Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The BBC Price of Football Survey 2015

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
There's quite clearly errors in the data as well. Just looking at the Championship page, Bolton have a cheapest season ticket of £312 but the price range most season tickets are sold is £201-300. The same for the Fulham - cheapest season ticket is £259 but most popular range is £0-100. You'd think they 'd check the data a bit more closely - I spotted those in the first couple of minutes of looking at it. There's similar errors on the League 1 and League 2 pages as well.

Makes you questions the accuracy of any of the data...

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The cheapest season ticket is £465.00
That's £20.21p per game (23 weeks).

You can make that figure look lower if you feel the urge to, by spreading it out over 52 weeks, but that's a rubbish spin.
The extra 29 weeks you're paying £10.00 p/w for no product/service is only being added to the original 23 weeks payments.

He didn't say £10 per game. He said £10 per week. (It's actually £8.94).

That's the basic fact of what he's talking about.

You're right about the cost of each match, but it was in a response to say football is only for the wealthy, not whether it's good value for money.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's quite clearly errors in the data as well. Just looking at the Championship page, Bolton have a cheapest season ticket of £312 but the price range most season tickets are sold is £201-300. The same for the Fulham - cheapest season ticket is £259 but most popular range is £0-100. You'd think they 'd check the data a bit more closely - I spotted those in the first couple of minutes of looking at it. There's similar errors on the League 1 and League 2 pages as well.

I agree.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
He didn't say £10 per game. He said £10 per week. (It's actually £8.94).

That's the basic fact of what he's talking about.

You're right about the cost of each match, but it was in a response to say football is only for the wealthy, not whether it's good value for money.

Yep, this was clear. That's why I said that you'd be paying £10 p/w for a further 29 weeks with no return (no product or service in return for your £10.00).

It's just a spin. Yes it'll appear more affordable if you tell yourself it's only £10.00 per week for a whole year. When in fact, you're paying for nothing throughout 55% of the year. Just doubling up the cheaper payments for the other 45% of the year.

You could also spin it the other way and say being a Brighton ST holder costs £141.47 per week - but that's just as ridiculous.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep, this was clear. That's why I said that you'd be paying £10 p/w for a further 29 weeks with no return (no product or service in return for your £10.00).

It's just a spin. Yes it'll appear more affordable if you tell yourself it's only £10.00 per week for a whole year. When in fact, you're paying for nothing throughout 55% of the year. Just doubling up the cheaper payments for the other 45% of the year.

You could also spin it the other way and say being a Brighton ST holder costs £141.47 per week - but that's just as ridiculous.

May to the beginning of August is not 55% of the year. It's approx 12 weeks of no football. It's approx 25% of non football to 75% of football.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
May to the beginning of August is not 55% of the year. It's approx 12 weeks of no football. It's approx 25% of non football to 75% of football.

Keep spinning!

For your money, you get 23 days of football, for simplicity, let's call this 23 weeks of football.
There are 52 weeks in a year.
There are 29 weeks where you don't receive a product or service for your money/don't attend Football.

Therefore, 23 weeks of football equates to approximately 45% of the year.

I really can't explain that any simpler.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Keep spinning!

For your money, you get 23 days of football, for simplicity, let's call this 23 weeks of football.
There are 52 weeks in a year.
There are 29 weeks where you don't receive a product or service for your money/don't attend Football.

Therefore, 23 weeks of football equates to approximately 45% of the year.

I really can't explain that any simpler.

As a season ticket holder I can see more than 23 home games. I can go and watch the U21s for example.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think this is where definitions of working class and a working class town differ. I'm not saying either is right or wrong, but my definition of a working class town is one where there are large blue collar industries that employ a significant proportion of the town's working age population. This does not apply to anywhere in Sussex. Who is the largest employer in Brighton itself for example - it's Amex, isn't it?

I'm from Newhaven, it's definitely working class IMHO. That's one Sussex town to counter your "This does not apply to anywhere in Sussex" assertion. There are plenty of others. Also Brighton has huge swathes of areas out to the west and east which i consider working class.

SAC

May 21, 2014
ST price if you take advantage of the subsidised travel is just about ok, ST price if you don't is too expensive.
Match-day tickets for home and away fans are far too expensive.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm from Newhaven, it's definitely working class IMHO. That's one Sussex town to counter your "This does not apply to anywhere in Sussex" assertion. There are plenty of others. Also Brighton has huge swathes of areas out to the west and east which i consider working class.
Do you consider yourself working class?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you consider yourself working class?

We're going off topic here, and I'm unsure of the relevance, but yes I do.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The over priced pies rightly get slagged off on a regular basis, but as mentioned before they probably cost 50p or whatever to produce, it the tea that gets me, it's always £2 or more (£2.90 at Brum) the margin must be about 98%

Miles out.

No, I'm not telling you the actual cost.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm just wondering whether people consider their class as what they do now for a living, or where they came from. You seem to be the latter.

I've always felt it's your beliefs, values and traditions. Mine are working class and I feel this is what defines me. At least I hope it does as I feel quite strongly about my job not defining me.

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
think the whole survey is a bit pointless...everything is getting more expensive (cars, houses, food, clothes) not just football and that's because it's all about supply and demand. We're lucky (or not come to think of it) to have high demand so that means high prices because people will pay them. We've seen demand drop off and the club respond by introducing '5 ticket' bundles and 'bring your mate for a tenner'....but if the demand stays high then so will prices...and clearly there is a high demand for pies...if the prices were too high (most) people wouldn't buy them and over time the price of a pie price would fall.....those that earn a good 'crust' can enjoy a nice pie, im 'deeply-filled' with love for those that can....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I think there are a number of errors in the report, although the BBC was reliant on responses from clubs, who have a self serving reason to manipulate the data.

The Beeb have spent some time collating the data, but then ended up trivialising some of it this morning during their broadcasting, by going on endlessly about the prices of pies at Kidderminster. I suspect they did that to minimise the amount of time spent having to interview self styled football finance experts and their tedious obsessions with ticket prices and TV deals.

I did hear one such bore on local radio describe Crystal Palace as a 'small club'. Why he mentioned this to the listeners of Radio Sheffield though I will never know.......

Jan 30, 2008
think the whole survey is a bit pointless...everything is getting more expensive (cars, houses, food, clothes) not just football and that's because it's all about supply and demand. We're lucky (or not come to think of it) to have high demand so that means high prices because people will pay them. We've seen demand drop off and the club respond by introducing '5 ticket' bundles and 'bring your mate for a tenner'....but if the demand stays high then so will prices...and clearly there is a high demand for pies...if the prices were too high (most) people wouldn't buy them and over time the price of a pie price would fall.....those that earn a good 'crust' can enjoy a nice pie, im 'deeply-filled' with love for those that can....

all paid for on the never never :whistle:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here