainly isn't.

Having owned a few food buisnesses and I'd like to say I think you're assumptions may be way out. I believe the product is hand-made and has a reasonable amount of meat in it?

I think you'd find that the unit cost, with labour, is probably nearer the £1.15-£1.30 mark?

The food industry is rightly regulated and the amount of checks, compliance and quality control needed drives up the unit cost. People are probably not making as much as you think, especially when you add in the VAT at the point of purchase, wastage, etc.

Having owned a few food buisnesses and I'd like to say I think you're assumptions may be way out. I believe the product is hand-made and has a reasonable amount of meat in it?

I think you'd find that the unit cost, with labour, is probably nearer the £1.15-£1.30 mark?

The food industry is rightly regulated and the amount of checks, compliance and quality control needed drives up the unit cost. People are probably not making as much as you think, especially when you add in the VAT at the point of purchase, wastage, etc.

And yet the exact same pies are sold at Stadium MK for £3.50 and they have to transport them there.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And yet the exact same pies are sold at Stadium MK for £3.50 and they have to transport them there.

So thats a question for Barbs then.

Piglets quite clearly sell them at "X" per pie. What those clubs then whack on as their margin "Y" is down to them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When the Amex pies are good, they're GLORIOUS. Unfortunately they're a bit hit or miss and even the best ones make you do a double-check on whether they're worth upwards of four quid. Combined in a meal deal with a pint of Kronie for £7.50 on the other hand, what is not to like?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When the Amex pies are good, they're GLORIOUS. Unfortunately they're a bit hit or miss and even the best ones make you do a double-check on whether they're worth upwards of four quid. Combined in a meal deal with a pint of Kronie for £7.50 on the other hand, what is not to like?

The queue
The rock hard crust
The lukewarm innards
The reduced quality of the meat
The reduced quantity of the meat
The nasty bag
The lurking fear that its probably the wrong pie

other than that though..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The queue
The rock hard crust
The lukewarm innards
The reduced quality of the meat
The reduced quantity of the meat
The nasty bag
The lurking fear that its probably the wrong pie

Well I for one can overlook the nasty bag. Tho that's a bit of an unfair generalisation towards the catering staff IMHO. I'm far more concerned over the lurking fear that its probably the wrong pint. Unless I see them pour it with me own eyes, I'm pretty sure they often just grab the first pint to hand. Shamefully, it's really hard to tell the difference between the Kronie and the Fosters at the Amex. and nobody on either side of the counter seems to care very much. Sad state of affairs, to be sure.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I used to love the chicken and ham pie. I like chorizo, so would assume I would like the chicken and chorizo pie, but I haven't tried it. I had a chicken and chorizo pasty at work and it was essentially pulled chicken with the chorizo almos melted into the sauce. Well, I say sauce, it was just a glutenous mass and wasn't particularly nice (though wasn't piglets) and has me reluctant to spend so much on a pie.

Can anyone confirm what sort of filling the piglets Chucken and Chorizo pie has? Is it that gloopy mixture type, or are there distinctive chicken chunks and chorizo chunks?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can anyone confirm what sort of filling the piglets Chucken and Chorizo pie has? Is it that gloopy mixture type, or are there distinctive chicken chunks and chorizo chunks?

Think the days of chunks are long gone. Or, in the case of chorizo, were never there to start with. Gloopy is the new normal.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

And since that started our choice of pie has fallen from 4 to 2 and the quality has gone that way too - are they trying to be too big too soon.

People moan about the bhafc lickers on here, just look at twitter when piglets post anything, now that's embarrassing

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Personally don't think there's been much difference in the quality. Still good pies, still better than pies I've had at other places (miles, miles better in fact). Still loads in them, particularly in the chilli pie I had the other week. I have had bad ones on occasion, but not frequently enough that I can detect any trend. Don't think I've had any bad ones this season though. Also had the sausage roll when that was the special and that was absolutely brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here