Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most expensive pies in English football

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Kidderminster's pies are more expensive...

But the shepherds pie looked great. Had a chicken and chorizo pie at the last game and daughter her usual steak pie. Got to say hard to find fault for a mass produced product. The cheese pizza at the previous game was surprisingly good as well.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Glad the food of the gods is still on the menu.

Will trust to luck that the chilli pies are available in WSU for the Bristol City match.

It was a special for that game, It's not a regular pie unfortnately.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I used to buy a steak and ale pie fairly regularly, but its once in a blue moon now. As others have rightly said, the quality has markedly dipped since the first season or two, and at £4.10 that's just not acceptable. Saturdays are no big deal as I have lunch before rocking up, or take a baguette with me. But I don't always have time for dinner before an evening game so would happily go down the pie route to keep me ticking over - but not at those prices for what you get these days. I'll grab something on the way or go hungry.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Think the novelty has worn off somewhat, their sales must have dipped massively in the last couple of seasons. As the quality decreases, the price increases- that doesn't make sense for any business.

I'd rather just have a little nibble of my arm than pay £4.10 for a go at pie roulette. Or just bring food with me, one of the two.
They have made the classic move of reacting to falling sales by reducing quality to try and maintain overall profit. All a bit sad as the original pies in the Albion boxes were a really enticing product.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Again I probably had a pie every week at first. Now I have one (sometimes two) or one of the sausage rolls before an evening game to soak up the beer but never on a Saturday. The quality has been ok with the ones I've had but I normally had the Chicken Balti flavour in the first season and my mate had the Chicken and Ham. Removing these is why we don't bother at weekend games now.

In general the standard of the catering in WSU has gone from average to appalling. My son had a hotdog one Saturday game and pronounced it "disgraceful" after one bite. Hard roll and salty MRM as someone else said. Food is not hot and runs out and the queue times have increased. We must be missing out on a ton of revenue due to this.

Cynically, I think this is a self fulfilling prophecy. Next season I suspect we will get Pukka Pies instead probably at the same price.

I went from 1978-2011 without buying food in football stadia/gigs etc, say what you like but I felt Burger King or Wetherspoons etc offered better value.

When the Amex came along, I was born again, new scarf, albion scratch card, pints, pies, fanzone etc I was only one stop short of buying the foam hand.

Without sounding ungreatful, this lasted for the first season only, soon after that I no longer found the incentive to arrive early/hang about late (with the exception of a certain 3-0)

I just turn up at 2.55, "might" have a pint at half time, and bolt on the final whistle.

I spend my money in town now, I support the club financially via my ST I feel no obligation to buy overpriced shite in the name of "supporting my club", they are not a charity case.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I have a Chicken Balti every game. It's expensive but it's a pretty decent pie and I don't feel ripped off.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
The pie has gone the same way as the matchday programme as I can't justify to myself or Lady Saladpack these extra costs of watching the Albion; and as I don't buy replica shirts which are not "stripes all round" (no panels or plain backs), I'm saving quite a bit! That said, if you can afford to add all these "extras" on top of your ticket, good luck to you.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Now that the only veggie option is a cheese and onion pasty I no longer bother. There were some really inventive and interesting veggie pies to begin with, and I enjoyed a pie a game. Now I have money for an extra pint! So it's not all bad.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
Choice again isn't it.

Some, when they visit the cinema, might pop into Asda first for a bag of popcorn for 99p or spend £3.99 inside for the same. It is all down to part of the day out and for those fortunate enough to be in a position where money doesn't matter so much then convenience dictates so just buy it there whatever the price.

This would be the first area for savings though, either don't eat at the ground or take something with you.

Good idea above, one less pie means another pint!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Sadly, what started out as a well packaged decent quality product is now, no longer value for money. The product quality has been regularly down graded and likewise the packaging.
Why change a winning formula? It can only be one of two things. Either, the supplier/manufacturer is being squeezed by its customer for better prices and has had to compromise quality or there is a desire to make more money out of the product and use inferior/cheaper ingredients and packaging.
At £4.10 there should be comfortable margin in it for everybody. Cost to manufacturer to make...approx. 0.45-0.60p per unit. Cost to contract caterer/ club...approx. £1.10-£1.30. Manufacturer makes decent profit. Roughly 8000 pies per game x approx. 25 games. 200000 pies = approx. £100,000 ....costs....probably £60,000....Manufacturer makes £40k as well as taking a living wage.
Caterer has decent profit on each pie to play with. So does club. Between them, they can make £500k gp per season from pies.
£4.10 is a very healthy price for a middle-range product. Its pricing suggests premium product, which it certainly isn't.

Once I got that far, I realised you are merely plucking figures out of thin air. You're miles out.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Reading virtually every post on this thread (and noting my own non-buying habits) it is obvious that the concourse catering strategy has been a slow motion car crash for three or four seasons. I don't think we can point a finger at the present energetic marketing manager, who has been in the job for months, so who or what is to blame?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I went against form and didn't buy a pie at the Forest game. I have carried this on and now can't buy one in case we lose. If our home form continues, I could end up losing weight.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Reading virtually every post on this thread (and noting my own non-buying habits) it is obvious that the concourse catering strategy...

Always be cautious guessing for example, overall Amex matchday spending habits, season ticket renewal rates, 1901 renewal rates, and indeed pie sales, recipes, or future pie sales purely from a tiny sample of North Stand Chat threads or surveys however useful they might be for fan anecdotes or feedback.

PS: Piglets deny they've ever changed their recipe

[tweet]589096301310128128[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here