Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Zealand - South Island

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
OK well travelled people of NSC, assuming the world doesn't end tonight, I am off to New Zealand next Saturday for three weeks to celebrate my 50th birthday.

I have planned most of my itinerary (have hired a camper van) but does anyone have a "must do" or any tips for when I am there? Any Albion bars to find for example?

Thanks!

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
OK well travelled people of NSC, assuming the world doesn't end tonight, I am off to New Zealand next Saturday for three weeks to celebrate my 50th birthday.

I have planned most of my itinerary (have hired a camper van) but does anyone have a "must do" or any tips for when I am there? Any Albion bars to find for example?

Thanks!

No Albion bars in the South Island as far as I'm aware, but lived in Christchurch for a couple of years to 2013 (the in laws live there), and can recommend Akaroa which is a lovely spot about an hour and halfs drive from Christchurch, plenty of sites for camper vans, and good for dolphin / whalewatching. Also quite like the west coast, which would be slightly cooler at this time of year (glaciers, gold mining towns). The driving experience is brilliant though, you'll have a great time!

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
You are in for a treat. I travelled around NZ in 2006 and completed four of the great walks. Christchurch, whilst it has a hell of a lot of charm about it, is very much like England (in my opinion). Marlborough Sounds are a must see as are towns such as Wanaka, which also has the very fun and unique Puzzle World. Wanaka is a short distance from Queenstown which, again, I highly recommend. Little towns such as Picton are also lovely and - if you can find it - had the most delicious fish and chip shop I've ever bought from. I personally loved Dunedin, which is tagged as the "Edinburgh of the Southern Hemisphere". It pissed down every day. However, it does have the Royal Albatross Centre and watching those birds is a right treat. Above all else, visit Milford Sound. Mind. Blown. Enjoy. Very jealous.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Travel about 12 miles south-west of Dunedin. A place called Brighton needs you to have your photo taken by the "village" road sign. Milford Sound cruise a must. When,after driving for an hour without seeing another sole another camper van will probably hove ( see what I did there?) and they probably won't have seen anyone for a similar amount of time. Wave politely at them, they're probably Brits. You lucky b£atard,, have a great time.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Thanks!

Never having been there I can't give you any advice, but it's somewhere I've always wanted to go, and will do one day, so have a great trip.

Driver8

On the road...
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Thanks all. I have Wanaka, Milford Sound, Dunedin and Queenstown on the itinerary. Will find Brighton and Akaroa!

I'm basically doing a round route from Christchurch down to Dunedin, across to Milford Sound via Te Anau, then up to Queenstown, Wanaka,Franz Josef Glaciier, Greymouth and back to Christchurch.

Not looking forward to the flight but can't wait to get there!

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
Thanks all. I have Wanaka, Milford Sound, Dunedin and Queenstown on the itinerary. Will find Brighton and Akaroa!

I'm basically doing a round route from Christchurch down to Dunedin, across to Milford Sound via Te Anau, then up to Queenstown, Wanaka,Franz Josef Glaciier, Greymouth and back to Christchurch.

Not looking forward to the flight but can't wait to get there!

You're basically hitting the right spots. I have lived in Dunedin for 15 odd years but I still think my home area of Golden Bay / Abel Tasman is the best spot in NZ. Its such a pain in the ass out of the way spot from the usual tourist route though. Depends on your timeframes but you could go from Greymouth up to Nelson, do a day cruise into Abel Tasman and walk a few hours and then catch a boat back. Google image search "Abel Tasman National Park", those pictures are not an exaggeration. I was up there in February and took my partner and Dad out for a day trip. If you have an extra day or two and get over to Golden Bay (its a bit of drive in a campervan over the Takaka Hill though) there are many great places to see (google image search "Wharariki" - I was there in February and there were tons of seal pups playing in the rock pools you could walk right up to). Its hard to recommend if you should drop another area though because they are all great spots and everyones a little different to what appeals to them. Your suggested route would be close to what I would suggest to anyone though so you're on the right track.

I've done a bit of online work managing the website for one of the tour companies here in Dunedin so can give you advice if you're looking to hit the peninsula by yourself. If you have any questions shoot - I've been to all these places and know a few "off the beaten track" type places depending on what you are into.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Another vote for Kaikoura. It's wildlife heaven. I'll remember the peninsula walkway for the rest of my life. You can do it two ways, enjoying spectacular cliff top views or mixing with the fur seals on the beach. We did the latter and you really feel like David Attenborough! We whale watched here too and saw a pod of 250 dolphins, a sperm whale and the fin of an orca.

I'd also recommend a walk on the Fran Josef glacier, another incredible experience. Finally, queenstown is the home of bungee and also a great place to sky dive.

Driver8

On the road...
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
You're basically hitting the right spots. I have lived in Dunedin for 15 odd years but I still think my home area of Golden Bay / Abel Tasman is the best spot in NZ. Its such a pain in the ass out of the way spot from the usual tourist route though. Depends on your timeframes but you could go from Greymouth up to Nelson, do a day cruise into Abel Tasman and walk a few hours and then catch a boat back. Google image search "Abel Tasman National Park", those pictures are not an exaggeration. I was up there in February and took my partner and Dad out for a day trip. If you have an extra day or two and get over to Golden Bay (its a bit of drive in a campervan over the Takaka Hill though) there are many great places to see (google image search "Wharariki" - I was there in February and there were tons of seal pups playing in the rock pools you could walk right up to). Its hard to recommend if you should drop another area though because they are all great spots and everyones a little different to what appeals to them. Your suggested route would be close to what I would suggest to anyone though so you're on the right track.

I've done a bit of online work managing the website for one of the tour companies here in Dunedin so can give you advice if you're looking to hit the peninsula by yourself. If you have any questions shoot - I've been to all these places and know a few "off the beaten track" type places depending on what you are into.

Thanks for the great advice. We are staying at Portobello Village on the peninsula but for one day/night only. Hoping to see some penguins!

Driver8

On the road...
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Another vote for Kaikoura. It's wildlife heaven. I'll remember the peninsula walkway for the rest of my life. You can do it two ways, enjoying spectacular cliff top views or mixing with the fur seals on the beach. We did the latter and you really feel like David Attenborough! We whale watched here too and saw a pod of 250 dolphins, a sperm whale and the fin of an orca.

I'd also recommend a walk on the Fran Josef glacier, another incredible experience. Finally, queenstown is the home of bungee and also a great place to sky dive.

Thanks for the advice. I have booked a whale watching trip and kayaking with seals whilst we are in Kaikora.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Yeah, I'm in the capital of the south island. Lol

Hammer Springs is a good place to visit for the pools. The sulphur ones are immense.

Christchurch is still a construction site after the quakes of 2010 and 2011.

If you get a chance, take the inland scenic route instead of SH1 between Chch and Dunedin. You'll pass some amazing lakes and see some truly wondrous sights.

Edit: Kaikoura and Akaroa are both must see places. Kaikoura has a seal colony at the end of the peninsula. Akaroa has some amazing fish and chips and is a very quaint french style town/village.

Also, careful of scrub fires this time of year. There have been a few already and it's still early spring.

Mairakei Boulders near Timaru (from memory) is a strange sight to see. Perfectly formed round boulders.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I think I need to start a new thread about new Zealand rather than hijack the op's thread. were looking to emigrate to NZ so will follow this thread with interest

I'm very envious Mr 8. I did the same a couple of years ago and it was without doubt the best trip I've ever had. 4 weeks on my own in a hired camper van I met some of the most friendly people in the world and saw some of the most beautiful things in the world.
I would add, staying at http://www.moerakivillageholidaypark.co.nz/ with a pitch that overlooks the ocean . Waking up to the sound of the day fishing fleet chugging out towards the rising sun then eating their catch at the fantastic http://www.fleursplace.com/ in the evening.
Try and do a flight with this lot http://www.classicflights.co.nz/wanaka-scenic-flights/. Absolutely fantastic.
But mainly just open your eyes and get dizzy from the sights you'll see.
Have a splendid time (you will) , lucky fella.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Moeraki. That's how you spell it. I was typing on my phone and couldn't remember. :D

If you get a chance to do the day trip from Christcurch to Greymouth and back on the TranzAlpine train it's worth it. Not exactly cheap but the train ride through the mountain is very enjoyable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here