BC, Canada
1045.png
-- --
1075.png

EURO 2016 QUALIFYING
Venue: LFF Stadium, Vilnius
Date: Monday, 12 October
Kick-off: 19:45 BST

Everton defender Phil Jagielka will captain England for the first time in Monday's final Euro 2016 qualifier against Lithuania, as manager Roy Hodgson makes wholesale changes.

Jack Butland, Phil Jones and Jonjo Shelvey will also start in Vilnius.

Joe Hart, regular captain Wayne Rooney, centre-back Gary Cahill and midfielders Michael Carrick and James Milner were all left at home.
A win would see England become only the sixth team to win every qualifier.
"We have a very interesting team for Phil to lead out," Hodgson said. "We are ready for the task and will do our level best to win.
"We respect Lithuania. They did very well to get a draw against Slovenia. We will face a very well-organised team."

England have already qualified for Euro 2016 as Group E winners. Hodgson's side beat Estonia 2-0 on Friday in their final competitive fixture on home soil before next summer's tournament in France.
Stoke goalkeeper Butland, 22, has only featured for his national team once before, playing the first half of a 2-1 friendly win over Italy at Wembley in 2012.
Midfielder Shelvey has played for England three times, while defenders Jagielka and Jones have 37 and 17 caps respectively.

_86047443_englandposs.png

Anyone? :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
University Challenge + Only Connect. No chance of watching this pointless dross.

Harsh. England have qualified by a street, its hardly their fault its meant a couple of dead rubbers at the end. I don't really understand the disdain. If we'd stuffed it up and already missed out by now, THEN it would be pointless dross. As it is, I'll be tuning in hoping we make it 10 out of 10.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Harsh. England have qualified by a street, its hardly their fault its meant a couple of dead rubbers at the end. I don't really understand the disdain. If we'd stuffed it up and already missed out by now, THEN it would be pointless dross. As it is, I'll be tuning in hoping we make it 10 out of 10.

Who have England had to beat ? Hardly world beaters . As soon as they come up against a big team they will have problems .

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Who have England had to beat ? Hardly world beaters . As soon as they come up against a big team they will have problems .

Oh yes the Swiss side everyone was raving about at the WC after they looked hugely impressive but as soon as England bash them home and away it's a nothing group full of crap teams! Bit of respect for our country please... People like you would be the first to moan if we were in Hollands position!

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I'm going to watch it in the pub and I am very pleased we have qualified with games to spare.

When the Albion were struggling a bit more than we are now I used to really really look forward to the England games but since The Seagulls have been in the Championship I have found my ardor for the national side slightly blunted. Having said that I will still cheer them on at every possible opportunity. COME ON ENGERLAND

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
The reason people are fed up is because the football served up is just so ponderous and dull without feeling as if we are building towards anything. Yes you can only beat what's put in front of you, but is it really to much to ask for that our bunch of Premier League Primadonnas put in some exciting performances for the national side?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I'm going to watch it in the pub and I am very pleased we have qualified with games to spare.

When the Albion were struggling a bit more than we are now I used to really really look forward to the England games but since The Seagulls have been in the Championship I have found my ardor for the national side slightly blunted. Having said that I will still cheer them on at every possible opportunity. COME ON ENGERLAND

I'm confident that my enthusiasm for the national side will be reignited next year at the tournament proper. A good yardstick as to our progress that will prove to be.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Probably true, history tells us that. But the slagging England get from some quarters for walking through a group, with people calling these games "pointless dross" - its a process to get us to a summer tournament to look forward to next year. And you can be sure that people calling these games "pointless" will then still be tuning in when the Finals begin (and probably hoping we get humped so they can MOAN again).

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Probably true, history tells us that. But the slagging England get from some quarters for walking through a group, with people calling these games "pointless dross" - its a process to get us to a summer tournament to look forward to next year. And you can be sure that people calling these games "pointless" will then still be tuning in when the Finals begin (and probably hoping we get humped so they can MOAN again).

Very negative stance if you don't mind me saying. My point, however small, was that Friday's home game was pretty dull, we are through and so tonight will be both irrelevant and I fear, uninspiring.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7110201]The reason people are fed up is because the football served up is just so ponderous and dull without feeling as if we are building towards anything. Yes you can only beat what's put in front of you, but is it really to much to ask for that our bunch of Premier League Primadonnas put in some exciting performances for the national side?

Agree. When was the last time England genuinely played exciting football? Always play not to lose

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yawn.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not as uninspiring as the finals will be when we either fail to get out of our group or lose in the last 16 or quarter finals (probably on penalties) to a 'crap' nation

We've beaten what has been in front of us, but I just think there is an inevitability about what will happen in the finals. Big send off, bit of false hope then crushing disappointment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here